News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Recommended vendors for rebuilding calipers, master, steering setup, carbs

Started by BeaterGT500, October 15, 2020, 12:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeaterGT500

Finally putting 683 back together after 40 plus years of dormancy.  The entire power steering, front suspension and brake systems need to be redone.  Rather than replace it all, I prefer to have each subassembly properly restored by someone competent.  So far I've found Chockostang for steering component restoration, Anghel Restorations in AZ for all the brake system and front suspension components, and the BJ BK carb master in the midwest (his name escapes me now).  Am I on the right track with these folks?  Any others highly recommended?  Not shooting for concourse points, but proper functionality and keeping all the date coded items intact. 
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

Kent

For the carbs I can suggest Carlsfordparts I was there some years ago, great guy with a lot of knowledge about the bj/bk´s there is a member here in the forum that also rebuild the bj/bk´s who also do an excellent work from what I heard. Roger Rode is also doing steering boxes very well he did some of my boxes, chockostang is also very good. Anghel Restoration is a 1* there are some people here in the forum that also do a great job on such pieces. Try to find people that worked on many shelby´s or judge them regulary so you cant go wrong.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

csheff

U can add Jim Cowels for most parts and Drew Pojedinec for the cards.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: csheff on October 15, 2020, 05:20:04 PM
Jim is one of the best however he is not taking on new work until he gets caught up with in house orders.  https://shelbypartsstore.com/
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69 GT350 Vert

I have had good experiences with chockostang for steering rebuilds. 

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 69 GT350 Vert on October 15, 2020, 09:15:42 PM
Thanks. I need to pull apart a PS setup I have to get the original idler arm rebuilt. Did they do an idler arm for you? He has some for sale on Ebay. I cantacted him originally in Feb and he was on winter break due back in the spring but I still have not pulled mine apart. Only non correct part on my Boss 302 suspension(got dinged in judging). Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

Quote from: csheff on October 15, 2020, 05:20:04 PM
There is a local Carb guy to us Craig that  hopefully I will be able to try this winter. My friend Tom is trying to see if he has the time to do 2 69 "M" code carbs for me. He has done some high dollar carbs for Tom. I miss Mike Riemenschneider. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

69 GT350 Vert

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on October 16, 2020, 06:33:59 AM
Quote from: 69 GT350 Vert on October 15, 2020, 09:15:42 PM
Thanks. I need to pull apart a PS setup I have to get the original idler arm rebuilt. Did they do an idler arm for you? He has some for sale on Ebay. I cantacted him originally in Feb and he was on winter break due back in the spring but I still have not pulled mine apart. Only non correct part on my Boss 302 suspension(got dinged in judging). Gary

I purchased an original, rebuilt idler arm from them 5 years ago. They also rebuilt and detailed my steering box, tie rods, control valve, slave cylinder, power steering pump. They returned the entire system assembled with power steering hoses installed and ready to go.  No complaints and no leaks after 5000 miles.  Also, very good phone support even on weekends.

csheff

Gary, u would be hard pressed to find anyone better at restoring and setting up your carb than Drew

CharlesTurner

Quote from: csheff on October 16, 2020, 10:28:25 AM
Gary, u would be hard pressed to find anyone better at restoring and setting up your carb than Drew

+1
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbymann1970

Quote from: csheff on October 16, 2020, 10:28:25 AM
Thanks guys. I know Drew generously posts here on carb issues . Does Drew have a web site? Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

csheff

Drew Pojedinec

I'm here too 😃
Sadly I'm gone this winter, will be back in Feb.
I'd be happy to help, but obviously that might not work with your schedule.

Either way, sounds like a fun project, good luck!