Author Topic: Correct Hose Clamps for water pump bypass & heater hoses 68 GT350, 4 spd  (Read 2111 times)

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I am preparing for the winter projects and one will be replacing the thermostat housing.  Why I am at it I want to make sure I use the correct hose clamps.  What style clamp is used for the small bypass hose between the Tstat housing and the water pump? 

Also why I am at it what are the correct hose clamps for the two heater hoses that attach to the intake manifold and water pump?

One last question, should the upper heater hose going thru the firewall go to the intake manifold or the water pump?

Thank you for your help.

Corey

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Correct Hose Clamps for water pump bypass & heater hoses 68 GT350, 4 spd
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 04:47:04 PM »
All are Wittek tower clamps

The intake fitting hose goes to the bottom hole on the firewall.

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 05:01:44 PM »
Thank you Pete!

68gtcoupe

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 05:52:10 PM »
I was about to chime in but Pete beat me to it. 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 06:43:07 PM »
If you want to be technical the Whittek hose clamp used on the bypass hose is typically the slightly different #2 marked clamp instead of the #10 clamp that comes in kits for the heater hoses. The #2 clamp has a slightly thinner width band and the machine screw is a smaller size although the head is the same 3/8  hex. The #10 clamp is correct for the heater hoses. I think it had to do with what was installed at the Cleveland engine plant (bypass hose) vs. what was installed on the assemblyline (heater hose) at the different plants. It also may have something to do with the close quarters with the bypass hose. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 07:19:22 PM »
Thank you Bob!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 09:36:06 PM »
Although technically correct it is very hard to tell the difference . The #2 clamps are hard to find so I think given the visual is minimal that it is more prudent to make sure all of the highly visible items are correct first.  Just my opinion others may have a different one.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 08:59:35 AM »
Although technically correct it is very hard to tell the difference . The #2 clamps are hard to find so I think given the visual is minimal that it is more prudent to make sure all of the highly visible items are correct first.  Just my opinion others may have a different one.
Learned something new Bob. Thanks. Your knowledge is incredible. Now I need to go look at my Whittek  clamps I just had plated. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 09:36:55 AM »
I have been collecting the skinny #2 clamp for last 30 years since they are hard to find and they are used on boss 429s in lima plant also. I think it was a engine plant thing since the dearborn FEs used the regular heater hose bypass clamps. The bypass hose was different also depending on the engine plant ribbed vs smooth type.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 09:43:06 AM »
I have been collecting the skinny #2 clamp for last 30 years since they are hard to find and they are used on boss 429s in lima plant also. I think it was a engine plant thing since the dearborn FEs used the regular heater hose bypass clamps. The bypass hose was different also depending on the engine plant ribbed vs smooth type.
You, too, Ed. You, Bob, and others have been great sharing your knowledge over the years. I have 2 diffent styles of Whittek clamps(2 and 10?). Do all have date codes on them?  Gary
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 09:50:12 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 12:24:06 PM »
You, too, Ed. You, Bob, and others have been great sharing your knowledge over the years. I have 2 diffent styles of Whittek clamps(2 and 10?). Do all have date codes on them?  Gary
The vintage ones typically yes . Many modern ones no.

TedS

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 02:36:09 PM »

Did I read somewhere the bypass hose is supposed to be heavier wall thickness than heater hoses?

Ted

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2020, 02:45:19 PM »

Did I read somewhere the bypass hose is supposed to be heavier wall thickness than heater hoses?

Ted
Yes in the context of a bigblock which is commonly substituted with heater hose. Keep in mind that this thread is about a smallblock which has a contoured hose that can not be substituted successfully with heater hose.

TedS

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2020, 04:37:38 PM »
You're right Bob, thanks.  My apologies to the thread. Been a long time since I worked on a SB, figured they were similar.