Author Topic: '67 GT350, no. 20 - Falcon Hood Prop  (Read 7198 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
'67 GT350, no. 20 - Falcon Hood Prop
« on: October 18, 2020, 02:12:22 PM »
You all may have noticed car no. 20 has been offered up for sale recently, and as my friend Michael always says 'they want ALL the money for it.'  Interestingly though, it has a Falcon hood prop installed.  That's something I always read was rumored to have been installed on a few of the first 100 cars, but is rarely seen.  But I do remember a few of the Shelby guru's saying that they never actually came that way from Shelby American.  So which is it?  Do we have any other documented double digit cars with the Falcon hood props from the factory? 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

rmarble57

• View Profile
Re: '67 GT350, no. 20 - Falcon Hood Prop
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 03:00:43 PM »
#23 shows no evidence of a prop rod ever being installed and curious why it would even be a "thing" since the early cars use the metal framed hood and regular springs.

I wish these guys the best selling their car and not to try to sway anyone one way or another, but for transparency, it appears that the car as side stripes installed as a '68 car and also the inserts on the KH wheels are painted instead of natural.  I only mention these 2 things because of the verbage in the previous registry saying "one of the most correct" '67's.   

Very stand up car and anyone should be proud to own it.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 03:48:39 PM »
Not to mention the lack of red oxide underside.  Stripes can be fixed rather easily, but this is a big ticket item to change IMHO.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 05:14:23 PM »
You all may have noticed car no. 20 has been offered up for sale recently, and as my friend Michael always says 'they want ALL the money for it.'  Interestingly though, it has a Falcon hood prop installed.  That's something I always read was rumored to have been installed on a few of the first 100 cars, but is rarely seen.  But I do remember a few of the Shelby guru's saying that they never actually came that way from Shelby American.  So which is it?  Do we have any other documented double digit cars with the Falcon hood props from the factory?
I have studied these cars extensively for many years . Not that I have seen them all but have seen many hundreds which is enough to formulate a reasonable opinion. I have a high confidence level based on the evidence or lack there of that the prop rod was not typically used on a regular production 67 Shelby from the factory. As rmarble57 pointed out there would be no reason for it given the steel inner structure which allowed for full size Mustang hinge springs which had no problem holding the hood up. From my experience stories like that are typically made up to justify a non original aspect. The burden of proof would be on the story teller in a case like this.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Sixx7shelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 07:02:08 PM »
When I saw #20 in the early 80 when Claude owned it, it had a aluminum tent pole attached to passenger side radiator support to hold up the hood. Car was kinda rough, with a 2 barrel carb on an adapter with stock carb in the trunk. Car had power steering and standard fan, no a 66 hipo fan. Very cool car indeed.
67 GT350 #1482
69 Eliminator 428SCJ
97 Cobra
86 SVO

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 08:07:15 PM »
Not to mention the lack of red oxide underside.  Stripes can be fixed rather easily, but this is a big ticket item to change IMHO.

I would guess an entire disassembly and repaint is needed to fix that?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 10:47:50 PM »
When I saw #20 in the early 80 when Claude owned it, it had a aluminum tent pole attached to passenger side radiator support to hold up the hood. Car was kinda rough, with a 2 barrel carb on an adapter with stock carb in the trunk. Car had power steering and standard fan, no a 66 hipo fan. Very cool car indeed.
For clarity 67 GT350 did not come with a 66 hipo fan. In 67 the hipo used a 4 blade fan that was also used on non hipo applications.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 05:37:13 AM »
Did the early cars use Koni front shocks?

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 06:30:01 AM »
Did the early cars use Koni front shocks?

No
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

Sixx7shelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 06:36:36 AM »
For clarity 67 GT350 did not come with a 66 hipo fan. In 67 the hipo used a 4 blade fan that was also used on non hipo applications.

Yes Bob, just stating how the car was at one time after it was restored and before it was restored. Power steering was reinstalled and hopefully original fan is back in place, (can’t see from photos).  Beautiful Shelby indeed. 
67 GT350 #1482
69 Eliminator 428SCJ
97 Cobra
86 SVO

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 09:52:12 AM »
  Well, you get a lot of push back from the self-declared experts.  The magstar paint issue, the "how much over spray (underspray?) on the chassis, other things that are hard to prove no matter how much investigation you do.
   I will say that, I have no idea how they store that prop rod as it looks a little too long to fold down anywhere, but, this might have been one of those Shelby/American "let's try it" things.
   They want 225K, and I hope they get it.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 10:57:47 AM »

Yes Bob, just stating how the car was at one time after it was restored and before it was restored. Power steering was reinstalled and hopefully original fan is back in place, (can’t see from photos).  Beautiful Shelby indeed.
I thought you knew better but your post could be taken the wrong way so the clarification was meant for others reading so that they did not get the wrong idea.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 11:12:02 AM »
  Well, you get a lot of push back from the self-declared experts.  The magstar paint issue, the "how much over spray (underspray?) on the chassis, other things that are hard to prove no matter how much investigation you do.
   I will say that, I have no idea how they store that prop rod as it looks a little too long to fold down anywhere, but, this might have been one of those Shelby/American "let's try it" things.
   They want 225K, and I hope they get it.
225K price which I also hope he gets aside ,FYI the hood prop rod was already tried in 65 Shelby production before they solved the spring /support problem. SA research and development of what works and what doesn't in 1965 production is more reason to conclude that SA didn't go backwards in development 2 production years later for 67. 

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 02:04:59 PM »
Yes, best of luck with the sale.

It’s amazing how information can be outdated so quickly.

I forget, is that the correct rocker stripe configuration?

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 02:38:28 PM »
Yes, best of luck with the sale.

It’s amazing how information can be outdated so quickly.

I forget, is that the correct rocker stripe configuration?

It's not... easy to fix
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0