Author Topic: '67 GT350, no. 20 - Falcon Hood Prop  (Read 7194 times)

csx289

• View Profile
Re: '67 GT350, no. 20 - Falcon Hood Prop
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 04:33:55 PM »
Hi Guys,

I am the one representing the sale of #20 for my good friend, who now in his late 70s has decided to trim back his Shelby collection a bit.

In any event, as for the much maligned Falcon prop rod I can't say who installed it or when. It always seemed silly to me but the debate on this item  on these early 2-digit factory show cars predates time it seems lol. Could it be part of a show car thing for added safety that the hood wouldn't fall? Again, I don't know and if nobody has a definitive answer 53 years later we may never have one. I do know it has been on #20 for at least 20 years so didn't have the heart to remove it. Of course, one cotter pin and poof it is gone if one desires.

Rocker stripes: When I originally bought the car in 2007 through Curt at Cobra Auto it had '66 style side stripes. It was explained that they went along with the other '66 "early" features like the smooth '66 seat covers. When my friend had my shop re-paint the car in 2014 to remove the incorrect LeMans stripes (my pet peeve) the decision was made to put '66 style rocker stripes back on. But, if the buyer wants '67 style ones I have a hair dryer and a stripe kit handy and will happily swap them out no charge. No paint will be required, just a quick re-do of the center of the front fender stripes.

I know it is just my opinion, and that and five bucks will get a curbside pickup cup of Starbucks, but I think #20 is a very special car. It is a unique early car with a great history, has all of the right bits, original tag, engine, etc. and a great deal of money has been spent making it run and drive as good as any old Mustang can.

As always I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and lively discussions here so thanks!

Sincerely,

Colin

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 10:09:07 AM »
  I'm curious.  Was that car (#0020) displayed at MCACN just a few years back? 

JohnHouston

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 11:45:40 AM »
Hi Guys,

I am the one representing the sale of #20 for my good friend, who now in his late 70s has decided to trim back his Shelby collection a bit.

In any event, as for the much maligned Falcon prop rod I can't say who installed it or when. It always seemed silly to me but the debate on this item  on these early 2-digit factory show cars predates time it seems lol. Could it be part of a show car thing for added safety that the hood wouldn't fall? Again, I don't know and if nobody has a definitive answer 53 years later we may never have one. I do know it has been on #20 for at least 20 years so didn't have the heart to remove it. Of course, one cotter pin and poof it is gone if one desires.

Rocker stripes: When I originally bought the car in 2007 through Curt at Cobra Auto it had '66 style side stripes. It was explained that they went along with the other '66 "early" features like the smooth '66 seat covers. When my friend had my shop re-paint the car in 2014 to remove the incorrect LeMans stripes (my pet peeve) the decision was made to put '66 style rocker stripes back on. But, if the buyer wants '67 style ones I have a hair dryer and a stripe kit handy and will happily swap them out no charge. No paint will be required, just a quick re-do of the center of the front fender stripes.

I know it is just my opinion, and that and five bucks will get a curbside pickup cup of Starbucks, but I think #20 is a very special car. It is a unique early car with a great history, has all of the right bits, original tag, engine, etc. and a great deal of money has been spent making it run and drive as good as any old Mustang can.

As always I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and lively discussions here so thanks!

Sincerely,

Colin
I know you are trying to sell a car . . . but a what a nice, thoughtful post and approach to the items that seemed to concern people.  Well done!  John Dillman

csx289

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 12:59:25 PM »
Hi roddster yes I had 0020 at MCACN previously- I'm one of the owners of the show and have assembled the "Shelby Snakepit" display a few times over the years. #20 was also at SAAC 39 at Road America with our stable in 2014 where Chuck Cantwell signed it and also took it for a drive. That was fun.

And JohnHouston thank you. These are just cars and we are all in this hobby to have fun so I always find it best to have conversations rather than try to start wars. After all every member on this site is here because of our shared enthusiasm for Shelby American. Having a spirited "picking the fly shit out of the pepper" (as Kopec says) debate is par for the course when you get this much knowledge and passion in one place. All part of the fun!

Sincerely,

Colin

rmarble57

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 01:03:46 PM »
I wanted to chime in also that i meant no disrespect pointing out a couple items on the car.  I continue to learn about the hundreds of differences and changes througjout to 1967 Mustang/Shelby year model.  I do hope you get your price!

csx289

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2020, 01:26:47 PM »
rmarble57 no disrespect taken at all. I appreciate all opinions in these public forums even if some are quite misguided lol. As for the price I can assure you 0020 sold for a LOT more the last time and a great deal of money has been spent on it since but the owner is realistic. If a NOM non-two digit car restored by Orlando brings 165k on BaT, #0002 brought $264k at Mecum, and it is reported 0018 sold for $235k not to mention some other "eye opening" sales on lesser cars at Mecum et al I think the price on 0020 is appropriate. Once it is sold it might be a long, long time before another two-digit PR/Show car hits the open market. I've had a lot of activity of a car and there are some ongoing discussions so I feel fairly confident that it will find a new home. I know I'll be sad to see it go, if I didn't have my '67 GT500 (1797) that I love so much I'd buy 0020 for my own collection but I am told one '67 is enough- and I really do enjoy sleeping indoors.  :D

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2020, 01:30:51 PM »
I've owned (9) double digit 67 GT 350's.

Your price is reasonable ....

Bret

rcgt350

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2020, 10:32:51 PM »
Does the prop rod hook to something when it’s in the down mode? You mentioned a cotter pin, I assume that holding it in place on the hinge end?
 Is this the original engine, trans, and rear diff section to the car?

csx289

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2020, 09:14:23 AM »
Hi rcgt350 yes it is the original numbers matching engine and drivetrain. The hood prop lays nicely between the hood pin and core support when not in use. Yes, the cotter pin I referenced is what holds it in the core support.

Lots of info and video at this link:

https://colinsclassicauto.com/inventory/1967-shelby-gt350-serial-0020-factory-show-car/

If you need anything else you can email me at comer.colin@gmail.com and I'm happy to help.

Sincerely,

Colin

Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2020, 09:49:24 AM »
Frankly, if I'm a buyer, I could give two shits about the hood prop-correct or not.  Yes, it's a nice topic of conversation for the purists.  The rest of the car looks solid.  Isn't it as simple as this-the more the car fetches, the better for all of us who own them.  I owned, restored and sold a very correct (and lower) double digit car a few years back.  This car won't last long at the asking price-imo.   

rcgt350

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2020, 10:15:58 AM »
Thanks Colin, I should have read closer on the drive train info too. I’m not a buyer as I already own 0031, just like to keep up on the early builds.
Many thanks.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2020, 11:46:42 AM »
Quick question, why would a two digit 67 gt350 have more value then three, four digit car? I understand the earlier cars had inboards and the roof scoop lights but what would make them more desirable? On the 66 carryover cars I understand the draw - they are unsold 65's, so what's the draw on a two digit 67 ? since the entire production run was all made in the same place with the same SJ supplied cars?

P.S. not trying to start a fight I just want to understand the interest. 
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

rmarble57

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2020, 12:09:15 PM »
IMHO, the allure of an early '67 car lies simply in its' uniqueness compared to later cars.  You either like the differences and celebrate them or it doesn't matter.  The selling prices of 67's as of late have been scattered from a driver quality at $160k to a nicer example at $195k last week as well as a color change at $135 also last week.

Some people put value in "Concours", some in "Driveability", some in "Speed", some in "Beauty", some in "Mine's Different".
To each his own.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2020, 03:22:02 PM »
Quick question, why would a two digit 67 gt350 have more value then three, four digit car? I understand the earlier cars had inboards and the roof scoop lights but what would make them more desirable? On the 66 carryover cars I understand the draw - they are unsold 65's, so what's the draw on a two digit 67 ? since the entire production run was all made in the same place with the same SJ supplied cars?

P.S. not trying to start a fight I just want to understand the interest.

Great question. Having owned an early double digit 67 and now a 66 Carryover, I can share a view on both. 

The entire 67 model year went through a number of running changes (JD has put together a great document that captures all, if not most, of these changes). What’s especially unique to the early 67s are parts for which have not been reproduced (outside of a one-off situation): i.e.; the one piece slant grill. These unique (often times rarely used) parts make these 67s (IMO) extremely attractive.

As far as 66 Carryovers: contrary to what has been expressed in the past, these cars were not unsold 65s. In short, they were a batch of 252 1965 HiPo Mustangs ordered to allow 1966 Shelby GT350 production to continue with our a break, given the shutdown for retooling required by Ford. Chuck Cantwell’s book and the www.carryovergt350.com website will do much better justice in explaining these cars and the changes they represent from non-Carryover 66s.

I hope this helps!

Nothing beats a classic!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2020, 04:20:06 PM »
Nice synopsis Ruben,

I wouldn't want to pay a premium for a carryover or a 2-digit '67, but I get it.

I was willing to pay a premium to have a Nightmist, 4-speed inboard car tho lucky for me, that premium was smaller at the time.