News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 Clutch fork the same across Shelby's and Mustangs?

Started by cboss70, October 19, 2020, 09:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 19, 2020, 07:59:30 PM
Quote from: 68stangcjfb on October 19, 2020, 06:12:10 PM
Yes you're right. I just looked at a 390 fork I have lying around . Sorry. I got that part number number off the Coralsnake site. But the '68 GT500 fork I'm pretty sure has a part number on it that's different from the Cobra Jet fork which is C8OE-7515-D. I had one but I didn't take a picture of the part number before I sold it. But did the correct for '67 fork have a C7 part number stamped on it?
The fork used on the 67 GT 500 did not have a metal stamped engineering number into it like the CJ fork did.

What is the "paint" finish that you expect to see on this arm and for that matter the equalizer as well? Black oxide or just plain steel or what?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on October 28, 2020, 10:13:19 AM
Yes you're right. I just looked at a 390 fork I have lying around . Sorry. I got that part number number off the Coralsnake site. But the '68 GT500 fork I'm pretty sure has a part number on it that's different from the Cobra Jet fork which is C8OE-7515-D. I had one but I didn't take a picture of the part number before I sold it. But did the correct for '67 fork have a C7 part number stamped on it?
The fork used on the 67 GT 500 did not have a metal stamped engineering number into it like the CJ fork did.

What is the "paint" finish that you expect to see on this arm and for that matter the equalizer as well? Black oxide or just plain steel or what?
The expectation is a finish that looks like fresh bare steel on both the equalizer/Z bar and the fork arm. Don't forget to darken the welds of the Z bar with gun blueing to mimic the darker weld material at the joining points.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Blue'd welds? It's my own fault for asking?  ::)

I just saw a "metallic" paint in Lowes that I'm going to try. If it matches the cap it will be nice.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on October 28, 2020, 01:05:01 PM
Blue'd welds? It's my own fault for asking?  ::)

I just saw a "metallic" paint in Lowes that I'm going to try. If it matches the cap it will be nice.
Be careful what you ask for. ;) 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

I have a Ford service part that has no identification stamped into it.

If I understand this correctly, if the snipped off corner can be replaced and camouflaged then there will be no external give away to the replacement fork?  :)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on October 30, 2020, 05:49:34 PM

I have a Ford service part that has no identification stamped into it.

If I understand this correctly, if the snipped off corner can be replaced and camouflaged then there will be no external give away to the replacement fork?  :)
You are over simplifying the effort but yes to your question. FYI you are not the first to think of this solution.  You may be surprised at the labor involved to accomplish the look not to mention the skill to pull it off. Been there done that. ;)  A modified CJ fork is the best way to get the proper function and look. Of course you will also have to modify the pivot point in the bellhousing to accommodate the different style fork . You have to disguise the replacement machine screws for the replacement pivot to look from the outside like undisturbed factory rivets.   FYI the fork is made of hardened type steel and is very hard to work with.

shelbydoug

I've found button head screws often pass for rivets.

I have another fork that I can sacrifice for the formed metal missing.

The weld doesn't need to be structural, just cosmetic.

It's just a thought Bob. Who knows were it will go. Maybe something to keep me busy in the shop?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on October 30, 2020, 07:29:54 PM

It's just a thought Bob. Who knows were it will go. Maybe something to keep me busy in the shop?
Best of luck with success..

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 30, 2020, 09:18:32 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on October 30, 2020, 07:29:54 PM

Best of luck with success..

Thank you.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!