Author Topic: Mounting Single carb Branda Oval Air Cleaner  (Read 1484 times)

RSOHC

• View Profile
Mounting Single carb Branda Oval Air Cleaner
« on: October 19, 2020, 02:38:54 PM »
I have an older single carb Branda oval air cleaner I would like to safely mount on a engine in a GT500. Attached in photo of the air cleaner base mounted with a 1/4" - 20 x 2" flanged bolt with serrations.  I am using a serrated head bolt and blue lock tight to attach the base to the carb.  There is a space between the carb and the bracket attached to the air cleaner base.  The base is not mounted tight enough and it turns on the carb.  I have also included a scan of the installation hardware kit currently offered by Branda for a new style air cleaner base.  I can shorten the bolt as one option.  Any other ideas for solving this problem would be appreciated. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 02:42:10 PM by RSOHC »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Mounting Single carb Branda Oval Air Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 02:41:40 PM »
I think the factory used a stud with a separate nut

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 02:49:05 PM »
I have an older single carb Branda oval air cleaner I would like to safely mount on a engine in a GT500. Attached in photo of the air cleaner base mounted with a 1/4" - 20 x 2" flanged bolt with serrations.  I am using a serrated head bolt and blue lock tight to attach the base to the carb.  There is a space between the carb and the bracket attached to the air cleaner base.  The base is not mounted tight enough and it turns on the carb.  I have also included a scan of the installation hardware kit currently offered by Branda for a new style air cleaner base.  I can shorten the bolt as one option.  Any other ideas for solving this problem would be appreciated.
That is a picture of the early style 68 Shelby air cleaner base.It utilized the two holes in the lid. The base was held by the made on bracket to bolt to the carb. The majority of 68 production had  that bracket eliminated and the studs were snipped off . A hole was drilled in the center of the lid to align with the stud in the carb and two silver electrical box type plugs were installed in the two normal lid holes. The center stud is what held the base and lid in place. You could still move it with little effort. As Spec Ed say's "that's just the way it is"
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 03:01:18 PM »
They actually cut the bridge off many bases because of the potential to interfere with the choke plate.

You might try a thicker gasket on top of the carb 😀
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 03:23:59 PM by Coralsnake »

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 06:48:56 PM »
Make an indexing tab and use VHB tape or pop rivet to base. A U-shaped tab will keep the base from rotating just like a typical Ford air cleaner base. 3M VHB tape will work in most instances but not sure how it will perform in a gasoline and heat environment. Pop rivets would be my choice.

Don
gt350bp

RSOHC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 08:44:43 PM »
Here is my solution where I constructed a bridge connecting the front air filter stud and the front carb air vent using several chevy starter shims.  The shims were welded in place with the air filter off of the car.   

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 11:25:57 AM »
Yup. Good job!

Don
gt350bp

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 09:58:44 AM »
Here is something simple that may help you?

The Holley carb is threaded 1/4"-20. If you use a 1/4" coupling nut, use a short piece of 1/4"-20 threaded rod to attach it to the carb and then use a 1/4" bolt on top through the air cleaner base mounting bracket, it will probably hold the base tight enough to stop it from rotating without bending and distorting the base bracket?

Here is a picture of what I am talking about on my secondary carb. You can see the coupling nut sitting under the retaining bracket.

The nut is going to be about 7/8" long out of the package so you can either cut it to length or stack two to get the right height.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!