News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Fire Burned GT500 on eBay

Started by Shawn, October 22, 2020, 01:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Greg on October 23, 2020, 10:01:08 PM
Quote from: Shawn on October 23, 2020, 05:42:04 PM
How rare is this car?  What would one bring today fully restored?  Yes the restoration would certainly be on the high end here not to mention the cost of "Shelby" parts the melted.

There were 172 close ratio 4 speeds cars and the ad states the Marti breaks it down to 1 of 35.
to be clear on Marti reports on 69-70 Shelbys they can be VERY misleading. First off it is 1 of 35 GB cars with black interior-both GT350 and GT500. No break down like you see with many other cars from Marti in that how many of those 35 or even the 55 GB cars were drag packs. How many were 4 speeds? Now I know there were at least 3 as I found one at a show(thought it #3051?) that was one close to my VIN and was the same combo (#3052).  Marti starts at one thing on non Shelby cars then goes down and down until he gets to 1 of 1 if possible. Like I said he doesn't do that with Shelbys from my experience. Back in the 2000s Vinny broke my car down and I'm sure he could with this car also. My GT350 vert was 1 of less than 10 like it but the Marti report doesn't reflect it. Marti should have done my vert as 1 of 57: of 57 12 were red(Marti shows 27 so 15 were GT500s): of those 7 were 4 speeds; of those 5 had black interior white tops IIRC-got it written down somewhere. But in reality I call it one of 57 or those who are picky 1 of 194(69-70s). Now only 23 of the 57 were 4 speed cars on my Marti report as shown below. So if you wanted a 4 speed 70 Gt350 vert there is a good chance there are LESS than 23 of them in existence. My GB 70 GT500(repainted RED).  Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

FL SAAC

Quote from: Rickmustang on October 22, 2020, 06:49:52 PM
CA emissions car. Very hard to restore....

This will turn into a money pit.....pass
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Also might be a tough resale in the future  given it's "history"...... :-X

FL SAAC

Usually we estimate what ever we think we are going to spend on a car and we multiply it by two.  So if you say $25K by the end of the resto we are at close to $50k
In this case mutiply it by FOUR and that should give you a good number.....

Currently at $28,300 good luck buyers !

I have all UNGOLD cars

Don Johnston

Those who have restoration parts to sell should keep track of the auction and get ready to contact the buyer. 8)

Well,they will need LOTS of parts....... :o

FL SAAC

Some people just have all the luck....the crispy barn find has been sold !

I have all UNGOLD cars

Bill

For ease of future documentation on the car:
   0F02R482171
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

Don Johnston

Now we wait for its appearance at a SAAC convention for the popular choice challenge.

FL SAAC

Quote from: Don Johnston on October 24, 2020, 11:11:25 PM
Now we wait for its appearance at a SAAC convention for the popular choice challenge.

Should be the peoples BBQ choice award

I have all UNGOLD cars

Should be the peoples  BBQ!!! Just add charcoal...Hell,it's not like you're going to hurt it more....

FL SAAC

This car, the other car in the mud and the one on Craigslist a.k.a. the sugar cookie car all need LARGE CASH INFUSIONS plus TIME, lots of TIME.

Money has a present value and so does time.

At the end of the journey he or she will look back and realize that for less money they could gave been riding and enjoying a S H E L B Y all that lost time.

A very wise old man once told me " el tiempo perdido hasta los muertos lo lloran" did not get in then, but its very clear to me now.

Adios

I have all UNGOLD cars

Survivor

Well spoken and so very true.  I thought about bidding and then sat and had a cold beer instead.  Cleared my head right up.  Tempting, however...

Greg

There were a few things that concerned me on this one (I know, only a few  ;D).

1) Could the fiberglass be reformed and saved so as to retain the numbers to an original type of degree, I highly doubt it.
2) Not having the original engine, that really hurts the value overall and lots of expensive pieces to find.
3) The tainted VIN will always haunt the car.
4) When the new owner does it get restored, they better have clear photo's showing the process and not just "showing up" with a done car or everyone will be saying, re-body.   Then they will have a nice conversation piece for an heirloom.

If anyone knows the new owners, recommend they should do a youtube on it, "phoenix out of the ashes" series, I would subscribe to watch that one.

Shelby's and Fords from Day 1