Author Topic: 6S1341 - On Bring A Trailer  (Read 13568 times)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 6S1341 - On Bring A Trailer
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2020, 12:59:41 PM »
Isn't this gentleman a world renowned restorer and saac judge ????

Here is the answer to saving this fine automobile.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2020, 01:17:00 PM »
Isn't this gentleman a world renowned restorer and saac judge ????

Here is the answer to saving this fine automobile.

Not sure about being a Judge, but definitely a rare Shelby parts seller and a master with a Sharpie.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2020, 02:13:23 PM »
I have seen a whole lot worse restored, there are a lot of rare parts still with this car so at least the new owner isn't starting over in finding $$$$ parts. 

This car is for the person that can do and enjoys doing the metal work themselves and is proficient in doing it correctly.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 07:23:05 PM by Greg »
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2020, 03:11:43 PM »
I have seen a whole lot worse restored, there are a lot of rare parts still with this car so at least the new owner isn't starting over in finding $$$$ parts. 

This car if for the person that can do and enjoys doing the metal work themselves and is proficient in doing it correctly.

+1

The best way to attempt repairing the metal is to find a nice '66 San Jose coupe with a close scheduled build date.  Save as much of the sheet metal panels on the Shelby as possible by patching where it makes sense.  Cut out and replace areas too far gone with sections from the coupe... i.e. full floor, frame rails, rockers...  This will require an enormous amount of time, paying a shop to do it would be extremely expensive.

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2020, 03:32:53 PM »

This car if for the person that can do and enjoys doing the metal work themselves and is proficient in doing it correctly.

Agree completely. Don’t forget the Hertz pulled out of the dirt in the last year or so that was so bad it almost broke in half... “praise the lord let’s save that Ford”
6S373
6S1276

Sfm6sxxx

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2020, 08:33:31 PM »

Agree completely. Don’t forget the Hertz pulled out of the dirt in the last year or so that was so bad it almost broke in half... “praise the lord let’s save that Ford”

Ironically, the number for that car was 1431. 

6S1114

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2020, 08:01:13 AM »

The one pulled out of the dirt in Ohio was not 1431 it’s 1582, the pictures of the restored car shown at the end of the YouTube video were 1431 (my car).  I collected sheet metal and other OEM and NOS parts for 30 years before starting to restore, car had lots of rust from being a daily driver for years.
The car on BaT is bad, but I’ve seen worse but it will take a lot of time to get it done right
There are a lot of original parts on the car on BaT
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2020, 08:20:55 AM »
I agree. Its best to leave restorations and restoration advice to people that have experience in those areas. You can share your opinion, but if its not based off actual experience its not as valuable. There are some that enjoy the journey.

Same goes for the burned 1969. Just my opinion, others may feel differently.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:20:44 AM by Coralsnake »

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2020, 09:04:12 AM »
This car, the other car in the mud and the BBQ  special, all need LARGE CASH INFUSIONS plus TIME, lots of TIME.

Money has a present value and so does time.

At the end of the journey he or she will look back and realize that for less money they could gave been riding and enjoying a S H E L B Y all that lost time.

A very wise old man once told me " el tiempo perdido  hasta los muertos lo lloran" did not get in then, but its very clear to me now.

Adios

The one pulled out of the dirt in Ohio was not 1431 it’s 1582, the pictures of the restored car shown at the end of the YouTube video were 1431 (my car).  I collected sheet metal and other OEM and NOS parts for 30 years before starting to restore, car had lots of rust from being a daily driver for years.
The car on BaT is bad, but I’ve seen worse but it will take a lot of time to get it done right
There are a lot of original parts on the car on BaT
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 09:21:53 AM by FL SAAC »
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

tomhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2020, 09:31:14 AM »
Wrong Intake its a repop S1ms, replacement carb alt pulley wrong. Unusable steering wheel. List goes on. Look closely at the stamped 6S# that is not a 13 looks like 17 traction bars rusted off the rear frames. Its sad what we used to pay for very clean cars and what is out there now to choose from. At much higher. prices. I could do the work but what is the final product? A chopped rebuilt welded up Shelby. And could you take it out and really drive it? Good luck to the new owner.

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2020, 10:42:30 AM »
It all depends on your skill level and desire to do a project.  Realistically, this car could be done right in less than three years by someone and done at a reasonable cost, IF you have the skill to do it yourself and consider the process fun. 

This is not the car for someone that can only write checks or you will be really frustrated and upside down at a rate of $3-4000 per week for 52 weeks at best.

The person that buys this will have the skill to do so and will have fun doing it. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2020, 10:45:17 AM »
+1 👍
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2020, 10:53:37 AM »

I would hope a perspective buyer would ask the seller if in fact the motor is free and will turn over. To my knowledge that hasn't been established.

tomhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2020, 11:41:57 AM »
I agree with Mr. Turner. A rust free donor would be great. I have restored several Mustangs And Shelbys over the years. Spent 3 years restoring a K code 66 GT convertible. Traded that for #750 A 66 Shelby. Would love to restore this car. But would have to be sure the numbers add up. Never paid a shop so dont know the cost. It does have some good parts, not all bad. But myself I would have to verify all serial #s with Howard before a purchase. I think they all should be saved.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2020, 12:06:19 PM »
I'm friends with a gentleman who runs a great restoration shop with an excellent reputation near me. I've seen that he is smart enough to acquire cars like this or the Bar-b-que special for a decent price and just sit on them.  Eventually, their value will justify a full on restoration, but not now.  You'd probably do better than parking your money in a savings account.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative