Author Topic: 6S1341 - On Bring A Trailer  (Read 13569 times)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 6S1341 - On Bring A Trailer
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2020, 12:54:22 PM »
It all depends on your skill level and desire to do a project.  Realistically, this car could be done right in less than three years by someone and done at a reasonable cost, IF you have the skill to do it yourself and consider the process fun. 

This is not the car for someone that can only write checks or you will be really frustrated and upside down at a rate of $3-4000 per week for 52 weeks at best.

The person that buys this will have the skill to do so and will have fun doing it.

You bring up excellent points

Your skill level is worth $ multiply that times your man hours. If i had to guess you would have what ever the acquisition cost will be + $150 if not close to $200k in parts and labor.

Whats the present day value of one of these already driving,  no rust ( not concourse) and reliable that you can enjoy now?

Betcha its a lots less than restoring these....

Others mention finding another donor vehicle ( body swap) or dynacorning it. Then you would not truly have a Shelby, just a stang with Shelby  numbers that you transfered.

Folks everyone on this site should know better and would probably stay away from all these cars. 

Those who would want you to proceed must have an interest in selling you all the needed parts or  offering you their restoration services.

Unless you have a sentimental value or attachment to it, or it truly is a one of one i.e. lil red or the only 1967 convertible etc.  Then and only then you take the dive and restore it any any cost.

But these are not those one of ones....time waits for no one, gota go something just bit my line....
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

davez

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2020, 01:54:07 PM »
Here's your San Jose donor if you on the east coast
but with a 29J date wouldn't be date correct
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Ford-Mustang-Pony-Interior/124389552199?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 02:07:49 PM by davez »

shelbyluva

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2020, 02:31:41 PM »
Some enjoy the restoration route, whether doing a substantial amount of the work themselves or acting as the general contractor.  Some don't look at is as an investment or financial move, and do it solely for the love of the car and the work.  We can be thankful for many of the restored cars that we have bought and enjoyed, as these individuals who are not money or time motivated brought them to us in the way that we enjoy them, as already restored cars.

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2020, 04:18:22 PM »
Some enjoy the restoration route, whether doing a substantial amount of the work themselves or acting as the general contractor.  Some don't look at is as an investment or financial move, and do it solely for the love of the car and the work.  We can be thankful for many of the restored cars that we have bought and enjoyed, as these individuals who are not money or time motivated brought them to us in the way that we enjoy them, as already restored cars.

I totaly agree , and if every body was doing things only with money motivations  we wouldn't be on this forum now !

Chad

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2020, 04:56:01 PM »
Here is the answer to saving this fine automobile.
Now that is funny!

shelbyhertz66

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2020, 10:26:59 AM »
The only thing missing on this car is the barnacles.
I have restored several Mustangs and Shelby's and have the skills to
do most of the work myself and have always done it for the love of the cars first. As the cars have
increased in value you can no longer ignore the money aspect of it. It is a beautiful car but will always have a
rusty history and possibly a replacement tag. It is an affordable way for someone to buy their dream car
who otherwise could not ever own one, and I believe that is the kind of buyer it will take.  I just hope they
can do the work themselves otherwise they will be hopelessly upside down. What usually happens is someone
thinks they have the skills to do it but once taken apart they give up and the car sits for 30 more years.  There are
plenty of skilled metal workers who could save it. the car deserves to be saved and restored , good luck to whomever
gets it , they will find many here who have been there done that and can help with advice and services.

JohnHouston

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2020, 10:58:19 AM »
It strikes me as odd that the tag was replaced, it appears, a long time ago???

Best of luck to the seller and the buyer.  Love the car, but both will need it.

jpd

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2020, 03:51:12 PM »
Very eloquently expressed and we agree with your sentiments

do most of the work myself and have always done it for the love of the cars first. As the cars have
increased in value you can no longer ignore the money aspect of it. It is a beautiful car but will always have a
rusty history and possibly a replacement tag. It is an affordable way for someone to buy their dream car
who otherwise could not ever own one, and I believe that is the kind of buyer it will take.  I just hope they
can do the work themselves otherwise they will be hopelessly upside down. What usually happens is someone
thinks they have the skills to do it but once taken apart they give up and the car sits for 30 more years.  There are
plenty of skilled metal workers who could save it. the car deserves to be saved and restored , good luck to whomever
gets it , they will find many here who have been there done that and can help with advice and services.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2020, 04:07:53 PM »
  :D :D :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

ve4mm

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2020, 05:01:01 PM »
Build apartments if you want to become wealthy.
Cars for me are a hobby.
I have a few and never planned to make any money on them.
I built myself 100 apartments since 2010 and have done well so I can afford to buy more cars.
I built a FFR Cobra in 1998/99 and that was fun. Building 100 apartments was just as much fun since I was the Engineer
and general contractor. The apartments are a hobby. My Engineering practice is my full time deal.
A Shelby Mustang restoration like this 1966 would be fun as well.

MM

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2020, 04:23:07 PM »
Wow! Big money at $98500!
6S373
6S1276

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2020, 04:30:20 PM »
Well sold.
65 GT350

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2020, 05:00:51 PM »
Add to that $98,500 a buyer's premium of 5% or just shy of $5K.  I'm still scratching my bald head trying to figure out how the buyer will come out down the road in a few years.  Perhaps they have a '66 San Jose' fastback roller sitting in the back of their garage.
5S071, 6S1467

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2020, 05:12:38 PM »
This will be the first 1966 that will be over $300K if properly done, congratulations to the lucky seller  !

Wow! Big money at $98500!

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2020, 05:39:23 PM »
This will be the first 1966 that will be over $300K if properly done, congratulations to the lucky seller  !

Think that might be the cost of doing the car especially if farmed out and in the end it will likely be a collection of parts rather than something that reflects what an original car would look like. Time will tell but believe money could have been better spent with another choice. Just an opinion
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge