News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

6S1341 - On Bring A Trailer

Started by silverton_ford, October 22, 2020, 03:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pchmotoho

Quote from: shelbyhertz66 on October 30, 2020, 06:54:53 PM
Re bodying this would be terrible in more than one way.
The original body or as much a possible needs to be retained and fixed , as
painful and drawn out as the procedure will be.  If they choose the
easy way out they will regret it later.   But wait there is always the survivor class.

But did it really survive? Perhaps, perhaps not.  I don't know. Either way I hope the buyer enjoys his new purchase.  I too will be curious if the transaction actually goes thru. 

tomhawk

Instead of a resto mod that is a rusto mod. How much is rust worth a pound? I think maybe will drive my cars in the salt. Should increase in value. Right?

Bill

Personally, if the buyer is real, I'm actually hoping they display the car "as is" and forget about a costly restoration.

SAAC can then open a new show category labeled "As Found"  ;)

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

FL SAAC

Ladies and gentlemen lets just wish the new buyer the very  best wishes on an enjoyable restoration, that's all that matters
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

camp upshur

The buyer dropped about 100k for a presumably clean title to SFM6S1341, the bones of an original drivetrain, and a few other select items and his journey begins. I applaud him and wish him the very best. He owns 1341 despite all the snarkiness. He has bought in to the dream. Whether he 'restores' it or 'rebodies' it, it will be the same. 1341 brought back as best he can. What the F is wrong w that?
We got colleagues on here who drop 4x that and their cars are 'only' missing a 3939s, or a G2, better yet, periodically in the 65 world, we have these embarrassing arguments where the guys w original 'sheetmetal' (and wrong engine)  wank against the guys who have their original engines but not their original 'sheetmetal'. OMFG!
It is truly too bad that 1341 was allowed to structurally degenerate to this deplorable state, but equally impressive that the market  still has this respect for SAI. Get on the train where you can and do your best. I think it's really cool.

Greg

A lot of folks including me, missed out on "low" $ cars 20-30 years ago because we felt they were priced to high.  For me, it was a British racing green 289 cobra for $75K from the original owner but at the time the price might as well been $7.5MUSD because I didn't have the money. 

One thing I believe, the original cars regardless of condition will continue to rise over time because of the marque.  But keep in mind, we have to show them, drive them and support the hobby so people see them out and about and the demand stays strong. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

sfm5

Quote from: camp upshur on November 01, 2020, 01:42:37 AM

The buyer dropped about 100k for a presumably clean title to SFM6S1341, the bones of an original drivetrain, and a few other select items and his journey begins. I applaud him and wish him the very best. He owns 1341 despite all the snarkiness. He has bought in to the dream. Whether he 'restores' it or 'rebodies' it, it will be the same. 1341 brought back as best he can. What the F is wrong w that?
We got colleagues on here who drop 4x that and their cars are 'only' missing a 3939s, or a G2, better yet, periodically in the 65 world, we have these embarrassing arguments where the guys w original 'sheetmetal' (and wrong engine)  wank against the guys who have their original engines but not their original 'sheetmetal'. OMFG!
It is truly too bad that 1341 was allowed to structurally degenerate to this deplorable state, but equally impressive that the market  still has this respect for SAI. Get on the train where you can and do your best. I think it's really cool.

+1     Lets hope the new owner becomes a SAAC member (if they aren't already a member) and gets the benefit of all the knowledge, experience and access to hard to find parts needed to get 1341 back to a roadworthy state, so they can enjoy it!
65 GT350

tomhawk

Just trying to add some humor with my earlier post. I have said before I think they all should be saved. It is only money, they print new every day. But the cars of the past  are the what SA is all about .  Lets face it this car will need a restoration. And it could be restored with all Ford sheet metal. And I hope the new owner can do most of the work .  Just look at this forum, people here sell nos sheet metal all the time. Buy a CA. coupe and go at it. Wouldnt have to be a rebody. 6 months it could be on the road again.

shelbymann1970

Hopefully this can answer the "whys" as to why the buyer bought the car for that price. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Greg

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on November 02, 2020, 06:58:42 AM
Hopefully this can answer the "whys" as to why the buyer bought the car for that price. Gary

That is a person that will love that car, it went to the right person!

FL SAAC

Perfect match + 1

Quote from: Greg on November 02, 2020, 08:00:59 AM

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbymann1970

I have never bought a restored car in my life. Original cars yes but not restored. I restore my cars for better or for worse.  :) . I KNOW what is done to them. Seems to me that is what this guy is talking about as his post can be taken the wrong way I think by some. He wants to make sure it is done right and he can control it from the beginning as you never know until later on if a car was "done right" unless it was done by those who have a spotless reputation for doing cars right. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Greg

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on November 02, 2020, 08:38:26 AM

I have never bought a restored car in my life. Original cars yes but not restored. I restore my cars for better or for worse.  :) . I KNOW what is done to them. Seems to me that is what this guy is talking about as his post can be taken the wrong way I think by some. He wants to make sure it is done right and he can control it from the beginning as you never know until later on if a car was "done right" unless it was done by those who have a spotless reputation for doing cars right. Gary

+1

greekz

That explains the purchase for me.  Hope he joins the Forum and posts the process.  I, for one, would enjoy seeing the transformation.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

CharlesTurner

Quote from: greekz on November 02, 2020, 12:50:17 PM
That explains the purchase for me.  Hope he joins the Forum and posts the process.  I, for one, would enjoy seeing the transformation.

Greek

+1... he can avoid a lot of mistakes by leaning on SAAC to help guide him on the best way to approach this restoration.  It's not going to be for the faint at heart and will require considerable resources (time/$$).
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge