News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Steering wheel R&R---wheel puller?

Started by Tinface, October 24, 2020, 09:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinface

Gentlemen--
I need help figuring out what wheel-puller to use to remove a 1966 GT 350 original steering wheel. Does anyone know what wheel puller I should purchase on amazon to pull an original steering wheel off my car? I'm going to replaced it with a steering wheel I purchased from Dan on this site.

Thank you,

Tin

jk66gt350

Unless it is rusted on, most come off fairly easily if you loosen the nut until the top of the nut is flush with the top of the shaft, pull up on both sides of the wheel while giving the top of the shaft / nut a sharp rap or two with a hammer.  The wheel should pop loose.  Easier with two people.  Wheel pullers are not usually required.  If you are careful to ensure the nut is not lower than the center shaft, you can't hurt the threads so no downside to trying this. 

427hunter

Quote from: Tinface on October 24, 2020, 09:12:49 PM
Gentlemen--
I need help figuring out what wheel-puller to use to remove a 1966 GT 350 original steering wheel. Does anyone know what wheel puller I should purchase on amazon to pull an original steering wheel off my car? I'm going to replaced it with a steering wheel I purchased from Dan on this site.

Thank you,

Tin

For a one time use any cheap on the shelf auto parts store wheel puller will work. You don't need anything special..
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Make sure you leave the nut on loosely or you may have a "real headache"(or black eye,or both)when it pops loose.....

JohnHouston

All good advice so far.  Many auto parts stores loan them, as well.

John

Tinface