Author Topic: Who's making our parts?  (Read 2043 times)

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Who's making our parts?
« on: October 16, 2020, 11:17:10 AM »
Interesting article about the problems with new replacement parts for classic cars.
https://classicmotorsports.com/articles/column-who-making-replacement-parts-we-rely/
Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
Re: Who's making our parts?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 11:52:25 AM »
That post is  from 2015 but it is still a problem. The American companies that buy their products from factories in Hong Kong or Vietnam or mainland China don't seem to be serious about quality control. Very often I get electrical parts that are failed right out of the box from big name vendors. I recently got a trio of reproduction steering wheels all with the horn ring assembled improperly so that they were shorted to ground. Temp sending units built with wildly improper thermistors so the gauge reads full hot with the engine barely warmed up.

It has increased my tendency to steer towards NOS parts whenever possible.

Interesting article about the problems with new replacement parts for classic cars.
https://classicmotorsports.com/articles/column-who-making-replacement-parts-we-rely/
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 02:22:52 PM »
   All of a sudden made in Mexico doesn't sound so bad LMAO BTW made in Japan is usually high quality. Taiwan , well you get what you pay for.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 03:48:41 PM »
   All of a sudden made in Mexico doesn't sound so bad LMAO BTW made in Japan is usually high quality. Taiwan , well you get what you pay for.

+ 1
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 08:49:57 AM »
Repro parts are simply put a "nightmare." I have many examples of this from my Boss 302 and 67 GT350.

I have had many many many parts that were bad from a BIG place that when you go to their website, you see that they sell stuff for other brand cars also, even trucks like Toyota.....That to me is a warning sign. Guys who do not wander and stay focused on Mustangs and Shelbys tend to be much better even when a part is defective. (nothing really bad about a Mustang and FORD place, buy TOYOTA, as Lie'n Biden would say, "Come on guy's")

I just do not see the argument that, 6 cyl. guys want to buy cheap parts vs. Shelby guys who "usually" want to buy the "Good" parts. That to me is like saying, I want to set myself up for a breakdown on the highway, or I want everyone to see how cheap I did my car over.

I like my guy who, does his best to "restore" a part or panel that is original. The problem also, these guys are getting old. I hate to see how future "projects' will be restored. Caring how a car is "done over" will be an issue.
RARE  Signature Delete

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 08:55:51 AM »
I made a similar comment about the lack of quality many years back on VMF and about 60% of the responses were in favor of having the cheap parts.

Most people don’t  care, with few exceptions. They would rather flush $20 than pay $60 for something that is quality and US made.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 09:06:38 AM »
Shiiiiiiinaaaah
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 10:23:04 AM »
I made a similar comment about the lack of quality many years back on VMF and about 60% of the responses were in favor of having the cheap parts.

Most people don’t  care, with few exceptions. They would rather flush $20 than pay $60 for something that is quality and US made.

They feel that way about nearly every thing. The Chinafication of America.

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 12:51:35 PM »

They feel that way about nearly every thing. The Chinafication of America.

Not to get political but I call it the Walmart syndrome since they along with Bill Clinton's help were the ones who started importing everything from China... >:(

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 02:00:44 PM »
It's expensive to tool up to make 1,000 parts. The equipment is expensive. The machinist will make at least $60 an hour to make the tooling. The guy running the machine to produce the part $20+ an hour. The person who packs and sells it $10 an hour. Contrast that against offshore wage prices of a couple bucks a week. Would you pay $100 for a part vs the $15 offshore one that looks the same?
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 08:02:25 PM »
Agree with most all of these posts, but the thing that really gets me is when little things are made so shitty that they bend. break or just don't work when you go to use them. Thing like clips, w/o Moldings, hood moldings etc. Can it really be that much more expensive to make them out of better material? I mean if you can sell a hood molding for 28.00 that wont hold a clip or bends when you look at it, cant they just make it out of even slightly better metal and sell it for $32? Some of this stuff is just complete crap and could be produced at a better quality level for marginal costs increase.

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 08:09:35 PM »
My philosophy is to pay the price upfront so you only have to do it once....

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 08:35:54 PM »
It's expensive to tool up to make 1,000 parts. The equipment is expensive. The machinist will make at least $60 an hour to make the tooling. The guy running the machine to produce the part $20+ an hour. The person who packs and sells it $10 an hour. Contrast that against offshore wage prices of a couple bucks a week. Would you pay $100 for a part vs the $15 offshore one that looks the same?

I dont think the parts look the same. If one does not fit, it cannot look the same.
RARE  Signature Delete