News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Midland Booster sources to buy or rebuild?

Started by cboss70, October 26, 2020, 11:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cboss70

I am going through my brakes and need a new booster. If anyone know a source for the new look alike Midland replacement boosters please PM me. Also, I guess as an option I saw on Rock Auto they have a relationship with someone who will rebuilt my old one for around $240.  If anyone has a recommendation for an alternative rebuilder let me know (not sure what I'd get out of a rockauto rebuild!).  Thanks.

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbymann1970

I bought a Cardone rebuilt one for my 68(67s same) when I had it. 68 was 99 and a 69 was 149. Well the first 2 came in as 69s in the 68 box(Bendix). Auto parts store called up the warehouse and they physically opened up the boxes to find 2 Midland boosters( one for me and one for a 68 T-bird owner). I picked the best one(was mint no pits). Right now Rock auto has a 68 application but says Bendix for 99 plus 193 core charge. Out of midlands. Heck for the 40 dollar core charge back in 2007 I kept my original Midland booster as a spare. You might want to try your local auto parts dealer about a booster. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

FYI I had a friend go through 3 different autoparts store replacements before giving up and having one rebuilt. The labor of installation and removal is not something to dismiss . I hate doing these replacements  and would only have to do it once so I would highly recommend getting one rebuilt from a reliable source. The Booster Dewey group is who everyone I know sends theirs to.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

cboss70

That's great thanks for the feedback. I don't want to redo it twice so at least now I have a plan.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 26, 2020, 02:22:37 PM
FYI I had a friend go through 3 different autoparts store replacements before giving up and having one rebuilt. The labor of installation and removal is not something to dismiss . I hate doing these replacements  and would only have to do it once so I would highly recommend getting one rebuilt from a reliable source. The Booster Dewey group is who everyone I know sends theirs to.
I don't disagree  with you Bob and my Cardone lasted 6 years and was working good when I sold the car. My problem with booster Dewey? He was MOVING at the time when I needed mine done and was out of commission for months or I would have had mine done for the reason you mentioned Bob. At the time back in the late 2000s Dewey was the only one who came up on forum references that I remember so I rolled the dice on a 140 dollar booster(kept my old Midland). Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Kent

Where can I buy the parts only for the booster?
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Kent on October 27, 2020, 02:37:19 PM
Where can I buy the parts only for the booster?
NPD .pg 89 of newest catalog.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BeaterGT500

I installed a NOS booster that came with my car 20 years ago.  No engine in the car yet, but now I'm thinking I should just send the original booster out to get rebuilt, since chances are even the NOS one in a box that long will have leaking issues?  Now is the time to do it before the engine is in.  Anyone have issues with an older NOS booster leaking due to dry rotted rubber parts over time?
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BeaterGT500 on October 27, 2020, 11:39:31 PM
I installed a NOS booster that came with my car 20 years ago.  No engine in the car yet, but now I'm thinking I should just send the original booster out to get rebuilt, since chances are even the NOS one in a box that long will have leaking issues?  Now is the time to do it before the engine is in. Anyone have issues with an older NOS booster leaking due to dry rotted rubber parts over time?
Absolutely. What you describe is a very common and annoying issue. It happens often enough that I would not trust a NOS one given the trouble it takes to install and un install one. 

JD

I got an NOS booster for the car I had (it had the wrong type in it when I got it) didn't even try to install it just sent it to Dewey for new insides then installed it.

Also, while on the topic - the booster, master cylinder, lid and bail were all painted semi-gloss black as an assembled unit before being installed in the car.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

BeaterGT500

Thanks for the confirmation of my concern.  I'm pulling the NOS one and sending it along with the original to Dewey for rebuilding. Then I'll sell the fresh NOS one and easily recoup the cost.
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BeaterGT500 on October 28, 2020, 01:16:50 PM
Thanks for the confirmation of my concern.  I'm pulling the NOS one and sending it along with the original to Dewey for rebuilding. Then I'll sell the fresh NOS one and easily recoup the cost.
You can typically tell a service replacement booster from a assemblyline booster by the FOMOCO stamped into the metal of the service booster. I tell people if using a service replacement booster to do some bodywork and fill in and repaint.