News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Correct coil bracket for 68 GT350, 4 sp, no A/C car

Started by Corey Bowcutt, October 26, 2020, 07:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

As I comb thru the engine compartment trying to make things as correct as I can I see my coil is mounted in what I believe to be the incorrect location.  It is currently to the front of the motor in front of the drivers side head.  From what I have been told and have seen in pictures I believe it should be mounted on the passenger side on top of the intake manifold.

First of all is on top of the intake manifold on the passenger side the correct location for my February 12, 1968 GT350, 4 speed, no A/C car?

Secondly, I am working with WCCC to get me the correct original bracket for the coil and I am told there are several different styles to choose from.  Can anyone tell me what the correct coil mounting bracket looks like?  Any pictures would be great.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Corey

TLea

Depends. Does car have original cast intake or recall aluminum? If recall the expectation would be top of intake assuming S7 or later S2 intake but dealer could have put it otherwise. I've seen passenger cylinder head as well

Corey Bowcutt

It is a recall aluminum intake. I will look tomorrow to see if it is S7 or S2. Would the coil clamp be different depending S7 or S2?

TLea

CharlesTurner

Quote from: TLea on October 26, 2020, 08:12:13 PM
Depends. Does car have original cast intake or recall aluminum? If recall the expectation would be top of intake assuming S7 or later S2 intake but dealer could have put it otherwise. I've seen passenger cylinder head as well

4sp has thermactor... did you mean driver side cylinder head? 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake

With that date code, it could be anywhere the (Dealer) person who switched the intake put it.

In other words, there is no standard way, however the stock location would be preferred.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

JD

You may already know, but the aluminum (recall) intake (S2 or S7) needs to have the extra bosses (red circles) like on the intake shown on the bottom of the attached image for the coil...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Corey Bowcutt

Pete, When you say stock position are you referring to on top of the intake manifold on passenger side?

Also when Tim says it is standard "J" code bracket are they marked and the correct one is marked with a "J"?

I just checked and I have the S2 aluminum intake and it does in fact have the boss shown in the bottom photo.

Corey

Coralsnake

J code refers to the engine code (only)

The coil bracket is very generic and used on a lot of small blocks over multiple years.

Technically the S2 intake is not correct. The recall parts are S7 and the dealer was supposed to use the S7 intake.

I guess one could make the argument that if a dealer had a S2 intake they could have used it.

The reason you see such a variation on the coil placement is because the vast majority of these were never factory installed. On top of the intake would be the most correct position in my opinion.

Coralsnake

Krelboyne

I am working with Corey on this. I have come up with 2 different coil mounting brackets #1 and #2. Both will attach to my 'special' S2MS-9424-A intake manifold. Coil bracket #2 is common on a 1968 J code engine with cast iron intake manifold. Coil bracket #2 will fit the S2MS intake, but the corner is against the runner. Coil bracket #1 is notched to not touch the runner on a S2MS aluminum intake, but will not fit a 1968 302 cast iron intake. I do not have access to a S7MS intake manifold.

Corey, I think that coil bracket #1 is the best fit for your intake manifold, nice fit, and no possible gauging.

Are either of these styles of coil brackets found on the S7MS intakes?
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

Coralsnake

I think one is a small block (1) and the other is a big block (2)

The coil bracket doesnt change with the manifold swap/recall.

I think we are getting to why the S2 wasnt used and the location of these coils is spastic