News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Correct coil bracket for 68 GT350, 4 sp, no A/C car

Started by Corey Bowcutt, October 26, 2020, 07:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Krelboyne on October 27, 2020, 06:52:30 PM
I am working with Corey on this. I have come up with 2 different coil mounting brackets #1 and #2. Both will attach to my 'special' S2MS-9424-A intake manifold. Coil bracket #2 is common on a 1968 J code engine with cast iron intake manifold. Coil bracket #2 will fit the S2MS intake, but the corner is against the runner. Coil bracket #1 is notched to not touch the runner on a S2MS aluminum intake, but will not fit a 1968 302 cast iron intake. I do not have access to a S7MS intake manifold.

Corey, I think that coil bracket #1 is the best fit for your intake manifold, nice fit, and no possible gauging.

Are either of these styles of coil brackets found on the S7MS intakes?
The S7MS that mounts the coil on the intake and S2MS that mounts the coil on the intake are virtually identical intakes .What fits on one will fit on the other.  The typical smallblock coil bracket #1 in your picture  is what will fit best on ether intake . Both brackets will equally fit however. I do not see a problem with the coil bracket from the cast iron J code intake fitting on ether the S7 or S2 intake.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on October 27, 2020, 08:18:13 PM
I think one is a small block (1) and the other is a big block (2)

The coil bracket doesnt change with the manifold swap/recall.

I think we are getting to why the S2 wasnt used and the location of these coils is spastic
I missed as to what we are getting to why the S2 wasn't used. Please fill me in.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

As I have not tried an S2, I was going by the previous post

Quote"Coil bracket #2 will fit the S2MS intake, but the corner is against the runner."

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on October 28, 2020, 05:34:15 AM
As I have not tried an S2, I was going by the previous post

Quote"Coil bracket #2 will fit the S2MS intake, but the corner is against the runner."
Yes, they are identical in that both coil brackets fit the same on ether manifold. FYI the S2 large letter emissions friendly intake was Ford Cleveland engine plant installed on later 67 GT350's. I don't know why Ford transitioned from the S7 marked emissions friendly intake to the S2 large letter emissions friendly intake in later 67 GT350 production or for that matter why Ford had two identical intakes marked differently. It may have been a supply issue and the S2 was the logical substitute. FYI Shelby was selling their own S7MS marked intake with Shelby instead of Cobra trademark during the same time period. There has to be more to the story. A point to think about is that a transition is documented (Dave Mathews) to have happened in later 67 production so a similar transition could have transpired in 68 production at some point and the S2 was substituted in the recall kits for the S7. If it happened once in 67 production it could have happened again in 68 production. Just something to think about. 

ramrace

Do you still use the 3 port distributor vacuum tree?  If so, does it install in the thermostat housing?

Coralsnake

Yes used with both transmissions and mounted on thermostat housing

ramrace

Who sells the correct thermostat housing and tree?

Corey Bowcutt

Quote from: ramrace on October 28, 2020, 12:55:05 PM
Who sells the correct thermostat housing and tree?
ramrace I can tell you I got both those parts from Special Ed for my car.  But if he does not have more I do see Dead Nuts On has the vacuum trees.  I would also check with West Coast Classic Cougars, they have a lot of great stuff.

Corey

TLea

Of all the recall cars I've seen that I consider original (not factory installed aluminum) the majority have been the S2. Can't explain it just is
Charles, yes coil on passenger cylinder head that I have seen were both automatics so no Thermactor. Point I was making was dealer installed them in a multitude of ways

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TLea on October 28, 2020, 03:56:46 PM
Of all the recall cars I've seen that I consider original (not factory installed aluminum) the majority have been the S2. Can't explain it just is
Charles, yes coil on passenger cylinder head that I have seen were both automatics so no Thermactor. Point I was making was dealer installed them in a multitude of ways
+1 same same.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: TLea on October 28, 2020, 03:56:46 PM

Only reason I mentioned is because the original post is specific to 350 4sp. 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake

Like the S2, A lot of cars also have 10 spokes.

😉