Author Topic: Rocker arm recommendation please  (Read 3476 times)

hurlbird

• View Profile
Rocker arm recommendation please
« on: October 28, 2020, 08:39:28 PM »
stock 302 heads. Went online and there is a confusing array of choices. Can someone recommend a quality OE replacement?

4bbl 4speed

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rocker arm recommendation please
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 07:51:09 AM »
My recommendation would be to update these heads to screw in studs. Then select from the variety of rocker arms available.

I'd suggest a CompCams roller tipped arm if you want a lower cost solution. I have used them and they work well and are easy to set up with the minimum of changes.

The reason that I say change the studs is that head has pressed in studs and they are only safe to use with the a lower pressure spring like the original J configuration. That is simply not in character with the driving spirit of the car.

Those are just not safe to use with even a stock 289hp valve spring.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 08:58:21 AM »
thanks. I assume the heads need to be machined to accept screw in studs?

68gtcoupe

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 09:21:47 AM »
Yes, the rocker pedestals will need to be milled and then tapped to accept the screw-in studs and you’ll need guide plates and hardened push rods. Easily accomplished by any competent machine shop.  I am using the Comp Cams roller tip steel rockers but thinking hard about upgrading to screw-in studs this winter for insurance as mentioned in a previous post.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 12:16:56 PM »
What are you planning on doing with the engine? You don't need all that expense if you are building a stock motor. An old school cheap way around the expense of milling and threading the rocker stud bosses is to drill the head and rocker stud and install a roll pin in each one. Stay away from cheap chinese roller rockers.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 12:18:48 PM »
68GT
i dont want to invest in these heads i have others so staying OE is my goal. Will the Comp Cams roller tip steel rockers work in my OE situation as is? Are they better for performance in your opinion? thanks

68gtcoupe

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 12:55:24 PM »
68GT
i dont want to invest in these heads i have others so staying OE is my goal. Will the Comp Cams roller tip steel rockers work in my OE situation as is? Are they better for performance in your opinion? thanks

I've had these on my engine since 2010 when the engine was rebuilt.  I don't know that I really am able to compare them to the stock rockers, performance wise.  Just seemed like a reasonable upgrade at the time and relatively inexpensive.  I'm running a Comp Cams N+271H cam ("modern" hydraulic version of the Hi-Po cam), along with the suggested Comp Cams valve springs and retainers.  Otherwise just bolt-on performance mods (Doug's Tri-Y headers, Demon carb, ignition upgrade).  I retained the stock J-code cast iron intake and I've contemplated upgrading that for years, just never felt like messing with it.  I don't twist the engine past 5,500 rpm.  One thing you'll find (if you Google it) is that some folks feel that the rockers are a bit noisy as compared to stock.  I have no real reason not to recommend them, as I think there is likely some gain in performance, but again I never had stock rockers on this engine to allow me to compare them.  They seem to be well constructed and I've had no issue with them in 10 years.

I believe the Comp Cams part # is 1431-16 for the 1.6 ratio rockers.

Terry     
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 01:01:55 PM by 68gtcoupe »

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 01:27:00 PM »
thanks. I don't know the history of these heads nor the cam etc. other than they are all new. Original owner car but no documentation on these motor improvements, just that the current rockers look to be off a 351 or Boss 302 and are tapping the value cover baffles and so the cover gaskets were doubled to avoid that!. Anyway just want to replace what is there. sounds like you did more than just the rockers.

68gtcoupe

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 01:50:31 PM »
"sounds like you did more than just the rockers"

So when I got the car in 2006, it had a tired mid '70s 302 in it.  I was able to locate a complete '68 J-code 302 to install.  The date code is even pretty close.  To begin with, my goal was to return the car to stock as much as possible and then show it in MCA Occasional Driven Class.  When the engine went in the car, it was concours assembled and detailed.  As time went on and I found that I longed for additional performance, I elected to use some simple bolt-on mods to make the car more enjoyable and reliable, as it gets a lot of use during the late spring, summer and early fall here in NH.  However the decision to upgrade the cam/lifters/valve springs/rockers was made early on, and those parts have been in the engine since the rebuild.  As for the rest, nothing ridiculous though, just small upgrades that would be easily undone if I ever change my mind again.  I retained all the stock pieces (carb, fuel pump, valve covers, air cleaner, exhaust manifolds, etc) and they are boxed up and put away for safe keeping.  I'd estimate the engine is making a reliable 275 horsepower and that's all I need.  It's been all over the Northeast and I find it very reliable and a blast to drive.  As stated in a previous post by another, don't skimp on the quality of parts.   

Terry   

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 02:00:55 PM »
sounds good! im in MA and appreciate the short season to drive and the desire to get the most of it.

68gtcoupe

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 02:24:22 PM »
Glad to be of help.  Good luck with it.

Terry

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 02:34:34 PM »
sounds good! im in MA and appreciate the short season to drive and the desire to get the most of it.

Talk to Phil @ PMR in Kensington CT. He can sort it all out for you. Form carb to pan he is the man.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 06:37:12 PM »
I recently purchased these Speedmaster stainless steel rocker arms from Jegs a couple of months ago for $131 plus tax and shipping. They look to be very well made and they are only going on a fairly mild 302 motor so we will see if they hold up to that which they should. Website says they can handle 850 pounds of spring pressure so I should have zero problems.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/746/PCE261.1135/10002/-1

Current price on them through Jegs is $158.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

vtgt500

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2020, 02:45:52 PM »
In a different lifetime I enjoyed running a 302 built using published Muscle Parts guide.  Was the Stage 5 Dominator kit.  Advertised as around 350 HP.  351W heads cut for GT40 valves was as good as it got.  Thought I was the cat's ass with Crane roller rockers, screw in studs and guide plates.  Fast forward.  Today is a different world with 350 HP not raising an eyebrow.  My only contribution would be to scrutinize private label, Chinese rocker arms.  At the other extreme is Jessel's offering.  Hope to see your if in the neighborhood.

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2020, 08:38:06 AM »
in the end I ordered the thick gaskets 5/16 and that did the trick! no tapping