News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

6S745 - On Bring A Trailer

Started by silverton_ford, October 28, 2020, 11:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-shelby-gt350-9/

This 1966 Shelby Mustang GT350 was delivered new to Hi-Performance Motors of El Segundo, California on January 12, 1966. The car was refurbished circa 1994 by Carrera Motors of Bend, Oregon, and later spent time in Utah, Michigan, Texas, Iowa, and California. A repaint in red with white stripes was performed in 2006, and the car was acquired by the selling dealer earlier this year. Power is provided by a 289ci HiPo V8 that has been fitted with a Paxton supercharger and is backed by a four-speed manual transmission. Additional features include a tachometer, wood-rimmed steering wheel, folding rear seat, black vinyl upholstery, override traction bars, and Shelby-style alloy wheels. This GT350 has been documented in the SAAC registry and was reportedly driven by Carroll Shelby during a Texas Cobra club parade in 2002. It is now offered with a binder of records and a Texas title.

During 1966, GT350 production was carried out at Shelby American's facility near Los Angeles International Airport. New for the model year were fixed rear quarter windows, functional rear brake ducts, and an optional Paxton supercharger. Available exterior colors were expanded to include red, blue, green, and black, and unlike the previous model year, the car could be ordered with an automatic transmission.

This example left the factory in red and reportedly underwent a bare-metal repaint in 2006. Shelby-specific details include white Le Mans stripes, a steel-framed hood with a scoop, a Le Mans-style side mirror, and GT350 badging. The finish and trim are pictured up close in the gallery below.

Repoduction Shelby/Cragar-style 15″ alloy wheels wear Goodyear Power Cushion "Blue Dot" tires all around. Shelby chassis modifications include revised front suspension geometry, Koni shocks, Kelsey-Hayes front disc brakes, and larger rear brake drums. The rear suspension is equipped with override traction bars in order to limit side-to-side movement of the solid axle.

The cabin is upholstered in black vinyl with matching-color carpets and door panels. Additional features include a black dash pad, optional fold-down rear seat, radio blanking plate, lap belts, and a glovebox door signed by Carroll Shelby.

The wood-rimmed steering wheel wears a Shelby horn button and frames a 140-mph speedometer positioned between gauges for fuel level, oil pressure, alternator charge, and coolant temperature. A 9k-rpm tachometer is mounted to the top of the dashboard, while Paxton boost and fuel pressure gauges are mounted below. The five-digit odometer shows under 38k miles.

The Windsor K-code 289ci HiPo V8 is equipped with a period Paxton supercharger system that forces air through a Cobra-branded intake plenum and an Autolite four-barrel carburetor. Finned aluminum valve covers are fitted, as are tubular steel headers and a high-capacity aluminum oil pan.

Power is sent to the rear wheels through a cast-aluminum Borge Warner T10 four-speed manual transmission. Additional underbody photos are included in the gallery below.

An excerpt from the SAAC registry is pictured above and outlines history for chassis 6S745 from 1966 through 2008. A binder of records and refurbishment photos is included in the sale.

98SVT - was 06GT

Who signed the glove box? Doesn't have the correct trademark slash and crossbars under the signature.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Coralsnake

Many older signatures do not have the underlne

Don Johnston

CS signature with middle initial "H" line started around the time that CS was selling signatures to raise funds for the CS Children Heart Fund/Foundation (organization name changed over the years). 8)

gt350hr

MANY incorrect statements in the narrative. I'll leave it at that.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

CharlesTurner

Blue dots look a little out of place on this car.  The painted Magnum's would be cool.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Shelby4Life

The comment section is getting very "interesting." Ends tomorrow.
1967 Sprint 289 Auto, Deluxe, AC.
1967 S Code GTA Deluxe, AC.
2004 Gated 6-speed Ferrari 360.

427hunter

BAT is a nightmare, I have no idea why anyone would sell a car there.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Harris Speedster

If I am not mistaken, I think I owned this car at one time.
Sold it to a good friend in Michigan.
Do not have a new world registry, but sure seems familiar.
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

67 GT350

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on October 29, 2020, 02:01:30 PM
Who signed the glove box? Doesn't have the correct trademark slash and crossbars under the signature.

Maybe its not "His" signature, but many years ago before the money end of him doing that, my car was signed on the hood stripe, there was nothing like that, just his signature, I had pictures to back it, and witnesses. 1986 NC I believe.
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Harris Speedster on November 16, 2020, 07:35:00 AM
If I am not mistaken, I think I owned this car at one time.
Sold it to a good friend in Michigan.
Do not have a new world registry, but sure seems familiar.
John
John, you are listed in a registry pic in the auction ad. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

While not even close to being knowledgeable  on 66s is "Elipper" wrong on his critique of this car? I'd like to know more about the "cutting" to install an export brace on the SJ line. Is this into available in a registry? Any prior owners have anything to say about the MN block?  Thanks. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Greg

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on November 16, 2020, 08:55:18 AM
While not even close to being knowledgeable  on 66s is "Elipper" wrong on his critique of this car? I'd like to know more about the "cutting" to install an export brace on the SJ line. Is this into available in a registry? Any prior owners have anything to say about the MN block?  Thanks. Gary

I think he is a little aggressive in his critique by throwing out a comment regarding the "fake" possible nature of the car.  I saw the welded in brace on the firewall so I'm not sure what he was referring to there.  It does need some more seam sealer around it to look correct.  If the car wasn't real it would have been indicated in the registry because this car has been through a number of owners.  There were also some sheet metal pictures in bare form and by all appearances it looked great.

Does it need some things to be 100%, yes but it isn't being presented as a concours gold winning 66.  I think it is a nice car to get started with, just my opinion. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

sfm5

Quote from: 427hunter on November 16, 2020, 12:36:08 AM
BAT is a nightmare, I have no idea why anyone would sell a car there.

Probably the $5K max seller's fee plus avoiding the cost of bringing a car to an in-person auction?
65 GT350