Author Topic: 6S745 - On Bring A Trailer  (Read 11920 times)

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
Re: 6S745 - On Bring A Trailer
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2020, 02:22:11 PM »
   I fully agree Greg. Malicious comments are as bad if not worse that HYPE. We shouldn't act as bullies but must remain factual.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2020, 02:31:03 PM »
It is interesting the guy making the most noise and slinging the most mud at the Shelby on BAT owns a car with not the best history according to the registry and there is zero mention of his car having an original engine.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2020, 02:54:41 PM »
The comments were very nasty and the car was not that bad - anyone know if there some personal thing behind this?

Most likely another hater playing the leveling game.  Comments just turned into "I know more than you know" and "I've owned more Shelby's so I'm the expert"  And the...."I am an attorney".     

Comments sections should not exist on that site and questions should be sent to seller for them to post responses.  Other than all of the funky crap at the rear suspension looks like a real nice car.  If it was mine I'd take the rear back to factory and put the correct wheels on it than back up for sale. 

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2020, 07:36:50 PM »
The comments were very nasty and the car was not that bad - anyone know if there some personal thing behind this?

Most likely another hater playing the leveling game.  Comments just turned into "I know more than you know" and "I've owned more Shelby's so I'm the expert"  And the...."I am an attorney".     

Comments sections should not exist on that site and questions should be sent to seller for them to post responses.  Other than all of the funky crap at the rear suspension looks like a real nice car.  If it was mine I'd take the rear back to factory and put the correct wheels on it than back up for sale.

100% ! whenever I hear "I am attorney" I know the following statement will be a lie....

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

eric lipper

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2020, 08:52:13 PM »
Guys, I learned a couple of lessons from my comments on BAT and some of that is reinforced by what I am reading here. 

First, I have always posted in my real name which is because I don't hide behind a thing -- in the future I guess I should change my handle so I can do it in secret but that is not my nature.  Second, if you read the posts in Order you will see that I was clear that I am no expert but just a guy that has owned several of these cars.  Third, my 66 GT350 may not be the best in the world as someone in this post pointed out but I have a lot of confidence that Tony Conover did the best that he could with it.  Tony is a great guy and pointed out all the issues before he sold it to me, and I think it is still a decent canvas to use as a comparison. 

Fourth, and I was clear about this in the posts, I personally judged that car at Keels & Wheels and the issues that I raised were pointed out to me by another judge because I was enamored by the red paint and wanted to give it first place in the Shelby class -- remember I bought the same damn car -- I was just reading the news as I heard it.  Fifth, and this really pisses me off, if you read the posts in context, and in order, I started by just making the basic observations that it had the wrong steering wheel, paxton, exhaust, wheels, and to me at least the Panhard bar looked wrong.  None of that is wrong as far as I know.

Sixth, and this is where it went off the rails.  Rather than say thank you for the info in my first post the Seller hit Google and called my office to tell me to stop posting uniess I was buying the car -- that was no bueno to me which did encourage me to keep on posting.  I thought it was funny that the guy was calling me from a Hyundai Dealership which is where I started stepping on his neck about being a Hyundai Dealer. If he hadn't beat on the lawyers I would have left the Hyundai out but I needed a little response.  Seventh, and if you read the posts in order I pointed out, in many of the posts, that it was a nice car and good for Cars & Coffee but that it has a lot of non-authentic stuff.  I know where my car stands in that hierarchy and it has a lot less problems than that one.

I am probably wrong on some of the issues that looked wrong to me but I will say, that except for the beat on the lawyers refrain which is a common mantra these days, the Seller never responded with a fact.  There was a good side effect of using my real name, the number of people that reached out to me because they wanted to get my observations about the car having seen it in person was extraordinary.  There were eighteen bids and I spoke with three of the bidders who ended up bidding.  One of the bidders even flew into Houston and I had him over to my house to compare that car to mine.  Lastly, and this is pretty typical of the public web mob mentality, not one of the guys that commented on the self-imposed drama was a bidder.

Do I wish I had not gotten involved in restrospect?  In a word, yes.  What did I get out of it?  I met some guys on the phone to talk about Shelbys who clearly knew less about the cars than me.  Most likely one of them will be a SAAC member one day.
1947 Beech Staggerwing
1955 Beech Bonanza
1963 Vette Split Window
1965 Jag Conv
1966 GT350
1967 GT500
1968 GT500KR Conv
1969 Boss 429
1969 GT500 Conv
1978 King Cobra
1984 Aerostar 700P
2001 King Air F90GT
2002 Enzo
2005 Ford GT
2005 NSX

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2020, 09:21:08 PM »
Probably better to stay out of that whole morass - I think you may have become a victim of BAT syndrome..

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

eric lipper

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2020, 10:03:45 PM »
Agreed.
1947 Beech Staggerwing
1955 Beech Bonanza
1963 Vette Split Window
1965 Jag Conv
1966 GT350
1967 GT500
1968 GT500KR Conv
1969 Boss 429
1969 GT500 Conv
1978 King Cobra
1984 Aerostar 700P
2001 King Air F90GT
2002 Enzo
2005 Ford GT
2005 NSX

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2020, 02:57:18 AM »

100% ! whenever I hear "I am attorney" I know the following statement will be a lie....
I actually am an attorney. Lol! I don't get why an attorney would think that being one somehow makes him (or her) have superior knowledge on any subject (even the law). We typically do not hold such beliefs.  My personal philosophy aligns with the great Jordan Peterson: Assume that someone else knows something you don't.  Following those words has made me learn so much more in life on every subject. And to quote Sir Isaac Newton:
“All knowledge and understanding of the Universe was no more than playing with stones and shells on the seashore of the vast imponderable ocean of truth.”
I will add that the legal profession is the most highly regulated professions in the world and that is not because every other profession and career has nothing but ethical people who don't need regulation. And second, everyone hates lawyers until they need one.

Well off to play some Beethoven on my son's keyboard in the land of Beethoven's birth. The weather on the North Sea is calm and a good 10 Grad today.

Best,
Richard E.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 04:07:33 AM by deathsled »
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

JohnHouston

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2020, 11:12:16 AM »
I, thankfully, arrived at this party late.  That said, it was hard to know what to make of the comments, since many had been removed.  Interestingly, I was thinking this on a day that the social media geniuses were testifying about removing and censoring posts on their platforms. 

There are some who have malicious purposes, but I have to assume that Mr. Lipper was just trying to help a potential buyer, and the dealer, as nice as the comments on BAT say he is, is just trying to sell a car.  Those motives might have collided somewhat.  And contacting Mr. Lipper out of the BAT forum is, to me, way out of line.  But we all make mistakes.  I hear.  Except the lawyers.  Like me.

John Dillman, esq

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2020, 11:40:48 AM »
 Lawyers, doctors, pilots, etc were all "regular people" before they became accredited.

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2020, 12:26:01 PM »
Lawyers, doctors, pilots, etc were all "regular people" before they became accredited.

I hear they are getting their own "VVVIP Lounge" in the Off Topic Area.   ;D

eric lipper

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2020, 01:16:58 PM »
It was a pretty short drive to Crazytown on that one but once the guy started getting personal the die was cast.  I have no idea what remains of the discussion -- nor do I care at this point -- because it was all factual.  Although my interest in commenting was just to point out what was wrong in my eyes it is undoubtedly subjective.  Things like the paint on the front frame rails being black instead of red oxide, or the lack of body caulk under the front fenders, were my observations.  I don't think the cars ever had a wood wheel, a Panhard bar, Cragars, Blue Dots ....  I made it clear that I am just a guy that has owned these cars.

Also, I may be a lawyer but my experience is unusual.  I spent 18 months after high school as a line mechanic at Russell Smith Ford here in Houston.  I cutoff the end of a finger in the fan blade of a 1976 Granada and knew it was time to go to college.  I put myself through the University of Texas by restoring 64 - 66 Mustangs all with junk yard parts because, other than Ford service parts, that is all you had back then.  Law school became the end goal because both my grandfathers, my dad, myself and my son are all lawyers.  With that much history in my family it may offer some color why "the lawyers are all bad people" irritates me just like any other discriminatory comment would.

1947 Beech Staggerwing
1955 Beech Bonanza
1963 Vette Split Window
1965 Jag Conv
1966 GT350
1967 GT500
1968 GT500KR Conv
1969 Boss 429
1969 GT500 Conv
1978 King Cobra
1984 Aerostar 700P
2001 King Air F90GT
2002 Enzo
2005 Ford GT
2005 NSX

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2020, 01:46:34 PM »
   Has something changed? I thought lawyers interpreted laws for money. Is the glass half full or half empty? A legal decision could be expensive.
     Eric , you chose the profession and unfortunately , like 6S745 , criticism comes with the job. You may be THE world's most honest lawyer ( and I hope you ARE), but the other lawyers are only after the $$$$s , regardless of guilt or innocence. The title lumps you in with them. Sorry , just being truthful.
   Back to topic.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 01:49:08 PM by gt350hr »

shelbyluva

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2020, 01:55:03 PM »
I'm impressed with the number of attorneys on the forum.  Cheers!

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2020, 01:56:02 PM »
   Has something changed? I thought lawyers interpreted laws for money. Is the glass half full or half empty? A legal decision could be expensive.
     Eric , you chose the profession and unfortunately , like 6S745 , criticism comes with the job. You may be THE world's most honest lawyer ( and I hope you ARE), but the other lawyers are only after the $$$$s , regardless of guilt or innocence. The title lumps you in with them. Sorry , just being truthful.
   Back to topic.

+1,
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1