Author Topic: Advice wanted from a '66 GT350H expert  (Read 2567 times)

Hilljack

• SAAC Member
  • '65 Fastback, '74 F-100, '81 Bronco, '88 F-250
    • View Profile
Advice wanted from a '66 GT350H expert
« on: October 29, 2020, 05:44:31 PM »
I am considering purchasing a 66 GT350H and would like advice from a GT350H expert in the context of the car's authenticity. I will inspect the car for mechanical condition, but just want to be sure this car is not a cloner. The car's engine has been replaced with a 302 and has a period correct 3 speed auto and 9" rear. It can be viewed here: https://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/ORD/1652/1966-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT350H.

Understanding the challenges with determining a vehicle's authenticity on a computer screen, I am not looking for guarantees - just looking for a reasonable assumption that it's not a clone. Hopefully one of you is familiar with this car. Seller states that it is car SFM6S1208.

Thanks,

John

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Advice wanted from a '66 GT350H expert
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 06:35:39 PM »
I am considering purchasing a 66 GT350H and would like advice from a GT350H expert in the context of the car's authenticity. I will inspect the car for mechanical condition, but just want to be sure this car is not a cloner. The car's engine has been replaced with a 302 and has a period correct 3 speed auto and 9" rear. It can be viewed here: https://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/ORD/1652/1966-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT350H.

Understanding the challenges with determining a vehicle's authenticity on a computer screen, I am not looking for guarantees - just looking for a reasonable assumption that it's not a clone. Hopefully one of you is familiar with this car. Seller states that it is car SFM6S1208.

Thanks,

John
John,although nice looking from 10 feet away when you examine the bones it looks like there are a lot of issues seen in the pictures. Unfortunately from the pictures I can not conclusively determine if it is a rebody/clone . The tag is genuine. From the pictures it looks like a car that has had extensive metal repair, frame rails floor work and who knows what else  . If you were looking for historical accuracy then I would suggest try again . It has many incorrect parts,many missing original parts .The restorer for example didn't even know enough to get the correct reproduction Hertz chrome wheels.  It has many wrong assembly details when put together , so much so that I can tell you with my judges hat on this car would be far from placing in a SAAC or MCA concours venue. Red flags all over . I would confirm if even the engine is a genuine Hipo engine vs a regular 289 with performance mods bolted on let alone original vin stamped to the car. The same goes for the very rare and different hipo automatic transmission. Some of these things may not be a concern to you . You do need to be informed so that the you know what you are getting.  It may be a genuine Shelby body but what with all that is wrong with the car that I can see from the pictures you need confirmation from a knowledgeable person. I unfortunately am unavailable to inspect cars during the covid crisis . Pete Giesler at Orlando Mustang is close and may already know the car. I don't know what he charges for inspections. Best of luck with getting what you want.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Hilljack

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 06:43:38 PM »
Bob, thank you for the detailed opinion. This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. Although I am capable of mechanical/functional inspections I am a bit lacking in the ability of confirming authenticity of a car such as this. I am looking for something that has as much historical accuracy as possible, especially for a car north of 100K. Thanks again, I will likely move on to find a different one.

John

Shelbyneeds

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 09:03:13 PM »
John,

First of all, be extremely patient when looking for the right car. It took me years to finally find a 1966 GT350 that I liked. It was set up as a race car but retained all of it's original metal and parts. I can easily put it back to a street car if I want to. Even came with the original motor crated, steering wheel, and everything put the drivers seat. No rust or damage ever.

I found that I wanted a numbers matching car with an original motor. That's just me, but I thought that combination would hold it's value verses an engine swap or wrecked car.

I question this car because of the 302 engine. That's probably why the price is so low compared to other 1966 GT350's out there for sale. My car was quite a bit less than this one. They are out there!

Take your time and buy the right one for you. Good luck!

Gerhard in WI.

1964 FIA Cobra (Unique)
1966 GT350 race car
1970 GT350
2-2013 BOSS 302 LS both SBY
2021 GT500 CFTP

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 09:26:36 PM »
At least they posted many more and better (for your purposes) pictures in this ad then in ads for it earlier this year. Easier to identify some of the issues but certainly not all of the possible ones

Assume that you have already evaluated what is important to you in owning such a car. The replaced engine and the amount of possible uni-body structural work would put off some buyers. But each has to make those decisions on their own but get some experienced/educated eye on the car before you trade your hard earned cash for it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 11:12:07 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 11:04:50 PM »
As stated above - It's got to be what you want!  For me it was most important that the unibody and corresponding sheet metal be all original, and I wanted an override car.  You will be shocked how few cars retain original sheet metal let alone original engines or transmissions. The sheet metal date ranges are known , how SJ cars were assembled is known, the block casting dates are known, and you can find images of the correct stamp font used so you can see if that "original numbers matching" engine is legit or just another re stamp.  Once you determine what you want, if it comes up (call Howard! get the okay on the car first!) then buy it, good cars are few and far between.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 01:51:47 AM by 427hunter »
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Hilljack

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 09:29:28 AM »
Thanks to all of you for your input. Although the price on this car is what caught my attention and it is a beautiful car, not having the original drive train is not very appealing to me. Think I'll keep on looking...

Thanks again,

John
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 09:35:54 AM by Hillbilly »

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 12:00:52 PM »
   The block is a Mexican 302 . the dampner is a C8ZE version , Edelbrock intake , incorrect carburetor , fan shroud , Gabriel shock car , replacement tach ( later version pointer) paint behind the side scoops and on. The vin tag does look like an original. "I" would start by looking at the latest registry book as the ad says same owner for 28 years , so there should be some details in the book. This one could "possibly" see another $50K spent getting it more correct.
   RG
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 01:00:23 PM »
Is it an original White Hertz?  If so, that does make it rare.  The price might seem good, but when you consider what would need to be done to the car, it probably isn't.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 01:09:44 PM »
   White and blue is more rare than even an R model! ( 18)

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 06:24:00 PM »
I have never seen one , yet
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 10:31:30 AM »
  The serial numbers are well documented. They went to San Francisco and LAX only. I bought mine in '74 because "at the time"  the general consensus was ALL  Hertz cars had gold stripes. While changing out the trunk mat  , I found the Hertz Vehicle Service Record form. WHAT??? Yes years later When SAAC got the invoices from CS mine was sold to The Hertz Corp.

eric lipper

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 02:01:34 PM »
I don't know if a regular GT350 fits the bill but there is a pretty nice Candy Apple Red one on Bring a Trailer right now.  The car is at a dealership here in Houston.  The car is not concours correct because it has a Paxton, a Panhard bar, a wood wheel, Cragars, and the wrong exhaust but I think it has pretty good bones and someone that wanted to get it in Concours shape could probably do so without having to "rerestore" the car.  The car used to be owned by Steve Forestall and he was pretty good at picking good Shelby cars.  I saw it last around five years ago at Keels & Wheels and it was a pretty good example.  No idea what it sells for because Bring A Trailer is usually on the crazy high side but you might want to check that one out.
1947 Beech Staggerwing
1955 Beech Bonanza
1963 Vette Split Window
1965 Jag Conv
1966 GT350
1967 GT500
1968 GT500KR Conv
1969 Boss 429
1969 GT500 Conv
1978 King Cobra
1984 Aerostar 700P
2001 King Air F90GT