Author Topic: 67 GT500 pilot bushing part number  (Read 1369 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
67 GT500 pilot bushing part number
« on: October 30, 2020, 10:21:30 AM »
I can't find the part number for the pilot bushing for the 67 GT500. People keep giving me the small block bushing.

Anyone have a part number for this? It doesn't need to be a Ford service part.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 67 GT500 pilot bushing part number
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 11:02:47 AM »
I can't find the part number for the pilot bushing for the 67 GT500. People keep giving me the small block bushing.

It doesn't show up in bools because there were so few big input GT500. only 390 shows up. Try 69 428 Cobra jet . It is the same bushing.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 11:14:18 AM »

It doesn't show up in bools because there were so few big input GT500. only 390 shows up. Try 69 428 Cobra jet . It is the same bushing.

All 428's are being shown as the same as 390's. That's what has me confused? I presume the 390 is not the same because of the differences in the input shaft on the transmissions?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 11:34:54 AM »
     The "Oilite" bronze bushing listing for the 390 is the same 1.850" O.D. for the crankshaft fitment as are all of the light automotive intention FE's and the earlier (pre '72) 385 series engines, this being the difference to the S.B.F. dimension of 1.375" O.D., and the I.D. of .670" +/- is shared with all Ford "Top-Loader" 4spd. applications.        ;)

Scott.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 03:02:09 PM »
     The "Oilite" bronze bushing listing for the 390 is the same 1.850" O.D. for the crankshaft fitment as are all of the light automotive intention FE's and the earlier (pre '72) 385 series engines, this being the difference to the S.B.F. dimension of 1.375" O.D., and the I.D. of .670" +/- is shared with all Ford "Top-Loader" 4spd. applications.        ;)

Scott.

It isn't the diameters I am concerned about, it is the thickness. I came across an adapter bushing I had in my box that adapted the big input transmission to a small block. It's extended about an inch.

Now I have an FE bellhouse off the car to measure the flange to flange but the small block bell is on the small block car so kind of hard to do lying on the floor to get the flange to flange dimension fairly accurately?

Now here's the thing, the input shaft is shorter on the 1-3/8" version v the 1-1/16.
The 390 takes the longer 1-1/16 input but the bell flange to flange it uses is the same flange to flange as the C60A bell isn't it?

Most likely the difference in the input shafts is compensated for in the bell house flange to flange dimension.

See my caution yet? I need the various bell houses here in front of me to verify so it's easier to question the pilot bushing application. ;)

For a $10 item I'll go with the listings and verify as I'm assembling but I like to be prepared as possible. Not having the right part during assembly irks me something bad.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 04:25:27 PM »
     I think your over-complicating this somewhat, as really it's simple:  You apparently need a standard, not some "conversion" something a rather, for something your not working on, but rather a standard "Oilite" sintered bronze FE Ford application bushing, original part number I believe was B8A-7600-A or Pioneer #PB-50-B, and there are others, which should generally be found to be approximately .500" +/- in length.         

Other processes involving measurements are excessive efforts if dealing with O.E.M. components otherwise, but if determined, an overall bellhousing depth, flange face to flange face, minus the overall input shaft length measured from transmission case face, and minus the crankshafts', with bushing installed length of intrusion into the bellhousing area measured from the back of the block, should provide the overlapping distance which would prove to be distance that the transmission pilot intrudes into the said bushing.          :P

Scott.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 05:22:32 PM »
     I think your over-complicating this somewhat, as really it's simple:  You apparently need a standard, not some "conversion" something a rather, for something your not working on, but rather a standard "Oilite" sintered bronze FE Ford application bushing, original part number I believe was B8A-7600-A or Pioneer #PB-50-B, and there are others, which should generally be found to be approximately .500" +/- in length.         

Other processes involving measurements are excessive efforts if dealing with O.E.M. components otherwise, but if determined, an overall bellhousing depth, flange face to flange face, minus the overall input shaft length measured from transmission case face, and minus the crankshafts', with bushing installed length of intrusion into the bellhousing area measured from the back of the block, should provide the overlapping distance which would prove to be distance that the transmission pilot intrudes into the said bushing.          :P

Scott.

Apparently.

As it turns out, I have a Ford service part here but it is marked D1TZ-7600-A.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 05:57:54 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!