News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Music from Vietnam era.

Started by deathsled, October 30, 2020, 04:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

I happened upon this soundtrack while looking for 60s tunes. I was 6 years old in 1969 but I have strong memories of this music on the radio. Good tunes to drive with in your Shelby.
https://youtu.be/2LBThuN9nP8
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

69mach351w

Yea, I was 8 in 1969 and artists the likes of  The Guess Who, Rolling Stones, CCR, War, Grand Funk, Doors etc., make you feel like your in the Hearts and Souls of the Soldiers that fault in the Vietnam War.

One of the songs that reminds me of that time when we'd be sitting in front of the TV with my step Dad watching the war unfold, my older step sister(5 yrs older than me) was always playing the song "White Room" By Cream.

Even till this day, when I hear that song I think of the Vietnam War Soldiers.

I was too young for the war, but I did have few cousins that were there. They were fortunate enough to come home.

deathsled

Living in Toronto, I don't have an independent recollection of seeing any of the war on television.  Either my grandmother censored it or the Canadian government.  I am leaning more toward the Canadian government.  Music was great regardless.  It is a memory cue.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Just graduated high school, living nearDC saw a lot of protests up close and personal. I remember lots of that music, hard to believe it's been over 50 years ago geeezzzz I'm a true gezzer
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Cobra Ned

I was in college in this time period. Was one of the unwitting participants in the first draft lottery. Pulling #366 took that monkey off my back, and the music here is essentially the soundtrack of most of my life. Love it.

mark p

Good stuff  8)
Grand Funk Railroad was the first "major" rock concert that I attended... sometime about 1972. The old Spectrum in south Philly.
Thanks for posting.

I may still have my "selective service" card somewhere, but fortunately the lottery was done by the time I turned 18.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

corbins

Quote from: Cobra Ned on October 31, 2020, 11:05:24 AM
I was in college in this time period. Was one of the unwitting participants in the first draft lottery. Pulling #366 took that monkey off my back, and the music here is essentially the soundtrack of most of my life. Love it.
+1 359 out of possible 366. As I remember , if you had 1-126 you might as well go sign up, you were gone. 127-225  high probability, anything over no way unless war was declared.

98SVT - was 06GT

Whenever one of our group got their draft physical notice we'd play Alice's Restaurant so we knew how to look and act our best. I was worried at being 1A and having my student deferment run out. They pulled 153 for my birthday. A friend was in the 130s and he got called up. Around 1972 I got a notice that my status had changed to 1H - age and marital status were such I would probably not be called. I'm still stuck in the 60s.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

texas swede

I was 21 in 1969 and just got out of the Swedish Airforce and went up to the US Embassy in Stockholm, Sweden
and volunteered to the USAF in Vietnam. However, they had stopped taking in foreigners.
Recognize all the songs on this track.
Texas Swede

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

roddster

1969:  I was in high school, senior year, and still sneaking car magazines into study hall.  On the car  radio was WLS or WCFL.  If you didn't like what song was on "LS" you hit the button to hear what "CFL" was playing.
  My brother was just home from 'nam, the other just about to get out of the Air Force.  My dad (bronze star in WWII) was just yelling at the TV news (Kronkite).  He looks at me and said - they're telling you who to shoot at and when.  You don't need to go......
   Well, my draft number turned out to be in the low 300's.
   Still, great music from that time.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

My lottery number was 344. Still have all of my draft cards. Last one is from 1972  classified 1H?
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

69mach351w

Good stuff you guys are sharing with all.
Thank You  8)

6s855

Lost half my hearing at an Iron Butterfly concert at the Filmore East in 68 (I think).  In a gadda da vida for 45 mins straight will do that.  Lost most of the rest at a Mountain concert, same place.  Place was dark when we first went in, but you could see all the pilot lights from the giant Marshall amps piled on top of each other on stage.  But we stayed anyway.  You could actually feel the sound waves crashing into your chest from the guitar blast of those amps.  I can hear the tinnitus results of this right now as I'm writing.