News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Where are people getting these Goodyear tires from?

Started by cboss70, November 02, 2020, 08:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlplunkett

Given the comments about the high price and short life of the Avon, are they really that much better than the radial T/As? It's kind of funny to think about turning a BF Goodrich tire into a fake Goodyear but it seems like that would produce a good looking and performing tire.
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

CSX2259

We did 5hese tires, just an example...on shaved AVONS.

shelbydoug

To those who know Avons, how well do they age? Do they need to be replaced a few years because they are cracking?

For me, mileage isn't the issue. Dry rotting in front of my eyes is. At their price, they have to give me years.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

chris NOS

i have some 7 years now not cracking at all , they are quality tires .

Bob Gaines

Quote from: CSX2259 on November 11, 2020, 02:48:03 AM
We did 5hese tires, just an example...on shaved AVONS.
What size Avons did you use on the Cobra?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Speed Six

The Avons are really good.
In Europe in historic racing in most series you mandatory have to use Dunlop, but sometimes, especially if it´s wet, teams use Avons even if they would lose their result for that.
We over here also have a small tire company from England called Blockley, they also make very good streetable racing tires, unfortunately they don´t have size for Mustang or Cobra (yet).

shelbydoug

Quote from: chris NOS on November 11, 2020, 09:27:17 AM
i have some 7 years now not cracking at all , they are quality tires .

Good to know but 7 years is just a grasshopper for me.

The BFG's like to crack between the blocks on the treads. My t/a's don't throw out and chunks but the all terrains did.

My P7 Pirellis, that's another story. Not only did they start cracking about 15 minutes after I got them mounted but the treads also get very hard and loose elasticity. For a tire that expensive, I still target shoot so I don't loose an edge...just in case one of the exec's happens buy? ;)

I do remember guys racing on like 20 something year old retreads. Who says being called a retread is a negative thing?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!