News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Where are people getting these Goodyear tires from?

Started by cboss70, November 02, 2020, 08:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cboss70

Its time for new tires for my 67 and I have seen many people using these Goodyears versus modern looking Radial TA's or black walls. I haven't decided what to get because I wanted to see where these tires are available and the cost.  If there are current sources you know of let me know.  Thanks.

cboss70

Thanks. I see they say its a Speedway 350 and fits 67/68 Shelby's but only came on 68's.  These do look great - I'm now wondering what people are using for 67's so I can consider the right look for 67.

cboss70

I may have just found the answer to my own question on the Kelsey site- it looks like small letter speedways came on 67's and large letter ones on the 68"s.

Richstang

The 1967 Shelby's were first built with Large Letter Goodyear tires (first 230 base units built by Ford at their San Jose plant).
This was followed by the Small Letter Goodyear tires (remainder of production).

Keep in mind cars were not completed at SAI in sequential order, but the earlier in production, the more likely they would fall closer in the range.

An internal SAI letter was found noting the approximate 230 units, built from Ford, would change over to the smaller letter version once they were completed.
The 2011 Registry notes this number as 280 units, but that may very well be a typo. 
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

JD

For a number of years Kelsey only reproduced the large letter (shown in the photo in the opening post) but now they offer both the large letter and small letter versions.  Note Both are bias-ply tires not radials.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Richstang

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

propayne

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Bob Gaines

Quote from: cboss70 on November 02, 2020, 08:54:34 AM
Its time for new tires for my 67 and I have seen many people using these Goodyears versus modern looking Radial TA's or black walls. I haven't decided what to get because I wanted to see where these tires are available and the cost.  If there are current sources you know of let me know.  Thanks.
The speedway large letter (67 early production ) or Speedway small letter (67 later production) are bias ply and have different driving characteristics compared to radials. You don't know how many people have told me stories of buying the reissue Goodyears  because they are good looking but hated how they drove. If you pleasure drive your car I strongly suggest getting a radial tire . If staying with the BF Goodrich or Cooper Cobra tires I would ether mount with the blackwall out or black out the white letters.  Even the cheapest radial will drive better then the bias ply reissue tire . This is not to say they are worse then the original tires because they are in fact the same as the original tires. If a show car and very little pleasure driving maybe you should compromise. If a show car only definitely the Speedways. Some owners have a set of wheels and tires for show and another set for pleasure driving. I don't want you to have a unpleasant surprise like so many others.  I just want you to be informed so that you can make the best decision for your particular situation.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CSX 4133

+1 on Bob Gaines post regarding bias ply tires, I have the blue dots on a Carryover Shelby and they are incredibly bad. As was suggested I will save them for shows and buy some modern radials that mimic the same sizing but ride far better.

eric lipper

Two sets of wheels and tires for mine.  Coker has a Firestone Wide Oval Radial that is RWL and looks period correct on the car. 
1947 Beech Staggerwing
1955 Beech Bonanza
1963 Vette Split Window
1965 Jag Conv
1966 GT350
1967 GT500
1968 GT500KR Conv
1969 Boss 429
1969 GT500 Conv
1978 King Cobra
1984 Aerostar 700P
2001 King Air F90GT
2002 Enzo
2005 Ford GT
2005 NSX

67 GT350

Its darn too bad they do not make both E70-15 and F60-15 radial small letter Goodyear!!!! I just drove my BLAH tire GT350 and I thought, its just too bad!
RARE  Signature Delete

Problem with bias plies is they catch on seams in the road and pull you in that direction,which can be terrifying...trust me.

98SVT - was 06GT

Keep them armoralled I've heard of cracking problems with a lot of the repro tires.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

You can make radials to look any way you want.

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=9962.msg83416#msg83416