Author Topic: Another Thermactor question.  (Read 2118 times)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Another Thermactor question.
« on: November 03, 2020, 02:53:13 AM »
I hadn't been paying close attention, but when visiting another forum member, he pointed out that the support strut on the driver's side thermactor tube assembly was removed on GT500s.

Just wondering if anyone knows why this was done and has anyone observed their strut being present originally?

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Another Thermactor question.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 02:57:04 AM »
CMF pictures were copied from other threads on the forum for the sake of discussion.

Also, judging by the period pictures, it appears the check valve on the assembly should not be painted blue.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 02:58:36 AM by 2112 »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 06:56:01 AM »
Great observations

I would cation against using a very small sample size.

The lime green car appears to have the valve painted

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 12:06:51 PM »
CMF pictures were copied from other threads on the forum for the sake of discussion.

Also, judging by the period pictures, it appears the check valve on the assembly should not be painted blue.
The brace snipped off at the tube is the typical way it is found on a 67 GT500. I used to think that the check valve was not painted on purpose but have come to the conclusion it was added later after the engine was painted for other reasons . I have seen many other that were painted with the engine. To many other examples that were painted plus on other applications painted to ignore. The lime green example picture for instance is painted.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 12:10:37 PM »
Another thing to remember when looking at or trying to source a 67 GT500 smog parts is the the driver side long smog tube is 67 unique and the upper section is shaped different then later versions. I don't know when it transitioned but it was after 67 Shelby production ceased.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 01:42:37 PM »
Don't know why certain driver side check valves were not painted. Makes little sense since they were painted on all of the other engines Ford built. Given the cars with them unpainted in pictures and the ones that are pictures IMHO it was a running change once once someone figured out they didn't need to be removed /left off before the painting of the engine. Something I'm graphing with the limited original examples from the period, in my studies
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 01:40:02 AM »
Has anyone seen an original tube support strut not cut off on the GT500?

Does anyone know why the strut was cut off? Was it done at SAI or San Jose?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 05:06:07 AM »
Has anyone seen an original tube support strut not cut off on the GT500?

Yes on "restored" cars and one original at least but not on any from the period your car/engine was built

Does anyone know why the strut was cut off? Was it done at SAI or San Jose?

Neither IMHO - When they were cut it was likely done at the engine plant and if left they could not have mounted the coil where they did. .
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 09:40:01 AM »
Did the 428 Thunderbirds and Galaxies retain their strut?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 11:41:05 AM »
It apparently typical to be in place on those cars. It is easy to snip the brace off and have it look just as one would look if factory done.They were not made up special without the brace for Shelby production. 

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 05:38:25 PM »

Big cars I recall used the low profile (basically same design as used on the passenger side) on the drivers side rather than the up and over style we see on cars with smaller engine compartments. 

Arrow appears to be the manifold - check valve is at the rear

They also used different parts in some areas for some reason - one being the way the pumps were attached to the engine

Looks like even the 68-70 big cars didn't use the Mustang/Shelby style drivers side manifold either based on the pictures I found
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 05:41:02 PM by J_Speegle »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 07:19:08 PM »

Big cars I recall used the low profile (basically same design as used on the passenger side) on the drivers side rather than the up and over style we see on cars with smaller engine compartments. 

Arrow appears to be the manifold - check valve is at the rear

They also used different parts in some areas for some reason - one being the way the pumps were attached to the engine

Looks like even the 68-70 big cars didn't use the Mustang/Shelby style drivers side manifold either based on the pictures I found
What year car was the picture? It looks like a 66 style PS pump. The year may or may not be relevant to the discussion.The long tube had to come from another application besides Mustang based on where I and others have sourced the parts in the past.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2020, 03:55:51 PM »
What year car was the picture? It looks like a 66 style PS pump. The year may or may not be relevant to the discussion.The long tube had to come from another application besides Mustang based on where I and others have sourced the parts in the past.

Agree that the Mustang/Shelby style was used on other models and have seen them also but in our hunt for parts I think most of us in years gone by focused on part than the particular other details of the car I know I did. Time was limited, hot nasty days, more cars to sift through and so on 

These particular pictures were grabbed off the internet - simple Duck Duck Go image searches for 428 smog big body styles. These may be 66's or a mix. Found others but like most forums people don't always post the identification of each car as closely as we would like. Ignored pictures that were reported to be restored back to original. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Looking at an early 68 MPC and focusing just on 1967, I found the drivers side manifold listed as C7ZZ-9B445-A

This manifold was listed as used on:

Mustang/Fairlane (390) There is a revision manifold listed but the change is listed as 6 months after 67 production ended.

C7SZ-9B445-A manifold was listed as used on:

Passenger side - Mustang/Fairlane (390)

Drivers side - T-Birds (390/428) - big Ford from 9/1/66 (390/428 PI) - Mustang/Fairlane (390)

Seems to suggest/confirm Fairlanes were the other sources as well as Cougars/Cyclones and such of course

6s2055

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2020, 10:37:17 AM »
FYI, the two pictures of the engine compartment were taken around June of ‘67 shortly after I purchased the car new from S&C Ford. That vin # is #0962 to give an idea of build date.