Author Topic: Just the Details...1966 Shelby Mustang GT350 Resto 6S933- Update 5/2/2020  (Read 14368 times)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Just the Details...1966 Shelby Mustang GT350 Restoration 6S933
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »
Here is a question, on picture 24 of 55 in the Virginia Mustang blog.  Why does the core support have a dot of yellow paint in the middle of the top part?    Does that yellow paint tell someone on the assembly line something as it is being built?

Yes it does by yours may not have had the same mark. Seen allot without it.

The purpose of just about all markings is to get someones attention, let them know something quickly about the car coming to their station, indicate something has been completed, inspected, checked, paint color to use................ Shifts and workers assigned the task of marking the bodies would sometimes differ but each had their method. These may seem random until you see enough of them and patterns/habits often become apparent

And you will also notice the writing on the radiator support (again instructions or indicators to other workers on the line) they are covered by engine compartment black when the car is painted not over it as you see in some "restoration" ;)

Did the same (different writing and of course plant & year) on my Boss about three years back
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 01:28:06 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 02:15:16 PM »
Here is a question, on picture 24 of 55 in the Virginia Mustang blog.  Why does the core support have a dot of yellow paint in the middle of the top part?    Does that yellow paint tell someone on the assembly line something as it is being built?

Yes it does by yours may not have had the same mark. Seen allot without it.

The purpose of just about all markings is to get someones attention, let them know something quickly about the car coming to their station, indicate something has been completed, inspected, checked, paint color to use................ Shifts and workers assigned the task of marking the bodies would sometimes differ but each had their method. These may seem random until you see enough of them and patterns/habits often become apparent

And you will also notice the writing on the radiator support (again instructions or indicators to other workers on the line) they are covered by engine compartment black when the car is painted not over it as you see in some "restoration" ;)

Did the same (different writing and of course plant & year) on my Boss about three years back

Thank you, I appreciate the answer.

I didn't ask my question correctly, but what does that one particular paint mark on the core support mean?

I understand the markings in other places mean different things to workers on the line,  just curious what that one on upper core support meant.   I am probably sweating the details too much. Is it Shelby specific or did all Mustangs get that yellow mark (on the core upper support exactly)?

I love the level of detail this car has.  It is amazing!  I would love to do this to my car someday, but I have so much to learn first.

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 03:38:32 PM »
It's interesting to note that this yellow marking was also found under the dash/cowl area below where the export brace reinforcement piece was welded to the cowl on both 6S933 and 6S033.

...then after sealer

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 03:44:48 PM »
It's interesting to note that this yellow marking was also found under the dash/cowl area below where the export brace reinforcement piece was welded to the cowl on both 6S933 and 6S033.

Yes really odd/interesting. Thanks for sharing.  Not something I've ever found nor have others mentioned/documented. But not an area easily accessed nor seen.  Noticed that you didn't mention that you saw the same mark on the other 66's you two have done

Not sure why a mark would need to be place in the interior side but then we have these two examples.

Have found yellow (fairly large) prepaint marks in the trunk and a couple of other locations (even gold) on other years and models
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 04:07:10 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s2020

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 07:37:12 PM »
Excellent work Brant, feel free to delete this post , to keep focus on 933

On 2020 the yellow is more substantial right across the support. (sanded the black off to reveal)

The original yellow D is above the black.( if indeed it is a D)

drivers side "26" is under the black

pass side "DSO" is under the black
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 04:00:21 AM by 6s2020 »

Brant

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 09:59:51 PM »
Excellent work Brant, feel free to delete this post , to keep focus on 933

On 2020 the yellow is more substantial right across the support. (sanded the black of to reveal)

The original yellow D is above the black.( if indeed it is a D)

drivers side "26" is under the black

pass side "DSO" is under the black

Very cool. Thanks for sharing these pictures.
-Brant

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Brant

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
6S933 is painted!!! I can't wait to post pictures after some of the "pretty stuff" gets installed!

Click here for the latest post and more images:
http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2018/05/just-details1966-shelby-mustang-gt350.html

-Brant

gt350cs

• View Profile
Amazing pictures. Always appreciate the updates.

gjz30075

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Looks great, Brant!    I can't tell from the pics but is it safe to assume the pinch weld gets painted black?
Greg Z
6S2249

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 12:17:12 PM »

I understand the markings in other places mean different things to workers on the line,  just curious what that one on upper core support meant.   I am probably sweating the details too much. Is it Shelby specific or did all Mustangs get that yellow mark (on the core upper support exactly)?

I can comment my San Jose Nov 1965 built non-Shelby also had the sloppy splash of yellow across the top of the core support much like what is shown in Darryll's (6s2020) photo.

regards,
jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

Brant

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Looks great, Brant!    I can't tell from the pics but is it safe to assume the pinch weld gets painted black?

Yes! That still needs to be done along with the blackout at the side scoops.
-Brant

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com

Sure Jeremy will get to that. Looks like the pictures may be pre engine compartment paint also.

Like the non 100% coverage of body color in all the nooks and crannies of the trunk :)

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 01:56:12 PM »

I can comment my San Jose Nov 1965 built non-Shelby also had the sloppy splash of yellow across the top of the core support much like what is shown in Darryll's (6s2020) photo.

regards,
jim p

Jim,
        6S477 had yellow paint ( under the black) on the top of  the core support about 18"s wide and favoring the driver's side.It was more of a "taxi cab" yellow than a "canary yellow".  Brush paint , not spray. It was probably built in Oct at SJ by the Ford vin.
      Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

davez

• View Profile
1127 will begin restoration later this year. It too has the yellow on the radiator support and  inside the firewall. It also has large D in yellow inside on each kick panel

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:57:44 PM by davez »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
For those reading be sure that after the restoration that the yellow paint on the radiator support is under the black engine bay paint and not on top of the black paint were it is visible. It is easy to get confused on these nuance details which are good to know about but are not seen once restored.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby