Author Topic: Just the Details...1966 Shelby Mustang GT350 Resto 6S933- Update 5/2/2020  (Read 14367 times)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
On a few odd/rare cars you can sometimes find a yellow paint splash under the exterior paint in the trunk area also. Think the latest I've seen for San Jose was in 69

As for 66 production the marking on the top of the radiator support I've not found a pattern yet since not all of the cars seem to have this marking. As others have mentioned this is under the engine compartment black and about the only thing you may see on the finished produce is a ripple in the black paint or drips in the black as a results of the runs in the yellow below. Just like when its found in the trunk surface. On the top of the radiator  support it can some times look or be confused with some firewall sealant that at times got applied to the general same location by a messy worker ::)

It's not like the crayon marks under the black that can produce more of a shadow at times when observed from an angle in the black paint applied over those markings
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 05:33:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: Just the Details...1966 Shelby Mustang GT350 Restoration 6S933- Update 9/18
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2018, 05:02:43 PM »
Finally another update on the restoration of 6S933. Click on the link or pictures to see more.

You can also subscribe to my Blog by clicking here. I'll have another post with more pictures next week.

Click here for the link to more pictures and info.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 05:12:29 PM by Brant »
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Brant

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
More pictures on the restoration of 6S933. It's starting to come together now!

Click on the link or one of the images for more pictures.

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2018/11/just-details1966-shelby-mustang-gt350.html

-Brant

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

6s2020

• View Profile
Great work Brant & Co, looking good.

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

Great looking work, and an amazing color, but i might be biased.   :)

66TotalPerf

• SAAC Member
  • 66 GT350 Tribute
    • View Profile
Brant,

You guys are making quality progress on this car!

Question - I thought with an earlier/mid 66, like 6s933, that the washer fluid reservoir bag would be the black/white version, not the gold lettering version you've used? When is the approx Shelby/Ford switchover point or why'd you go with the gold version?

Thanks!
Brent
-Brent
'66 GT350 Tribute, '66 F100 4x4

Brant

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Brant,

You guys are making quality progress on this car!

Question - I thought with an earlier/mid 66, like 6s933, that the washer fluid reservoir bag would be the black/white version, not the gold lettering version you've used? When is the approx Shelby/Ford switchover point or why'd you go with the gold version?

Thanks!
Brent

Brent,

I think this was discussed in another thread, but yeah, the general thought used to be that the gold lettered bag did not appear until very late '66. I used to even list it that way.

With more research, it appears that this particular style was used earlier than that. There are several examples, but I know that even 6S598 that appears in the April 1966 edition of Sports Car Graphic has the gold lettered bag. 6S933 had its original.
-Brant

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
This is an incredible build and thanks to Brant for sharing it! 

I have a question for the Shelby Judges, how would you judge this car.  Obviously, there has been great pains and money spent to recreate the painting over spray process but I don't believe Ford or Shelby took such great pains originally.  I respect what has been done and my question is one of education and definitely not to criticize. 

It looks like an amazing better than factory build quality.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Brant

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

I have a question for the Shelby Judges, how would you judge this car.  Obviously, there has been great pains and money spent to recreate the painting over spray process but I don't believe Ford or Shelby took such great pains originally.  I respect what has been done and my question is one of education and definitely not to criticize. 

I'll take this one...6S033 was built the same way and scored a high gold in Div. II/Concours at the Indianapolis convention.
-Brant

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

I'll take this one...6S033 was built the same way and scored a high gold in Div. II/Concours at the Indianapolis convention.

Brant, that's great and deserving.  I assume a car that was done close to assembly line methods would also score the same?  The restorations that Jeremy does are exceptional. 

Brant

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

Brant, that's great and deserving.  I assume a car that was done close to assembly line methods would also score the same?  The restorations that Jeremy does are exceptional.
[/quote]

Well, exact overspray patterns are duplicated, etc. and all details are put back as found, so...

There are many different methods used when restoring a car and "qualities" of restoration. This particular way is very time consuming with more time spent on details such as dent removal, pitting removal, panel straightness, etc...lots of time.

If the details and parts are correct, yes, the car will score well. There will always be a small deduction for base/clear paint if it is sanded and buffed i.e. doesn't look like the original single stage finish/without orange peel.

If you are interested in more details, it would be easier to give me a call.
-Brant

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Just the Details...1966 Shelby Mustang GT350 Resto 6S933- Update 11/13/18
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2018, 08:33:48 PM »
Thank you Brant, I truly appreciate the knowledge and clarification and will call to discuss.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:35:21 PM by Greg »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile

That question is a ironic one because Ford DIDN'T take great pains in the painting and sealing process and that is why there is over spray in various places .  If Ford was more careful and took more care there wouldn't be the overspray. ;) Trying to recreate the process to get the same look is the trick . It takes knowledge and ability.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:23:16 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2018, 09:31:18 PM »
Greg,no harm no foul but wanted to clarify that from Wikipedia, Irony , in its broadest sense, is a event in which what appears, on the surface, to be the case, differs radically from what is actually the case.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2018, 09:45:04 PM »
Bob, no worries, I didn't take it wrong at all.  I appreciate all the comments and that is why I am on here to learn more about the cars and processes. 

I know the restorer has taken great pains to "create" overspray and it seemed to me that just letting the overspray occur as it would have in the same manner as Ford did would have been much easier and less expensive.  There are many ways to the same end but from what I have learned is production line really wasn't created but allowed happen.  In some other restoration brands like Corvette, they actually deduct for cars that are too good.  I wasn't sure how this was judged when it came to Shelby.

Thanks,
Greg