News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Just the Details...1966 Shelby Mustang GT350 Resto 6S933- Update 5/2/2020

Started by Brant, March 23, 2018, 04:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on December 08, 2018, 09:45:04 PM
Bob, no worries, I didn't take it wrong at all.  I appreciate all the comments and that is why I am on here to learn more about the cars and processes. 

I know the restorer has taken great pains to "create" overspray and it seemed to me that just letting the overspray occur as it would have in the same manner as Ford did would have been much easier and less expensive.  There are many ways to the same end but from what I have learned is production line really wasn't created but allowed happen.  In some other restoration brands like Corvette, they actually deduct for cars that are too good.  I wasn't sure how this was judged when it came to Shelby.

Thanks,
Greg
It can be hard to create the overspray the original way when not using the same assemblyline equipment that the factory used . The guns are quite different and so are the volume levels. The same goes for the materials used. There is more to it then just letting overspray occur . If that was the case it would be easy not hard. That is if trying to replicate the way it looked on the cars from the factory. There are deductions when the overspray is missing or the patterns wrong. Too good in the context as it pertains to the concours judging that the various Mustang venues recognize means that the factory procedures that appear sloppy to some are missing and are grounds for deductions.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Brant

Finally posted an update on the restoration of 6S933. It's pretty much finished except for putting some miles on it.

Its debut will be at SAAC-44 in Pittsburgh in July.

Here's the link to check out more pictures:
http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2019/04/just-details1966-shelby-mustang-gt350.html

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

J_Speegle

Thanks for sharing - Looks great. Looking forward to seeing it in person
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Rocket

Great looking car, Brant. From you I would not expect any less. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

CSX 4133

Great looking Shelby, I'll be anxious to see it in person in July.

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Brant

Here is a link to kind of the "wrap up" post of the restoration of 1966 GT350 SFM6S933.

Kudos to Jeremy at Maple Hill Restoration for the absolute stunning restoration. The owner from NY who commissioned the restoration sold the car to another customer from here in Virginia. Click on the picture or link to see more pictures.

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2020/04/just-details1966-shelby-mustang-gt350.html

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

chris NOS

Shelby_r_b

Nothing beats a classic!

Side-Oilers

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model