News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Detailing questions

Started by hertz350, November 03, 2020, 03:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hertz350

I am looking for input on:

The brand and color of the oil filter at the time the March built '66s shipped from Shelby.

Did workers at Shelby change the oil filter when installing the aluminum pan?

Was the oil filter painted blue at the same time the engine was painted?

When the oil pan was replaced at Shelby, did they often replace the pan gasket? I can't imagine pulling the pan and not damaging the gasket. Thus, I believe the cork gasket should not be painted blue on its edge if it was replaced. Is that correct?

Were there axle paint codes for the driver's side and passenger side axles that were installed at San Jose? If so, what colors?

What color was the silicone or RTV as used by Ford and/or Shelby in March 66 on the engines and in particular as used by Shelby when installing the intake manifold?

Thanks!
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

J_Speegle

Long list so lets take a few bites

Quote from: hertz350 on November 03, 2020, 03:33:04 PM
When the oil pan was replaced at Shelby, did they often replace the pan gasket? I can't imagine pulling the pan and not damaging the gasket. Thus, I believe the cork gasket should not be painted blue on its edge if it was replaced. Is that correct?

For a March car the oil pan was likely installed at Ford but yes the pan gasket would have been changed when the steel oil pan was removed and replaced one without blue engine paint on it. If done at SA (given the discussion that went along with the "French Film") the same practices would accomplish the same thing and the same parts used in the conversion.  Instead the top and bottom surface of the cork gasket would have had black paint or ink on those two surfaces as if the gasket material was coated before it was cut out for the gasket. Same practice seen on valve cover gaskets 

Quote from: hertz350 on November 03, 2020, 03:33:04 PMWere there axle paint codes for the driver's side and passenger side axles that were installed at San Jose? If so, what colors?

Axle paint codes? are you asking about paint daubs and markings on the axles inside the housing or at the ends where the wheels and brake drums would attach? Don't recall any colored identification paint colors applied to the shafts or splines like other applications in later years like you would find on the steering shaft on a 66 for example

Quote from: hertz350 on November 03, 2020, 03:33:04 PMWhat color was the silicone or RTV as used by Ford and/or Shelby in March 66 on the engines and in particular as used by Shelby when installing the intake manifold?

No RTV or silicon was used where the cork intake manifold to paper runner gaskets. Will look up the product but its like going to be a generic name used by Ford and a long gone material number that identified it
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

Not many surfaces and parts got any sealant applied to them. The vast majority were things like threads and plugs. In a few cases the text suggests that adhesive was used to hold a gasket in place during assembly as a help rather than for its sealing properties

Under end intake gasket to apparently hold it in place to the block ESE-M2682-B (very hard to read/make out) after surface is wiped with chlothane

Sealant was applied between the corners of the timing cover to block and to oil pan corner and the four corners of the intake end gaskets to head gaskets you asked about in small spots. Material identified as (again difficult to make out) ESE-?2651-A

I've used a small daub of Form a Gasket (non silicon.RTV) over the years in these locations
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

hertz350

Jeff: Thank you for this info.

With regard to the oil filter, can you shed light on whether it was blue from San Jose and if it was blue, what color was it before it was painted blue?

Thank you.
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

J_Speegle

Just taking it in bites :)

First wanted to see if I had any day one pictures of a 66 but it seems that all I could find were 65's and not assuming that they would be the same as 66 after the carry over cars.

Current (from what I'm aware of) belief is that they were present on the engine when it was painted.  Been that way for over a decade now.  I can't confirm if the whole filter was painted at that time - every time (since they may have been painted by the supplier then repainted) but the safe bet at this time is to fully paint the dual crimped filter with the engine.

Engine assembly instructions only note that the mating surface from filter to block be protected from any paint getting on the block surface. Having an oil filter in place would have accomplished this since only very little amount of paint would travel between the filter and block around the edges