News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Need Help finding the magazines, names & dates for this 1966 'eat spaghetti' ad

Started by Richstang, November 04, 2020, 06:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

Would anyone happen to know the magazines (and newspapers), issue and date, where this '66 GT350 ad was placed?

'If you get lonesome for Italy, eat spaghetti'

It was likely in some of the cars magazines, but I've looked everywhere I could and still came up empty.
Most places (eBay) that sell these ads don't note the issues/dates.

One suggestion was in the February '66 issue of Playboy, but it was not in the regional issue I looked through.
(There may have been 4 or 5 regional issue published, with different advertisements in each.
The number of stars on the cover is the tell for which region it is.)

Thanks for any help on this

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Side-Oilers

Would be an even better ad if it said:  "Eat some Shelby chili and forget Italy altogether."
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

honker

Rich, I looked on the net, info you already know, this for sale listing for the ad says it was in Playboy 1966. That ad you are looking

for is also  in the Corcoran soft cover book on Shelby Mustangs, pub. '92, but doesn't say where it appeared. There is  an ad with

the same theme that also was in I think Playboy ? I've included an image.

Mike

PS: Dug around more on the net, could it be in the July '66 Playboy, in which there is a spread (4 pages) on the GT40 P/1028 ? ?

Richstang

Thanks Mike, for the reply and for looking around.

I know about the other '66 Shelby GT350 ad "How to make an Italian cry". (a dig at Ferrari)
That was found in the November 1965 Playboy (west coast /3 stars on cover") issue.

My search is on the original magazines and newspapers, published ad dates. (not any later re-printed sources)

I'll ask around about the July 66 PB issue as a possibility...thanks.

Szabo

i found this preety cool thing on the John Atzbach Collection

https://www.mecum.com/lots/RM0520-429544/1966-shelby-american-gt350-playboy-showroom-brochure/

Greets

Stephan

Edith: sorry, wrong Advertisment, but pretty cool anywhere

Szabo

SFM66H

Thanks Szabo,

Does anyone have a west coast edition of Playboy that contains this ad? I'd really like to learn how many stars are in the "P" of Playboy on the cover which denotes it as a west coast edition. Because just finding that months issue on eBay for example, does not assure you that you would be purchasing an issue that actually contains that ad.

Thanks,
Kieth
1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

Richstang

Thank You gentlemen!

These Playboy regional issues are proving to be troublesome.
THANKS to KIETH for bringing the regional issue / numbers of stars, on the cover, to my attention!
This explain why we're having trouble identifying the month of the ads.

I don't think the regional issue was done in the car magazines, so any issues (dates?) in hand will tell us Yes or No on this 'eat spaghetti' ad.
(Car Life, Car Craft, Car & Driver, Hot Rod, Motor Trend, Road & Track, Sports Car Graphic, etc)

FYI;
The 'eat spaghetti' ad was NOT found in any issues of 'Esquire' nor 'Sports Illustrated' magazines, NOT in any month.

I just wanted to confirm the ad in question was only found in Playboy's west coast issue (3 stars on the cover).
This was noted in 'The Shelby American', but some of us forgot about that article.

Thanks to Stephan / Szabo for the reminder,
and
to Kieth /SFM66H for hunting the ad down and proving it was only in the west coast regional issue and not any of the other regions.

Side-Oilers

I wouldn't imagine that Shelby-American had much of an advertising budget.  The regional ads are a method of making those prices lower while targeting (most/some of) your particular market. 

Playboy may have had a "pay to play" policy for cars. No ad, no story. So that could make sense why these ads are in Playboy only.  Shelby had the newsstand appeal to get a story in any of the car magazines with a simple phone call. Or, more likely, it was the magazines calling him for a special scoop. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

69mach351w

Quote from: honker on November 04, 2020, 09:55:32 PM
Rich, I looked on the net, info you already know, this for sale listing for the ad says it was in Playboy 1966. That ad you are looking

for is also  in the Corcoran soft cover book on Shelby Mustangs, pub. '92, but doesn't say where it appeared. There is  an ad with

the same theme that also was in I think Playboy ? I've included an image.

Mike

PS: Dug around more on the net, could it be in the July '66 Playboy, in which there is a spread (4 pages) on the GT40 P/1028 ? ?
I remember seeing this ad "How to make an Italian Cry" years ago.  I remember seeing the guy driving the Shelby. Look closely, it looks like his head is on his chest :o

KerryBWhite

Quote from: SFM66H on November 05, 2020, 12:03:25 PM
Thanks Szabo,

Does anyone have a west coast edition of Playboy that contains this ad? I'd really like to learn how many stars are in the "P" of Playboy on the cover which denotes it as a west coast edition. Because just finding that months issue on eBay for example, does not assure you that you would be purchasing an issue that actually contains that ad.

Thanks,
Kieth

Doesn't answer question but here are a couple issues, one with 2 stars and one with 3 stars maybe worth the purchase price to research the ad
2 stars......  https://www.ebay.com/itm/254765815702
3 stars......   https://www.ebay.com/itm/254626295718

Richstang

Quote from: KerryBWhite on November 06, 2020, 10:32:57 PM
Quote from: SFM66H on November 05, 2020, 12:03:25 PM
Thanks Szabo,

Thanks,
Kieth

Doesn't answer question but here are a couple issues, one with 2 stars and one with 3 stars maybe worth the purchase price to research the ad
2 stars......  https://www.ebay.com/itm/254765815702
3 stars......   https://www.ebay.com/itm/254626295718

Another forum member has been reaching out to eBay sellers to confirm which issues might have the ad.
It might also be in some car magazines and not exclusive to Playboy, around the same time in 1966.

Szabo

Ich check follow Car Magazine online in full extent,

but there was NOT this Ad include  :'(

Car Craft Magazin 6 / 1966

Car Life 1/66 and 4/66

Hot Rod Magazin 1/66 3/66 4/66 6/66 8/66 9/66 10/66 12/66

Car and Drive 1/66 5/66

Motor Trend 2/66 3/66