News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Alternator fan and pulley colors and finishes?

Started by hertz350, November 05, 2020, 10:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hertz350

Looking for information on the generally correct color for the alternator fan and the large pulley on a March 66 Shelby. My fan on the alternator is black. And, while I have never seen a corporate blue painted pulley, mine was blue.

Also, looking for a picture of the vacuum line and fitting on the rear of the S2MS Shelby intake on a Hertz automatic car.

Thanks!
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

J_Speegle

If you know your car came with a blue fan I would suggest that you return it as is only restored. Of course if you choose to not take that path you can do what is typically found. Black with the nut and washer plated with zinc or cad.  Up to you. Would not suggest anyone add this detail to their car just to make it stand out

We have documented found a small number of both K code and small block 65-66 Mustangs and Shelby's that came with the blue fan and pulley. Have not found a reason so far but they have been found on cars built at all three Mustang plants. Assume that they were installed on other Ford products but not as much time and research has been given to those models I guess. My wife's car came with one of them and there are factory pictures taken at Dearborn with blue fan and pulley in a color picture.

Pictures in the link/thread below

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=487.0

There are examples out there were the blue paint is from an earlier owner and a rattle can but if you take the items off the alternator you will find if the back side paint is the same and in likely better condition than the visible finish   
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

Quote from: hertz350 on November 05, 2020, 10:50:14 PM
Also, looking for a picture of the vacuum line and fitting on the rear of the S2MS Shelby intake on a Hertz automatic car.

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

hertz350

Yes. Thanks for the picture. Exactly what I was looking for.
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

J_Speegle

Your welcome

Did reread your first few sentences  and would add - The fact that you report that you have a black fan and a blue pulley might suggest the rattle can possibility or pieces were mixed and swapped around during an earlier rebuild. Is the mating side of the pulley painted also the blue?

hertz350

Yes. The mating side of the pulley was blue. Jim Cowles restored this years ago. When I asked him about it he said he restored it exactly as he found it including painting the fan semi-gloss black. This car has car has 52K documented miles. But I have no history of whether anyone else may have repainted the fan and the pulley.

J_Speegle

Thanks will add it with notes to the spread sheet. Interesting that its sort of backwards given what we've collected so far but we'll see how it unfolds.

gt350hr

Jeff ,
    6S477 was blue fan , gold pulley  per the back side of the pulley as the front looked "unplated" at 67,000 miles when I bought it. Still has the original orange stencil on it too. 6S240 being a carry over was black and black , yet when I stripped the original black paint off it was gold underneath. The others I've owned did not have original alternators by the time I owned them.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

6R07mi

just to add a contemporary note ( not to imply this applies to the cars discussed here)....

Ford allowed the use of Authorized Ford Rebuilder components under new car warranty repairs up until Ford killed the rebuilder program with the advent of Visteon.
These could be used on a repair on a month old car all the way until warranty expiration.
Ford allowed this because Ford Authorized parts had to meet the same specification as a new part, dimensionally, electrical and performance
there were regional rebuilders aka GPD around the country and they had variances to how they "finished" their products, some variances identified the rebuilder.

common rebuilt parts used on warranty repairs were alternators, starters, carburetors, clutch plate & disc, A/C compressors, etc

I don't recall ever seeing painted alternator parts, but they typically came less fan & pulley.
a common clue of a rebuild was the media blasted case surface, removing the day 1 surface finish.

just FYI

regards, jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense