News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

How will YOU prepare for a zero emissions world?

Started by deathsled, November 06, 2020, 12:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Yes, with pride I say that my marriages lasted about as long as a green traffic light. First one actually 6 years with no spawn. (But who can give better advice about the pitfalls of marriage, me or someone who has been married for 300 years?) 50 percent of marriages end in divorce (I personally believe the statistic is higher). Of the 50 percent that stay together I bet that only half of those are happy. So that means on a good day that 25 percent of marriages are happy but probably far less. Good luck.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Drew Pojedinec

21 years married, happily so.
If I person wanted a divorce, I would think you'd be the guy to talk to 😀

Quote from: QuickSilverShelby on November 11, 2020, 08:39:47 PM
Quote from: 557 on November 11, 2020, 12:48:28 PM
QSS (if you are married)you have a very understanding wife.I wish mine were so inclined.... :'(
I gotta admit, my wife is a pretty good girl.  She tolerates my car hobby and is supportive of my crazy ass ideas which includes this new house design.  How ever, having said that, she wouldn't tolerate my idea of having one of the cars in our master bedroom.  She drew the line there.  That would have been the "absolute shit" if I do say so myself.

QSS
.     Did you offer to drain the fluids from said "bedroom car"???Might be worth a shot!!!At any rate she definitely sounds like a "keeper" IMHO....

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: 557 on November 12, 2020, 07:36:56 PM
Did you offer to drain the fluids from said "bedroom car"???Might be worth a shot!!!At any rate she definitely sounds like a "keeper" IMHO....
If there's another house in the future, I might give it a try but I probably won't push my luck.

She actually gave up her heated garage spot this winter so we could keep our latest car purchase in the nice warm garage until the new house is built.   Even I was a surprised when she offered her spot for the winter.  Her only condition was that I get her a car starter for her car.  What a girl!

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

JohnHouston

Quote from: QuickSilverShelby on November 12, 2020, 08:11:34 PM
Did you offer to drain the fluids from said "bedroom car"???Might be worth a shot!!!At any rate she definitely sounds like a "keeper" IMHO....
If there's another house in the future, I might give it a try but I probably won't push my luck.

She actually gave up her heated garage spot this winter so we could keep our latest car purchase in the nice warm garage until the new house is built.   Even I was a surprised when she offered her spot for the winter.  Her only condition was that I get her a car starter for her car.  What a girl!

QSS

A "car starter."  I sure hope that is like a young blonde nanny . . .

John

shelbydoug

Quote from: JohnHouston on November 13, 2020, 11:06:36 AM

QSS

A "car starter."  I sure hope that is like a young blonde nanny . . .

John

Buy the Summit version. It's cheaper.  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Does she have a sister???
QSS

FL SAAC

You all are worried about this but nobody is worried about the new Godzilla and what he has got inside the box for us..... happy 2021 !

Lets get this back on track to ZERO EMISSIONS
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

papa scoops

have myself burried with the car, with my foot to the floor. phred

67 GT350

Get ready electric car or not, it will be a very bumpy road ahead for the next 4 years.
How come nobody talks about how "dirty" electric cars really are?
RARE  Signature Delete

FL SAAC

Quote from: 67 GT350 on November 24, 2020, 08:44:48 AM
Get ready electric car or not, it will be a very bumpy road ahead for the next 4 years.
How come nobody talks about how "dirty" electric cars really are?

Funny you mention that, is that a generator powering up a EV....

What I found is that widespread adoption of electric vehicles nationwide will likely increase air pollution compared with new internal combustion vehicles. You read that right: more electric cars and trucks will mean more pollution.

That might sound counterintuitive: After all, won't replacing a 30-year old, smoke-belching Oldsmobile with a new electric vehicle reduce air pollution? Yes, of course. But that's also where many electric vehicle proponents' arguments run off the road: they fail to consider just how clean and efficient new internal combustion vehicles are. The appropriate comparison for evaluating the benefits of all those electric vehicle subsidies and mandates isn't the difference between an electric vehicle and an old gas-guzzler; it's the difference between an electric car and a new gas car. And new internal combustion engines are really clean. Today's vehicles emit only about 1% of the pollution than they did in the 1960s, and new innovations continue to improve those engines' efficiency and cleanliness.

And as for that electric car: The energy doesn't come from nowhere. Cars are charged from the nation's electrical grid, which means that they're only as "clean" as America's mix of power sources. Those are getting cleaner, but we still generate power mainly by burning fossil fuels: natural gas is our biggest source of electricity, and is projected to increase. And coal, while still declining, will remain the second largest source of electricity for some time. (Third is nuclear power, which doesn't generate emissions but has other byproducts that worry some environmentalists.) Even with large increases in wind and solar generation, the EIA projects that the nation's electric generating mix will be just 30% renewable by 2030. Based on that forecast, if the EIA's projected number of electric vehicles were replaced with new internal combustion vehicles, air pollution would actually decrease—and this holds true even if you include the emissions from oil refineries that manufacture gasoline.

As for states like California with stringent mandates to use more renewable energy for their power grid, they also have the highest electric rates in the continental US, 50% higher than the US average. And electric rates in those states just keep increasing. So it's a cleaner power mix, but makes recharging your car more expensive. The higher the electric rate, the lower the incentive for a new car buyer to purchase an electric vehicle.

As for greenhouse-gas emissions, my analysis shows that electric vehicles will reduce them compared to new internal combustion vehicles. But based on the EIA's projection of the number of new electric vehicles, the net reduction in CO2 emissions between 2018 and 2050 would be only about one-half of one percent of total forecast U.S. energy-related carbon emissions. Such a small change will have no impact whatsoever on climate, and thus have no economic benefit.

I have all UNGOLD cars

JohnHouston

And nobody likes to talk about lead and lithium mining, smelting and purifying.  Those are businesses much nastier than coal!  But that happens somewhere else, so we can ignore that.  But then those batteries have to be shipped to where the cars are made. . .  never mind. . .Negative externalities . . .

jpd

Most of what we see today is virtue signalling  :-\

FL SAAC

Did you say lee tee um

Got to admit them there beaches look mighty appealing, still worried about Godzilla.....

Indigenous people are left poor as tech world takes lithium from under their feet – The Denver Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.denverpost.com/2016/12/19/indigenous-people-are-left-poor-as-tech-world-takes-lithium-from-under-their-feet/amp/

Lithium is powering today's technology—at what price?
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2019/02/lithium-is-fueling-technology-today-at-what-cost/
Quote from: JohnHouston on November 24, 2020, 10:58:06 AM
And nobody likes to talk about lead and lithium mining, smelting and purifying.  Those are businesses much nastier than coal!  But that happens somewhere else, so we can ignore that.  But then those batteries have to be shipped to where the cars are made. . .  never mind. . .Negative externalities . . .

jpd

I have all UNGOLD cars

deathsled

I am not worried even in the slightest. The new regime has it all figured out for us.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"