News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

65 parts layout photo recreation

Started by CharlesTurner, November 07, 2020, 10:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlesTurner

There's a few articles coming out now on the 5S003 re-restoration.  Here's the parts layout photo recreation we did before converting 003 back to a GT350.

To add... it was a bit eerie laying these parts out and recreating the moment.  We could almost imagine what it was like at Shelby American that day... very much like the entire GT350 conversion process.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Dan Case

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

bluemax

Without out a doubt, one of the best articles I have ever seen in the magazine. Great job on the resto... twice! Charles. Hoping to see the car in person next year.
6S235

Greg

Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Very cool.

In the vintage picture, what are the two white things sitting on the package tray on either side of the spare tire cover?

JD

Quote from: 2112 on November 07, 2020, 12:56:34 PM
Very cool.

In the vintage picture, what are the two white things sitting on the package tray on either side of the spare tire cover?

I was thinking they're the over-ride covers that were inside the car?

Didn't the battery get moved to the trunk? isn't the coil laying on the spare tire cover to run power from the battery to the front?
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

DRGT350

Charles,
Do the oil pan fins and Cobra letters on the pan get polished too ?
Can't tell from the picture-

Dave

CharlesTurner

Quote from: JD on November 07, 2020, 01:08:11 PM
I was thinking they're the over-ride covers that were inside the car?

Didn't the battery get moved to the trunk? isn't the coil laying on the spare tire cover to run power from the battery to the front?

Right, 003 didn't have the traction bar covers.

Yes on the battery cable.  In the original photo the tire cover is upside down.  The original tire cover for 003 didn't look 'new' on the bottom (blackish areas from tire rub), so we chose to lay it out top up.

I probably would remove the traction bar brackets if I had to do it over... we didn't install those on 003 for the re-restoration, the originals were left in place.  We have another photo that shows a rear differential like the original photo, although for the re-restoration, we chose to leave the detroit locker in place.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

CharlesTurner

Quote from: DRGT350 on November 07, 2020, 05:54:45 PM
Charles,
Do the oil pan fins and Cobra letters on the pan get polished too ?
Can't tell from the picture-

Dave

Yep.  Jim Cowles did an amazing job re-restoring the oil pan.  It had blems/chips in the fins.  He fixed all of that and machined/polished everything like new.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

DRGT350

CharlesTurner

Quote from: bluemax on November 07, 2020, 11:50:26 AM
Without out a doubt, one of the best articles I have ever seen in the magazine. Great job on the resto... twice! Charles. Hoping to see the car in person next year.

Thanks, it was definitely a team effort, so I won't take sole credit.

I also thought it was an amazing article, Donald Farr, along with Al Rogers' photos created a work of art!
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

alexgt350h

The display you guys had at French Lick was outstanding.
When and where will the Donald Farr article come out?

Special Ed

Dont see battery tray & neg cable in photo.  Did anybody post any photos of the 003 display with the car?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Special Ed on November 08, 2020, 01:31:28 PM
Dont see battery tray & neg cable in photo.  Did anybody post any photos of the 003 display with the car?
Look harder they are on top of the tire cover.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: alexgt350h on November 08, 2020, 12:16:09 PM
The display you guys had at French Lick was outstanding.
When and where will the Donald Farr article come out?

Already published in the Mustang Times -  MCA's monthly magazine
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge