News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

65 parts layout photo recreation

Started by CharlesTurner, November 07, 2020, 10:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

Anyone struck by the fact the parts have become too rare, precious and perfectly restored to merely set on the bare pavement for a photo?
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

alexgt350h

Anyone have a copy of Mustang times with 003 article I could get?
Not a member of MCA.
Brent

A SAAC member sent me article --- THANKS

CharlesTurner

Quote from: alexgt350h on November 08, 2020, 02:31:01 PM
Anyone have a copy of Mustang times with 003 article I could get?
Not a member of MCA.
Brent

Unless someone can send their copy, I don't think there's any other way to get one.  MCA does offer a digital membership for $35 that would give access to the magazine online. 

Look for an article in the Shelby American coming out soon... Rick also did a really nice spread on the car.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

CharlesTurner

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on November 08, 2020, 02:17:11 PM
Anyone struck by the fact the parts have become too rare, precious and perfectly restored to merely set on the bare pavement for a photo?

Yes, no doubt!  Keep in mind that almost all of those parts for 003 are the earliest original versions, making them even more rare than "typical" '65 GT350 parts.  No way were we going to put them on concrete.   :)
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Royce Peterson

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

mark p

Quote from: CharlesTurner on November 08, 2020, 06:31:46 PM
Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on November 08, 2020, 02:17:11 PM

Yes, no doubt!  Keep in mind that almost all of those parts for 003 are the earliest original versions, making them even more rare than "typical" '65 GT350 parts.  No way were we going to put them on concrete.   :)

Super job all the way around!  8) thanks for posting that here.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

PerryH

No shock tower "export brace" with the reinforcement at the cowl (in both the vintage and new photos), or was that a later addition?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: PerryH on November 10, 2020, 01:54:53 PM
No shock tower "export brace" with the reinforcement at the cowl (in both the vintage and new photos), or was that a later addition?
Nether are the reinforced upper shock braces ether. I believe at the point in time when the layout was done that the items in the Ford installed export package were not considered relevant and only the Shelby added items were. Just my thoughts .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

Quote from: PerryH on November 10, 2020, 01:54:53 PM

The first 3 cars did not come with the export brace.  5S003 is the only street production GT350 sold without an export brace.

The export brace and reinforced shock tower caps were subsequently installed by Ford on the assembly line... common misconception that these were added at Shelby American.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

PerryH

Ah.  That makes sense.  I recall Cantwell saying they spotted those braces at the factory and specified their inclusion on their fastbacks.

66GT350

Just curious, who insatlled the export brace and reinforecement plate to the other two cars? I understand San Jose Ford plant did the follow on cars after the first three.
Regards,
Phil
6S292  1972-1986
6R07Mi 1979-2008
1970 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler

CharlesTurner

Quote from: 66GT350 on November 11, 2020, 10:42:22 AM
Just curious, who insatlled the export brace and reinforecement plate to the other two cars? I understand San Jose Ford plant did the follow on cars after the first three.
Regards,
Phil

My guess is the export brace was only installed and not the reinforcement.  I'm not as familiar with 001/002 as I am with 003 though.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge