News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Restore or replace spare wheel?

Started by commok, November 07, 2020, 09:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

commok

What do you think? 6S978's spare is functional, but not feeling too young - should I restore it or find a new replacement? Who would you suggest to restore, or where to buy a new wheel?

427hunter

Shouldn't the spokes be brushed chrome vs bright polished chrome?
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

6s1640

Hi 427Hunter,  all the chrome would have been very shiny when new.  On restoring, I am not aware  of anyone that still restores these wheels,  so you might be out of luck.  I'd recommend a new Blue Streak tire from Kelsey Tire.  If you want shiny again, Virginia Mustang can sell you a repop made by Wheels Vintiques.
Best of luck
Cory

CSX 4133

Totally unrelated question.... so what are these wheels "worth" in unrestored condition?

commok

Thanks gents - I saw the repop at Virginia Classics, and they do a great deal of business with me already (  :):) so I will head there... I like the Blue Streak idea as well...

427hunter

Quote from: 6s1640 on November 08, 2020, 02:09:14 AM
Hi 427Hunter,  all the chrome would have been very shiny when new.  On restoring, I am not aware  of anyone that still restores these wheels,  so you might be out of luck.  I'd recommend a new Blue Streak tire from Kelsey Tire.  If you want shiny again, Virginia Mustang can sell you a repop made by Wheels Vintiques.
Best of luck
Cory

Hi, original magnum 500 wheels for fords had bright chrome rims with brushed chrome spokes.

Here is an example

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

J_Speegle

Quote from: commok on November 07, 2020, 09:00:03 PM
What do you think? 6S978's spare is functional, but not feeling too young - should I restore it or find a new replacement? Who would you suggest to restore, or where to buy a new wheel?

Believe the choice comes down to your intended purpose/use of the car when finished as well as how much effort and dollars you want to spend. Consideration of each in combination should lead you to the best choice for you
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

OldGuy

Quote from: 427hunter on November 08, 2020, 11:59:19 AM
Quote from: 6s1640 on November 08, 2020, 02:09:14 AM
Best of luck
Cory

Hi, original magnum 500 wheels for fords had bright chrome rims with brushed chrome spokes.

I would disagree with your blanket statement about the brushed spokes on the Ford-used wheels. The original Hertz-style wheels as referred to in the original post have polished spokes. The picture that you posted looks like a 15" wheel from a later Magnum application like a Boss.

Frank

Here is an example

6s1640

Hi 427Hunter,

Attached is a repop chrome 1966 GT350H Magnum 500.  Tell me what you see with the spokes.  All the original Hertz wheels I have seen have all had shiny spokes.  Now they could be dulled with age, but where once shiny, not brushed.

Best of luck

Cory

6s1640

Quote from: CSX 4133 on November 08, 2020, 07:03:20 AM

Totally unrelated question.... so what are these wheels "worth" in unrestored condition?

Hi CSX4133,

The price of a repop wheels is $334.95 plus shipping.  The last wheel I had restored was $350 plus shipping twice.  I purchased a very nice un-restored wheel from Tony Branda for $150 plus shipping.  If you were to find a nice wheel for $100, I'd jump on it.  But based on the high cost to restore, $50 would be a better deal, but I have seen asking prices much higher.

Not sure that helped, but some data for you to think about.

Cory

427hunter

Reproduction magnum 500 are all the same bright chrome finish - original magnum 500's have a brushed chrome spoke/inner and a bright chrome rim.

I found this with photo's http://www.429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/wheels.htm

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

J_Speegle

Quote from: 427hunter on November 08, 2020, 04:16:44 PM
Reproduction magnum 500 are all the same bright chrome finish - original magnum 500's have a brushed chrome spoke/inner and a bright chrome rim.

I found this with photo's http://www.429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/wheels.htm

Think they are showing later Magnums Not all of them were finished the same through all the years
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

CSX 4133

Quote from: 6s1640 on November 08, 2020, 02:41:21 PM
Quote from: CSX 4133 on November 08, 2020, 07:03:20 AM

Hi CSX4133,

The price of a repop wheels is $334.95 plus shipping.  The last wheel I had restored was $350 plus shipping twice.  I purchased a very nice un-restored wheel from Tony Branda for $150 plus shipping.  If you were to find a nice wheel for $100, I'd jump on it.  But based on the high cost to restore, $50 would be a better deal, but I have seen asking prices much higher.

Not sure that helped, but some data for you to think about.

Cory

Thanks Cory for this information. I may be selling some n the near future is why I inquired.

~Steven

98SVT - was 06GT

Get it stripped at the platers (or sandblast) and turn it into a painted one.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

6s1640

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on November 08, 2020, 10:31:30 PM
Get it stripped at the platers (or sandblast) and turn it into a painted one.

That is actually a great idea, especially for a wheel that needs restoring and no one to restore. IMHO, there is no need to strip, just sand blast to rough up the surface.  That should be enough for the paint to stick.  I know of an 66 GT350 that was at a concourse de elegance event with the painted Magnum 500's.  They were all originally the chrome versions marked 795C painted gray.  "C" is for chrome.  Don't let the judges know.  The car looked great.

Has anyone ever figured out the formula for the painted 66 GT350 Magnum 500 and willing to share?  For some reason this remains a secret.

Take care

Cory