Author Topic: Original heater hose stripe color?  (Read 1548 times)

hertz350

• 509-953-8400
    • View Profile
Original heater hose stripe color?
« on: November 10, 2020, 12:16:19 AM »
Wondering if members will post pictures of original heater hoses with the white stripe? I have looked at the reproductions from Kevin Marti and others and they do a poor job of matching originals I have seen. I no longer have original ones to look at right now

The Kevin Marti reproductions have a faint white ink stripe consisting of three lines. The color looks like a blue white. These don't match what I remember of original ones.

Any suggestions on making a set or a source for NOS would be appreciated.
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
Re: Original heater hose stripe color?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 12:30:27 PM »
   Check with Brant @ Virginia Classic Mustangs , if he doesn't have the correct hose , no one does LOL.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 01:42:12 PM »
Wondering if members will post pictures of original heater hoses with the white stripe? I have looked at the reproductions from Kevin Marti and others and they do a poor job of matching originals I have seen. I no longer have original ones to look at right now

The Kevin Marti reproductions have a faint white ink stripe consisting of three lines. The color looks like a blue white. These don't match what I remember of original ones.

Any suggestions on making a set or a source for NOS would be appreciated.
The Marti hoses are really quite good in comparison to the original. Those are of course slightly different then original hose in appearance but the best comparable out there with the exception of original IMO.The ink on the Marti hose is typically quite bright compared with the fainter ink on original. I am not sure what you mean about a ink stripe consisting of three lines? The stripe on the Meti hoses I have seen and have siting on a table next to a original pair is one solid line like the original next to it. You may be referring to the ribs made into the hose which is a mfg identification for the hose run which can vary from one hose to another.Originals are hard to find NOS and so are good donor used hoses . Unless doing a premiere Div/ Thoroughbred you would not be deducted for the Marti hoses for example. If just wanting the most authentic for your build then maybe consider installing the Marti hoses until when or if you find a satisfactory original substitute.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

outlawincorporated

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 02:57:58 PM »
HERTZ350

I think the option of actually finding genuine NOS heater hoses is a bit of a pipe dream, your best bet will be locating good used originals.

i agree with you about the Marti examples, not my favourite when doing a concours restoration.

i have attached images of a set i have removed from a unrestored 66 mustang several years

Best regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 04:44:27 PM »
HERTZ350

I think the option of actually finding genuine NOS heater hoses is a bit of a pipe dream, your best bet will be locating good used originals.

i agree with you about the Marti examples, not my favourite when doing a concours restoration.

i have attached images of a set i have removed from a unrestored 66 mustang several years

Best regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
Phill, respectfully IMO the pictures you posted based on the appearance of the cross hatched reinforcement material apparent under the surface of the hoses are ether well patinaed Marti hoses (been available for 25+ years) or later service replacements. The assemblyline hoses are typically smooth and without any indication of the cross hatch weave reinforcement material under the surface. Also to a lesser degree the way the stripe ink is applied to the Marti hose leaves a different fingerprint compared to the assemblyline.  I have posted a picture of a sampling of a number of different original hoses I have with a older patinaed Marti hose laying crossways . The older Marti Hose I have does not have as distinguishable weave pattern under the surface like yours but it is still distinguishable non the less. The assemblyline hoses do not typically have that texture visible and are smooth . The stripe between your picture and the cross ways Marti hose I pictured although not identical are similar to each other. Nether stripe is completely comparable to the more solid stripe on the originals like the one I posted laying vertical in the picture. Again this just my opinion based on the ones that I have seen and worked with over the years.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

outlawincorporated

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 07:40:45 PM »
BOB.

thanks for your reply.  im happy to be corrected if im wrong with my hoses. Since your reply ive been trying to find the images you sent me 3+ years ago when i bought a set of original heater hoses from you to compare my example to yours.  could there be a assembly plant difference through the years or maybe multiple suppliers??

The car i took the above pictured hoses from was a February 66 Mustang X San Jose assembly plant and without wanting to argue im rather confident the hoses where genuine to the car. I bought the heater box, plenum, defroster ducts and tubes and they where all original and in perfect condition.

i have some other hoses on hand from Dearborn 66 cars and a example from a December 64 San Jose car will attempt to dig them out and include on this post

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 08:06:22 PM »
BOB.

thanks for your reply.  im happy to be corrected if im wrong with my hoses. Since your reply ive been trying to find the images you sent me 3+ years ago when i bought a set of original heater hoses from you to compare my example to yours.  could there be a assembly plant difference through the years or maybe multiple suppliers??

The car i took the above pictured hoses from was a February 66 Mustang X San Jose assembly plant and without wanting to argue im rather confident the hoses where genuine to the car. I bought the heater box, plenum, defroster ducts and tubes and they where all original and in perfect condition.

i have some other hoses on hand from Dearborn 66 cars and a example from a December 64 San Jose car will attempt to dig them out and include on this post

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
Phill ,I remember the ones I had well. I forgot I sold them to you. I hope you can find the pictures of the NOS original ones I sold you years ago because I am certain that those will match the ones in my posted picture which are smooth with no weave texture.   

hertz350

• 509-953-8400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 10:34:25 PM »
Here are pictures if the hose from Kevin Marti. The stripe measures 13/64" What does the stripe measure on assembly line ones?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 11:39:16 PM by hertz350 »
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 11:37:52 PM »
Here are pictures if the hose from Kevin Marti. The stripe measures 13/64" What does the stripe measure on assembly line ones?
I see now why you described 3 lines in your previous post.They apparently vary in appearance from different batches . The stripe looks the same size width wise but in your instance it looks like the roller wasn't evenly loaded with ink which resulted in the 3 line appearance. It should be a solid line like in the pictures Phill,Jeff and i posted. I haven't seen any Marti hoses striped in that way that I remember. That looks odd. I would send them back for the reason of a mis applied strip. Trying for another pair is your least expensive ,least time consuming and most likely least stress filled option. You don't have many options in the aftermarket for a alternative. Of course you can try for some nice used hoses however expect the price to be much more substantial if you can even find any and you will most likely have to stripe them yourself if your expectations are something that looks new looking.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 11:45:18 PM »
BOB.

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
Phill ,I wanted to add that it wouldn't be out of the question for a different mfg to have a different look . I have studied the hose issue for quite a few years and if it is mfg difference at the very least it must be a very small minority based on the multitude (relatively speaking ) of the smooth variety found in original matrix over the years. 

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 12:01:19 AM »
Guess I should post these over here also since we seem to have the discussion going on at multiple forums

To support and further the discussion here are a few ok pictures from the time period on new or fairly new cars

At least the cars above appear to have hoses striped with two wheels. Gap or no gap would be a result of how well the machine was adjusted. These pictures may illustrate and document one batch of hoses made this way as its not something I've seen on others that I recall

Now for some examples of ones found on unrestored cars taken more recently

Hate when they installed them with the stripe down :) Just makes it more difficult

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge