News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Anyone have stories of street racing back in the day?

Started by deathsled, November 10, 2020, 02:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on November 11, 2020, 08:52:38 PM
When I was 19 I got a ticket for street racing in Whittier with my new 1970 Road Runner. We were on the "normal" street racing site just south of Whittier Blve. When the cops stopped us the other guy in his GTO ran and they chased him a few blocks before he gave up.
They were mandatory appearance tickets. I asked to go to school so it wouldn't show up on my license. The judge kinda chuckled and asked the cop what he thought. The cop was OK with it and explained I stopped and was respectful whereas the other guy tried to run. The judge let me go to school and issued a bench warrant for the other guy who decided not show up at court.

Later I worked for the local PD and we'd street race after the night shift. There is an area called Via Verde that was just starting to be developed. Big 4 lane main street and several side roads to new lots but no houses yet. It was in the Sheriffs patrol area and one night he stopped by. Once everybody badged him he said just be gone when he came back after dinner. A few days later there was mention in the briefing that street racing had been observed in the area and everyone should keep and eye out. Hint taken.
What car haven't you driven....
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Quote from: FL SAAC on November 11, 2020, 08:02:51 PM
Not to sound disrespectful but was that 930T out of gas or parked when you passed him ?

Quote from: 557 on November 11, 2020, 12:58:08 PM
Pulled away from a 930 turbo once(with 3 passengers)once.That was fun...Best one though was back in my college days when the cute,blonde ,female San Diego police officer pulled up to next to me at an intersection in La Jolla,got on the P.A. and blurted out"No and you would probably beat me anyway."Took me a couple of seconds to realize she was referring to my HAVE YOU RACED A  SHELBY GT 500 LATELY bumper sticker.....That thing got me a LOT of attention(good and bad).But then again so did the car.Ever have the cops follow you for literally no reason?I have.MANY ,MANY times..... ;D 8)
.  No idea.maybe he couldn't drive,he tried though...LOL....Maybe Cal. Emissions cut its balls off???

6s855

I have a story similar to Rocket's.  Sometime in 69 I toasted a black 289 cobra with my V8 TVR on our favorite highway.  Daddy had just bought him this cobra but it was clear his driving skills were lacking.  On my way home on a twisty 35 mph 2 lane road cobra boy ran up on me wanting to try again.  I knew a cop was always at the bottom of the next hill so after I flipped him off he blew by me over the 2 yellow lines right into the speed trap.  Waved hello as I went by.  Sadly, I happened on an accident soon after where cobra boy cut someone off and got t-boned really hard on the passenger side.  Predictable, but still a sad end to a nice car.

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Mr T
thats what i love about you man,  let it roll and keep going
Much love

Quote from: 557 on November 11, 2020, 10:52:34 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC on November 11, 2020, 08:02:51 PM
Quote from: 557 on November 11, 2020, 12:58:08 PM
.  No idea.maybe he couldn't drive,he tried though...LOL....Maybe Cal. Emissions cut its balls off???
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: deathsled on November 11, 2020, 09:49:01 PMWhat car haven't you driven....

Hard to say I've owned over 150. But no Caddies and only about 20 foreign cars. Only a few of note there a double bubble Zagato Fiat and factory SAAB 99 rally car, XKE, Benz coupe from Europe with the good motor.
My latest toy - Everyone in SoCal has a Willow car.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless