News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

GT500 Starter Motor Replacement

Started by charlie D, January 28, 2020, 09:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Going Thing

Doug:
So you're the reason my rates went through the roof.   ;D  You never mentioned that klutz was your middle name..

shelbydoug

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 28, 2020, 08:36:19 PM
Doug:
So you're the reason my rates went through the roof.   ;D  You never mentioned that klutz was your middle name..

Your rates up? No. Not from me. These were just flesh wounds. I triage and do my own stitches.

When I pulled the Pitman arm, I was fortunate to duck. When it hit the floor, it took a big dent out of the concrete.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

cboss70

It looks like may of you like and use the RobbMC mini-starters.  Before ordering one for my 428 4spd is this the correct one- the one you guys have purchased? Ford Gen II Mini-Starter – PN 3001.

On a side note, it seems like all the stock replacement ones on Summit or Napa are for small blocks or big blocks with automatic transmissions - is the big block 4spd starter unique to itself? If I could get the correct one (a part number) and it would work with JBA headers I'd try that versus spending fives times more money on the RobbMC one.

shelbydoug

I would highly recommend FIRST trashing the original starter AND battery cables and replace them with at least a 0 gauge cable.

The original size cables are way undersized for even my small block and added considerable issues for hot starting.

If changing the cables doesn't fix the hot start issue, then  change out to an aftermarket starter.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: cboss70 on November 19, 2020, 04:58:06 PM
It looks like may of you like and use the RobbMC mini-starters.  Before ordering one for my 428 4spd is this the correct one- the one you guys have purchased? Ford Gen II Mini-Starter – PN 3001.

On a side note, it seems like all the stock replacement ones on Summit or Napa are for small blocks or big blocks with automatic transmissions - is the big block 4spd starter unique to itself? If I could get the correct one (a part number) and it would work with JBA headers I'd try that versus spending fives times more money on the RobbMC one.
You may be misinterpreting  information or the information your reading my be misleading. A smallblock starter has 2 ears and FE has 3 . The fe starter is the same regardless of if a auto or 4 speed from the factory. That should follow true with the aftermarket.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby