Author Topic: Restoration video of the Lime green 67 GT500 barn find from a few months ago  (Read 4036 times)

68krrrr

• SoCal Upland
    • View Profile
Found this cool follow up video of the restoration of the Lime green Gt500 barn find from a few months back, looks like they saved a lot of the original parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo7XV9bTUqo
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 12:21:19 PM by 68krrrr »
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

Mike G.

• View Profile
Great watch. Thanks for the heads up. Same plan I am taking on my BOSS. Mike G.

jswoody

• View Profile
Great post, thank you. 

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
Jerry did a fine job on that video. Well worth watching!
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Great video- love to see more like that with preservation approaches. I'd be interested in knowing what the detailer was using on the fender to remove and neutralize the rust in the stone chips but not damage the paint while doing it.  I've see people use Phosphoric acid (stronger but maybe leaves a residue) or Citric Acid (less strong) to neutralize and prep rust but I'd be worried about the paint. 

propayne

• View Profile

Royce, any idea as to the origin of the non-original 427? They said it was from 1968.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile

Royce, any idea as to the origin of the non-original 427? They said it was from 1968.

- Phillip
It is my understanding that it is/was a 68 427 block ,CJ balancer I don't remember what the heads were. I don't think that there was any info other specific info other then it had been replaced after the 428 engine was blown by a previous owner. A friend was the appraiser and did the work.I have a call into him and waiting to hear back. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

- Phillip
It is my understanding that it is/was a 68 427 block ,CJ balancer I don't remember what the heads were. I don't think that there was any info other specific info other then it had been replaced after the 428 engine was blown by a previous owner. A friend was the appraiser and did the work.I have a call into him and waiting to hear back.
I heard back and was told it was a 68 427 shortblock and they apparently back in the day used the 67 GT500 heads ,balancer etc. It sounds like a service replacement shortblock but who knows. I guess it dosn't matter ether way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Can anyone tell me where I might find a copy of the 1967 GT350/GT500 master assembly manual shown at the 2:00 minute mark?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Can anyone tell me where I might find a copy of the 1967 GT350/GT500 master assembly manual shown at the 2:00 minute mark?

Think Branda and Virginia Mustang both sell them
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Branda sells it .I think Branda got them from the Vinman years ago. Branda took the collection of blueprint drawings and reduced the size so that they could be published in a smaller reference manual . I have a full size set acquired 25 years ago or more which is harder to manage. Some are useful some are not . For example they are not real accurate with many details but the drawings give a general idea. They are best used used along with other corroborating information or they may confuse more then help. Do not take every aspect of them at face value . Confirm all details .
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:56:42 PM by Bob Gaines »

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Found this cool follow up video of the restoration of the Lime green Gt500 barn find from a few months back, looks like they saved a lot of the original parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo7XV9bTUqo

Thanks for posting. Great to hear they found a correct motor and that acid wash on the paint had remarkable results
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Branda sells it .I think Branda got them from the Vinman years ago. Branda took the collection of blueprint drawings and reduced the size so that they could be published in a smaller reference manual . I have a full size set acquired 25 years ago or more which is harder to manage. Some are useful some are not . For example they are not real accurate with many details but the drawings give a general idea. They are best used used along with other corroborating information or they may confuse more then help. Do not take every aspect of them at face value . Confirm all details .

Think Branda and Virginia Mustang both sell them

Thank you

430dragpack

• View Profile
Went to high school with Bob the detail guy.

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
Cool vidéo!