News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Acceptable shocks?

Started by gimmea250swb, November 19, 2020, 09:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gimmea250swb

I've been on the lookout for OEM blue shocks for my 66 - no luck.  For lack of originals, is there an acceptable replacement for judging?

What are the appropriate bolts for the front shock towers?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: gimmea250swb on November 19, 2020, 09:07:53 PM
I've been on the lookout for OEM blue shocks for my 66 - no luck.  For lack of originals, is there an acceptable replacement for judging?

What are the appropriate bolts for the front shock towers?
Dan Patch has a ad on ebay for a authentic reproduction alternative . If you can find some of the early Gabrial Striders front and back that were the preferred substitute for a number of decades then those would be the next best alternative. The earlier Gabrial Striders that were made up through the 80's and typically had the same shape as original plus were adjustable like original. They evolved over time and although adjustable the main body changed shape that did not mimic the assemblyline.  The bolts on the front were the same as regular Mustang.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: gimmea250swb on November 19, 2020, 09:07:53 PM

For judging purposes you can anticipate any features found with your shocks to possible result in a note and some form of deduction. This is so that you or others that have found the original looking parts are rewarded for them since that is the goal but don't expect to lose all the points available if there is one or two smaller details that are off. Good thing is that shocks like other items can be up graded when and if you find better or perfectly correct parts.

Details they will likely be looking for are color, shape, washers, hardware and thread details.

Have been able to convert used older non-adjustable shocks into ones that have captured 70%-or more of the points available in the category in the past. Providing another option but of course this isn't something you get with a credit card or order over the internet or out of a catalog.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gimmea250swb

Thank you both for the info.  Thanks for the lead on Dan Patch too.  I'll keep on the lookout for originals.

Bob, are the early striders you're referring to these white ones - not the exact ones, but the shape.  I know the attachments are different.

Jeff, what's specific about the walkers?

Sorry about the mis-key on the title.  Can "chocks" be fixed?

Coralsnake

You can fix the error

Select "modify" off the posting - upper right

JohnHouston

Dan (Patch) is a nice guy, too, FWIW.  I have bought a bunch of '55-57 Chevy convertible and FI parts from him over the years.  Small world.

John Dillman

silverton_ford

What is Dan Patch's Ebay name?

gimmea250swb

I just searched his name in google and found his page.

J_Speegle

Quote from: gimmea250swb on November 20, 2020, 07:06:17 AM

Think your referring to "washers" You have the front upper/top end "washers" with the and mark in the edge used for setting the shock setting and at the rear you have the washer closest to the shock body that was painted with the shock.

If you go the Stryder route try and find the oldest style (there are about 6 different styles over the years) so you get ones closer to the original look
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: gimmea250swb on November 20, 2020, 07:06:17 AM
Thank you both for the info.  Thanks for the lead on Dan Patch too.  I'll keep on the lookout for originals.

Bob, are the early striders you're referring to these white ones - not the exact ones, but the shape.  I know the attachments are different.

Sorry about the mis-key on the title.  Can "chocks" be fixed?
I posted a picture comparison of original and OEM strider adjustable. As you can see the adjustor ring underneath the shock head is very distinct and visible when observing under the hood.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Here is another comparison between an original (on right) and a later Stryder on the left. You notice that the washer is different in a couple of ways when compared to the original. There is also another version where the front washer is even smaller in diameter - might be from during the period when they were being made in Mexico

Here is a set (front and back) where the front upper washers are closer or the same as the originals but the rears are shaped differently. They don't have the "step" in the upper outer tube like originals did