News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Header bow rust fix

Started by hurlbird, November 20, 2020, 12:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlbird

Under the vinyl top just above the windshield I can see the signs of rust underneath. Id like to repair that without going overboard. Is it as simple as removing staples and pull the top back a bit exposing the rusted areas for repair and fold back/staple? thanks

Coralsnake

Unlikely that easy . That header is cast and I think its an alloy thats not easily repairable.

I think the last time I did that it was a replacement part. There was something with the threads or bolts for the latches that needed to be changed as well. It required a full top redo.

hurlbird

68blk500c

The front header bow is some kind of alloy material which deteriorates; not rust, however.  Similar to what happens to aluminum marine parts through galvanic corrosion.  Tough to repair.  If replacing, understand there are variations from year to year having to do with the latch pivots and the hooking mechanisms, as well as some hardware.     

Coralsnake

It can be done, but I would not say "easily"

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 68blk500c on November 20, 2020, 10:36:43 PM
The front header bow is some kind of alloy material which deteriorates; not rust, however.  Similar to what happens to aluminum marine parts through galvanic corrosion.  Tough to repair.  If replacing, understand there are variations from year to year having to do with the latch pivots and the hooking mechanisms, as well as some hardware.     
+1 die cast /pot metal . It is hard to weld repair satisfactorily and typically more economical and better results to be replaced with another undamaged or less damaged part.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby