News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

removing woodgrain from dash on KR4159

Started by Jack4159, November 22, 2020, 06:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack4159

Me again, apologies for posting with questions about every second day this is my first Shelby resto.
I do search the net for answers first and I really appreciate the expert advice available here.
I want to retain my original dash parts and bezel and they need rechroming(along with every other shiny part on the car).
So I had a tentative go at getting the original woodgrain applique off but it didn't want to come.
I tried with a fine flathead screwdriver but it seems the "wood" is well stuck and will come off in tiny slivers only.
Is there a trick to this, any advice?

Thanks once again.
Pic attached of bezel and also for interest, the KR on the 250km journey to the body shop(in Southern Western Australia) 

CSX 4133

My totally unprofessional suggestion might be to try steam to loosen the adhesive. Given the age it may not effective, hopefully someone chimes in with a better idea. Best of luck on your Shelby!

Bill

Heat gun on low setting, constantly move it around, should loosen up the original wood grain applique.

Uncomfortable with your skills with a heat gun and afraid you'll damage the bezel, stick it out in the direct sunlight for 4 hours on a day where the ambient air temps are 75 degrees or above and you should have the same effect.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Jack4159

Thanks gents, a little heat sounds like a good idea I will give it a try tomorrow.

CharlesTurner

Be careful with a heat gun, you'll risk heating the plastic too much and distorting the bezel itself.  In the past, I think the only thing that worked for me in the past was soaking in something like mineral spirits.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Jack4159

Quote from: CharlesTurner on November 23, 2020, 11:06:03 AM
Be careful with a heat gun, you'll risk heating the plastic too much and distorting the bezel itself.  In the past, I think the only thing that worked for me in the past was soaking in something like mineral spirits.
Yes I can now confirm that a heat gun, in my clumsy hands at least, will melt the bezel. Thankfully I saw it happening early and if I ever do manage to get the woodgrain off and the bezel rechromed the "modified" area will not be noticeable.
Somewhat chastened, I think I will now buy a new repro Scott Drake dash and bezel to install and tuck the originals away in a safe place(meaning away from me).

Coralsnake

Do not buy the Drake bezel.

Nos bezels are available for around $350
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Jack4159

Quote from: Coralsnake on November 25, 2020, 08:38:53 AM
Do not buy the Drake bezel.

Nos bezels are available for around $350
Thanks Pete, are the rest of the woodgrain dash pieces available nos also? My car is a/c.

Coralsnake

Coralsnake

Getting the dash to look good is always a challenge