News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Question: Were 66 Shelby 4sp. trans. always stamped???

Started by RPMRon, November 22, 2020, 05:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris Speedster

The Blue 68 GT-E 427 I had, did have a serial # stamped block.
1963 ford lightweight I had, did have a stamped trans.
Have had only one 67 gt 350 that did not have a engine serial # stamped, think it was one of the grey cars I had.
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

gt350hr

The lightweight is odd John. I've rebuilt several and owned a few too. Never saw a vin OR a tag on one. Same for 289 Cobra transmissions.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

Come on you bunch of cats and stay herded on the topic of  65/66 Shelby 4sp trans stamps. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Harris Speedster

Your right Bob !
I have had a 65 K fastback, plain jane, top loader stamped on small Bottom case tab, engine above the oil pan rail as commonly found.

I have never ran into a serial number stamped Borg Warner box, cast or aluminum.
Not sure about the ac cobra.

In brief Bob : GT 350hr, 63 had last 6 number digits on top trans ear,
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

427hunter

Quote from: J_Speegle on November 23, 2020, 02:06:09 PM
Quote from: 427hunter on November 23, 2020, 12:52:50 PM
........Since engine vin stamps were not a federal requirement till the 1968 FMVSS act did you find any born in k code drivelines with no vin?

The 68 requirement was different in that it covered all engines and transmissions - before that it was limited to high performance only (engines and transmissions) apparently not well monitored and as always some (like NJ examples and apparently Shelbys for some unknown reason)  slipped through

Think I posted this in Forum 1.0

Very interesting !
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Royce Peterson

That is a real oddity. I have owned several GT-E's and still own one. All have been stamped with a partial VIN on the cylinder head. Have not seen any GT-E with a VIN stamped block. Even the Dearborn 428CJ's had the VIN stamped in the cylinder head.

Here are a couple of mine -

Quote from: Harris Speedster on November 23, 2020, 02:15:34 PM
The Blue 68 GT-E 427 I had, did have a serial # stamped block.
1963 ford lightweight I had, did have a stamped trans.
Have had only one 67 gt 350 that did not have a engine serial # stamped, think it was one of the grey cars I had.
John
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Harris Speedster

Whats your point ?
My Boss 302 cars had it on the top deck of the block, by back of intake.
69 GT 350 conv had partial vin on cylinder head.
67 fairlaine lightweight, old miller car out of Oregon/Idaho, had it on the back of the block.
Trying to remember where the serial # was on the Boss 9's I had, ?
John

gt350hr

Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby