News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

68 GT350 Build Sheet Decoder

Started by Smity, November 23, 2020, 05:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smity

Hi, does anyone have a good resource to decode a build sheet?  Thank you!

Coralsnake

What are you trying to "decode" ? I am here to decode for you!

Every 1968 build sheet is remarkably similar, so ask specific questions.

Coralsnake

Tell me the DSO and the original color, that would be helpful

QuickSilverShelby

Post a picture of your build sheet Smity.    Heck, Pete (Coralsnake) won't even need to look it up, he'll just tell you everything you need to know from his memory.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Smity

Hi, trying to determine if the build sheet indicates this car came with tilt away column as original.  Thanks!

Smity

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Smity on November 23, 2020, 11:00:55 PM
Here's the build sheet.
There is a good chance that since the box where it reads "tilt wheel" is marked with a X that it was meant to have tilt .Is there not a extra hole in the driver door post for the tilt switch?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

Box D4 shows tilt, as does line G, the steering column code.

There should be signs of the tilt installation on the body. These include the hole for the door switch, hole in the firewall and under the battery apron.

If those are all missing, further investigation is warranted.

All 1968 Shelbys built after the first twenty days of production received tilt columns

Smity

There is a tilt column with the release cable, the wiring harness, and the door switch.  Not seeing a canister mounted under the battery tray, and no holes or dimples for mounting it under/behind the battery tray.  There is a hole in the firewall that could be for a vacuum line.  Here is a photo of the door switch and behind the battery tray in front of the front wheel.  It doesn't appear the panel behind the battery tray was replaced?  Thanks

Coralsnake

The door switch is easy enough to drill, the apron is concerning. Hopefully, we can determine what's going on there?

Have you checked the VIN stampings on the inner aprons (under the fender on right / under Shelby tag on left)?

Smity

Where should the vin be on the driver side?  There is a Shelby tag that is screwed to the top of the fender behind the shock tower.

Smity

Special Ed

Doesnt it look like the lower section of the battery apron was replaced and not he whole apron at one time  see the lines where it looks sectioned welded in .   I have fixed cars in the past from battery acid leak rust by cutting the battery tray area out of west coast cars and welding them in as so to keep the original assembly line lower battery tray  reinforcement plate in place since replacement nos aprons never came with the lower plate. Years ago I sent an original lower battery tray plate to bill at mansfield mustang to have them made since it was an assembly line only part and so many cars were missing them on older restorations.  69-70 plates are the same but 67 68 are different so make sure u get the correct plate when u order one from mansfield mustang.

Smity

Here's a photo from the battery tray side and there is a horizontal weld that I thought was factory.  They sure did a good job because everything looks tight and straight.  The rest of the apron appears to be original and fender never removed. Thanks!

Coralsnake

Those numbers are the mirror image on the passenger side (same location) but now under the fender lip