News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Does the 67 GT500 fuel pump get painted?

Started by shelbydoug, November 23, 2020, 05:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

430dragpack

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 23, 2020, 05:41:38 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on November 23, 2020, 05:39:08 PM
No . Stop smoking that skunk weed. :D
Bob,
Maybe he saw this....I know it's not a Shelby engine!  It has a blue painted AC fuel pump.  Oh, and not trying to give validity to his "high-ness"! ;)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 430dragpack on November 23, 2020, 07:52:59 PM
Bob,
Maybe he saw this....I know it's not a Shelby engine!  It has a blue painted AC fuel pump.  Oh, and not trying to give validity to his "high-ness"! ;)
Maybe,but that doesn't explain all the other times .  ;) :D :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

I didn't think so but in review some have said that anything that was installed on the engine before painting did get painted. In some cases such as the small blocks, that included things like the oil filter.

Also, some recent advertisements of "complete accurate engine assemblies" for sale have been adding to some of the confusion by me. So when I can get a response from Mr.Gaines I always value his view and opinions.

I do need to point out that I do not smoke anything, don't consume Alice B. Toklas brownies or visit prescription medical cafes in LA and perhaps that could be part of the perspective variations and maybe I should?

Significant in my case is long term effects of heavily leaded racing gas exhaust fumes. They are somewhat unpredictable long term yet potent and they have their own types of noticeable purple haze effects generated.

Someone once said to me that "one of the problems of being a genius explains why no one knows WTF 'you're' talking about". I presume that he was referring to himself and not me?

So probably some of my questions are best left to speaking in private like speaking to a Urologist? It's always potentially a problem to let others hear them as well?

Thank you to all for your POSITIVE responses. ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Royce Peterson

It's a display engine. Many things are not correct including the painted fuel pump and the painted filter adapter. Don't use that image for authenticity purposes.

Quote from: 430dragpack on November 23, 2020, 07:52:59 PM
Bob,
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

gt350hr

Assembly line oil filters were painted before installation as noted by the ( often) yellow ink stamped information on them. The display engine shown also has the fan clutch painted blue and the exhaust manifolds painted silver (IIRC). The fuel pump is a 427 (AC made) fuel pump , not a Carter. Other display engines had chrome parts added to them or were cut aways.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

Why did the oil filters need to be painted?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 01, 2020, 12:48:06 PM
Good question. My best guess is that the assemblyline filter was different in some way and Ford wanted to distinguish it from over the counter versions and of course if one fell into a lunch box by accident  ;) it could be distinguished form a legitimate retail version.

shelbydoug

Maybe someone objected at Ford to free advertising on the side of the filter?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

KR500

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 01, 2020, 12:48:06 PM
Maybe for warranty purposes? Customer comes in to the dealer with 1 year old car with 10K  ( 50 + years ago ) on the odometer, engine is toast, the service department clearly can see the assembly line oil filter is still in place. Warranty Void. Just a thought.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267