News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

GT500KR disassembling exterior mirrors

Started by Jack4159, November 27, 2020, 10:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack4159

Is there a way?
I can't figure out how to remove the mirror from the housing.
I have one standard mirror and one remote and both need rechroming.
Thanks in advance.

Coralsnake

It is glued in

Not something that is normally serviced

Jack4159

OK thanks once again, on the hunt for mirrors now.
I managed to get hold of a NOS dash bezel and also a C8OF-AA carb, so having some success.

Coralsnake

Those are good finds

There was no mirror on the passenger side, drivers side only

Coralsnake

Jack4159

Quote from: Coralsnake on November 27, 2020, 11:19:02 AM
The reproduction US made mirrors are nice. You do have to use your old adjustment knob, which unscrews.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Repro-Ford-1967-1968-Remote-Mirror-Galaxie-Fairlane-Falcon-Comet-Montego/401503248150?epid=2236200039&hash=item5d7b755f16:g:PLgAAOxy-o5R3GIv
Thank you re both posts, saved me a lot of searching and wondering which is best repro.I will order the mirror tomorrow.

KR500

Quote from: Jack4159 on November 27, 2020, 10:19:11 AM
Is there a way?
Thanks in advance.
Yes it can be done ( remote control mirror ), but it is tricky, tedious and usually painful. It is getting the remote cables released from the control assembly with out damaging it that's the pain ( figuratively and literately).
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

roddster

Quote from: KR500 on November 27, 2020, 11:31:08 AM
Is there a way?
Thanks in advance.
Yes it can be done ( remote control mirror ), but it is tricky, tedious and usually painful. It is getting the remote cables released from the control assembly with out damaging it that's the pain ( figuratively and literately).
Rodney
Label or color code where the cable goes into what part of the mechanism it cameout of.  Watch out when prying the cable mounts apart.  When reassembling,crimp carefully, and add a little epoxy to hold the cabled.

Jack4159

Quote from: roddster on November 28, 2020, 11:47:33 AM
Is there a way?
Thanks in advance.
Rodney
Label or color code where the cable goes into what part of the mechanism it cameout of.  Watch out when prying the cable mounts apart.  When reassembling,crimp carefully, and add a little epoxy to hold the cabled.
Thanks gents,
You are temping me to try, but if I have success with the cable how then do I remove the mirror itself from the housing? I assume when Pete said it is glued in that is the part he meant and I need to get it completely disassembled for rechroming if I am to re-use
Thanks again.

propayne

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

KR500

Quote from: Jack4159 on November 29, 2020, 06:47:01 AM
Quote from: roddster on November 28, 2020, 11:47:33 AM
Is there a way?
Thanks in advance.
Rodney
Thanks gents,
You are temping me to try, but if I have success with the cable how then do I remove the mirror itself from the housing? I assume when Pete said it is glued in that is the part he meant and I need to get it completely disassembled for rechroming if I am to re-use
Thanks again.
The mirror glass it's self is glued to a thin metal plate that in turn the control cables attach  to. Unless your mirror glass is damaged there is no need to do anything to this part other than to clean it.
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Jack4159

Ahhh I can see it now, thanks gents.
I think there is  better than even chance I would ruin the mirror attempting to get it apart, will keep it safe in the Shelby spares box and go with the repro I think.

Bob Gaines

The original glass is faintly date coded and is what makes the mirror assembly distinguishable from a generic reproduction. The glass can be transfered with some effort from a pitted original assembly into a repro body for a original look.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Jack4159

Thanks Bob, Pete and all.
Ok I'm sitting here mirror on workbench and if I think I can get it apart I will have a go, have the lot rechromed and stay original.I have the time so that is not an issue, I just don't want to butcher it.
Now, how do I release the mirror as Bob suggests? Heat, to free up the glue? If I get the mirror off I then could dremel grind off the mounting points for the control cables and the rest is cake?....but how to reattach?or is is better to detach the cables at the other end? That looks a tricky task releasing the crimps without breaking the housing.Better to cut the cables at the control knob end and silver solder back in? or can the crimp be opened up?