News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Carter #4254-S

Started by pbf777, November 28, 2020, 11:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

430dragpack

Here is the common Airtex 362 Ford FE pump, 2 variations, one earlier than the other. Very similar to the AC pumps.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 430dragpack on December 02, 2020, 08:20:16 AM
Here is a picture of one of the 66 427 Fairlanes and it has an AC style pump on it.  I don't have any idea how original the car is, but thought it was interesting.
I don'r know Fairlane identification ques like I do Mustang however it is interesting that the engine in the picture uses a rare to find introduced in 67 production C7AE - Thermostat housing(can tell by the shape). That housing uses the smaller thermostat which was not typically used until 1967 production on engines. If a 66 engine maybe that part got changed out by a PO. A common C5AE marked thermostat (different shape)would be more typical on a 66 engine IMO. I only bring it up because it could call into question the credibility of other components on a 66 engine.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

430dragpack

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 02, 2020, 11:24:51 AM
Quote from: 430dragpack on December 02, 2020, 08:20:16 AM
Here is a picture of one of the 66 427 Fairlanes and it has an AC style pump on it.  I don't have any idea how original the car is, but thought it was interesting.
I don'r know Fairlane identification ques like I do Mustang however it is interesting that the engine in the picture uses a rare to find introduced in 67 production C7AE - Thermostat housing(can tell by the shape). That housing uses the smaller thermostat which was not typically used until 1967 production on engines. If a 66 engine maybe that part got changed out by a PO. A common C5AE marked thermostat (different shape)would be more typical on a 66 engine IMO. I only bring it up because it could call into question the credibility of other components on a 66 engine.
Yep, that's why I thought it was interesting and said no knowledge of originality.  It could even be(most likely) the Airtex 362 pump instead of an AC 0294.

pbf777

Quote from: Royce Peterson on November 30, 2020, 10:59:47 AM
Through the magic of Google I found that the Carter 4254-S was original equipment on Chris Craft boats using the 427 Ford engine from 1966 - 1970.

I contacted the people at this web-site to inquire as to the foundation of the application description (and I purchased product also, as I needed such and I wasn't just another deadbeat looking for the free information and then proceed elsewhere to do business   ::)  ) and was informed that their application conclusion in this case was based on the familiar inquiry they have received over time rather than perhaps any true documentation from Carter stating such.  So I'm confident that this is probably an accurate statement for C.C., but then how many calls would one recall for say the few '67 "R" code Fairlane's produced, of a few which may have received this pump, from the few remaining examples from owners needing repair, of a pump considered wrong for the restoration of a car perhaps worthy of the expense of seeking the "correct" unit?        :-\

Also, again the Chris-Craft 427's appeared in 1966 (and actually I believe still available beyond 1970, maybe '72 or so?) and the Carter reference I have seen describes the 4254-S as being for: "1967 427", and not onward as presented elsewhere with other unit application descriptions.         :)

I'm still curious as to if any documentation on the 4254-S from Carter was available beyond that which we currently have, which is bleak.   And B.T.W., 430dragpack, who authored or where did the list you presented come from?       

And what was the time period for the change from "CARbureTER" to "CARTER" as cast on the upper housings, as it seems there was a period of over lapping in their uses?          ???

Scott.

430dragpack

Quote from: pbf777 on December 02, 2020, 02:27:57 PM
Quote from: Royce Peterson on November 30, 2020, 10:59:47 AM
Through the magic of Google I found that the Carter 4254-S was original equipment on Chris Craft boats using the 427 Ford engine from 1966 - 1970.

I'm still curious as to if any documentation on the 4254-S from Carter was available beyond that which we currently have, which is bleak.   And B.T.W., 430dragpack, who authored or where did the list you presented come from?       

And what was the time period for the change from "CARbureTER" to "CARTER" as cast on the upper housings, as it seems there was a period of over lapping in their uses?          ???

Scott.

Author Warner Robert. Fern Park, Fl.

1968-69. I've had plenty of the 1970 model year 4910S BOSS 302 fuel pumps that were of the CARbureTER logo and CARTER, that were originals used intermixed in the same year.

pbf777

Quote from: 430dragpack on December 02, 2020, 03:06:35 PM
Author Warner Robert. Fern Park, Fl.

If that's the little, light blue, pocket reference for Ford part numbers and applications authored by Robert Warner Lane, he was an employee of ours before and up to the time of this reference guide undertaking.          :-\

Scott.

430dragpack

I think it would be interesting to know the pressure of all the un-verifiable application pumps, that may give some insight as well.  Here is a higher pressure Carter sold by Ford for high-performance engines.

pbf777

Thank you again 430dragpack!       :)

An interesting pump listing not shown before; I wonder if it turns out to be the Carter #4539 unit shown on the other listing as an "or" possible application, although the C7 prefix would make it a retrofit for the earlier application listing or.............is it possible the 4254-S introduced for the as stated by Carter, the "1967 427" as solely a dealer available retrofit H.P. pump in the Ford system to be instituted as required as a retrofit in 1967 hence, the C7 Ford numbering, but perhaps no real specifically defined fitment by either Carter or Ford except as a "Class" rating as "D.S.O." aka. Ford Parts Dept. "race" parts?     ???

Scott.

B.T.W. Sunday I spotted a Carter "button-top" fuel pump laying in a pile of "stuff" on a swap-meet vendors table, in N.O.S. condition but out of the box, some ageing (patina   ::) ), but still mostly bright & shinny, never bolted up, couldn't read the numbers stamped as they were only lightly stamped and I need glasses, so I though what the heck, hey, how much for this?  He says do you know what it fits?  I said well, I can't see the numbers but it is for a small block Ford.  He says yeah, and it's brand new!  I said: well it's unused for it's intended purpose, but it's not exactly new, but how much do you want for it anyway?  He said: you can have it for $15 bucks; I followed with I'll go $10 bucks; he said $12 bucks and you can have it!  Back at the truck with my glasses I could read the stamped numbers of 4201S with a date code of 22A9, so I assume a service replacement, but still for $12 bucks!       8)

430dragpack

Found this '66 427 Fairlane auction result from May 2018 Mecum. Says it was restored by Bob Perkins.  It has an AC fuel pump on it, says AC on top like the 0294 pump.

430dragpack

Found this today in a March 1967, Ford shop manual.

GOAT12

Did anyone locate a source for rebuild kit for the AC fuel pump?   Thanks.