Author Topic: Ford v Ferrari: Why there needs to be a Sequel!  (Read 4087 times)

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
Ford v Ferrari: Why there needs to be a Sequel!
« on: November 28, 2020, 01:15:48 PM »
The groundwork has been laid down for a Sequel (Thanks to this article authored by Charles Bradley in the link below).

The drivers in focus would of course be Dan Gurney and AJ Foyt.
Combined with an all American designed, engineered, and built Ford GT the story line should be another hit for Hollywood.
A historically accurate approach could be taken with a sequel as the events were interesting enough without any liberties needed, like the first film.

Spread the word and perhaps this will come to light. Rumors can spread to reality with enough given hype.
The only question is who should play those roles?

https://us.motorsport.com/lemans/news/opinion-ford-ferrari-film-sequel/4605995/
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
Re: Ford v Ferrari: Why there needs to be a Sequel!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 01:56:49 PM »
Sounds like a great idea
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 03:05:09 PM »
Would this sequel also include a scene where Gurney drives a lap and can't get the door shut? Oh, and a scene having Henry Ford II acting like a buffoon?

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 04:30:00 PM »
The groundwork has been laid down for a Sequel (Thanks to this article authored by Charles Bradley in the link below).

The drivers in focus would of course be Dan Gurney and AJ Foyt.
Combined with an all American designed, engineered, and built Ford GT the story line should be another hit for Hollywood.
A historically accurate approach could be taken with a sequel as the events were interesting enough without any liberties needed, like the first film.

Spread the word and perhaps this will come to light. Rumors can spread to reality with enough given hype.
The only question is who should play those roles?

https://us.motorsport.com/lemans/news/opinion-ford-ferrari-film-sequel/4605995/

The first film didn't need any liberties to be taken - but that never stops Hollywood from doing so.   I imagine they will do it with the sequel if it gets made. OK, rant over.

Yes the repeat win in '67 by the all-American effort should be told.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 04:41:40 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 07:41:34 PM »
Question is how would a film like this hope to satisfy Hollywoods new woke standards and be historically accurate.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 08:25:38 PM »
Would this sequel also include a scene where Gurney drives a lap and can't get the door shut? Oh, and a scene having Henry Ford II acting like a buffoon?

Or would he be in the motorhome sipping hot chocolate while Foyt does back to back stints in the rain??

There is not enough back story to interest big media. Adam Corolla would do a good job on it. Starting from the dismal J Car tests at LeMans and the death of Miles at Riverside. They could even have a little side story on Dean Jefferies working in Ford's wind tunnel to get the MK IV body done and ending up with a Ford GT roadster and truckload of parts for a buck.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 08:52:10 PM »
Question is how would a film like this hope to satisfy Hollywoods new woke standards and be historically accurate.

Lets see. An American race car designed and built in America, wins Le Mans with American drivers. It'll never pass woke standards. Every one involved is too white and the global community would take a dim view of an American success story.

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 09:24:03 PM »
I loved Ford vs Ferrari, even with all the Hollywood liberties and inaccuracies.  Loved it!   AJ Foyt was a car racing hero of mine when I was a little kid and I would be ecstatic to see an AJ Foyt, Dan Gurney sequel.  This would be awesome on the big screen, just like Ford vs Ferrari was.

QSS

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 11:18:54 PM »

That's a good question. I guess we'll see if the sequel idea gets any traction (oops - unintended pun, but now that I see it - I like it ???)

We watched Hillbilly Elegy (on Netflix) last night, I commented to the wife... "I wonder how this got made in today's world?" - since the income inequality (etc.) doesn't match up to the current approved narration. Apparently it is being BLASTED by many critics.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 07:40:03 AM »
Ford vs Ferrari turned out to be a very nearly perfect thing. Wide auduance appeal, no political correctness BS, huge movie stars (except Matt Damon was too short to play Shelby). I saw it when it premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival. All the stars were in the audience and Roy Thomson Hall was filled to the roof. SRO.

I don't think we can repeat that feat when most of the audience drives an appliance. No one remembers the space program or the Rat Pack.

But...James Margolis was forced by the studio to cut 15 or 20 minutes out of the theatrical release.

Anybody out there with enough connections to get release of a Director's Cut?

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 09:01:46 AM »
I grew up in an Automotive- Racing family that has ties to both the past and the present. I have a family member that was one of the SUITS in the movie, from back in the 1960s... He was and is, a hard nosed, pile driving POS that calls himself a car guy but in reality he is a business man, bean counter in the automotive world. Some of my inlaws and outlaws are currently in the movie business in various capacities and are telling me there are no new block buster movies being produced because of COVID 19. In their opinions there wont be any more movies as we used to know them. The major theatre chains are out of business and continuing to go bankrupt, probably will never return! What seems to be taking place now is, we will rent movies to our homes for 20.00 a pop and think about bygone days of how we used to pile in our cars and head to the movies. Ford vs Ferrari with the A lister actors may become a thing of the past... We shall see.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 10:21:04 AM »
I had thought they should make a "continuation" movie about Shelby's life, from when he closed shop, went to Africa, came back, got the call to come to Iaccoca at Chrysler, had his heart surgery and wound up back with Ford again to the end. 
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 11:19:12 AM »
I had thought they should make a "continuation" movie about Shelby's life, from when he closed shop, went to Africa, came back, got the call to come to Iaccoca at Chrysler, had his heart surgery and wound up back with Ford again to the end.

That would be interesting as well

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 02:31:49 PM »
Based on my bit of involvement with Hollywood, and my substantial experience with car company execs, I would agree with 427heaven. 

Personally, I'd love to see a sequel. Foyt and Gurney and Shelby in '67 is a great story. (Definitely not with Damon, maybe Matthew McConaughey.)

But, the reality is what 427heaven and others here have already said:  The Hollywood of 2020 and beyond is not what it was when FvF was in development. And it's trending to get worse...lots worse.  The 25-to-45-year-olds who control entertainment today unequivocally do not want to make movies for people of our generation anymore.  The Ron Howard/Clint Eastwood type films will be limited to the life of those men, and their decreasing pull in Hollywood as they continue to age. Eastwood is a force unlike any other, with a big following. One he's gone, it's over for us guys who like the old days.

Rant over:  Heading back to my side-oiler-powered rocking chair now, with a torque wrench in my hand and a hearty f-you to woke Hollywood. 

Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2020, 02:47:37 PM »
Based on my bit of involvement with Hollywood, and my substantial experience with car company execs, I would agree with 427heaven. 

Personally, I'd love to see a sequel. Foyt and Gurney and Shelby in '67 is a great story. (Definitely not with Damon, maybe Matthew McConaughey.)

But, the reality is what 427heaven and others here have already said:  The Hollywood of 2020 and beyond is not what it was when FvF was in development. And it's trending to get worse...lots worse.  The 25-to-45-year-olds who control entertainment today unequivocally do not want to make movies for people of our generation anymore.  The Ron Howard/Clint Eastwood type films will be limited to the life of those men, and their decreasing pull in Hollywood as they continue to age. Eastwood is a force unlike any other, with a big following. One he's gone, it's over for us guys who like the old days.

Rant over:  Heading back to my side-oiler-powered rocking chair now, with a torque wrench in my hand and a hearty f-you to woke Hollywood.
Well said.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"