News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

5 S 114 -the Journey in Europe- NEW 03.12.21 - Greetings from Switzerland 9 / 65

Started by Szabo, November 29, 2020, 03:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

TransamEd

@Richstang . Yes, digging through the Zwischengas.com archive requires a subscription, which I have. Yet subscribing means to accept and follow the copyright hints not to post them in public forums and since I grew up with that in my business, I try to stay away from that. Not saying that I have been clean for decades:-)

You can see some free of charge large original size pictures of 5S114 in the following link at the bottom in the photo gallery.. (Pic 15/16/17)
https://www.zwischengas.com/de/FT/fahrzeugberichte/Springende-Mustangs-Shelby-Bullit-und-Eleanor.html?gallery=on&from=bottomgalleryteaser#gallery-15

Szabo

Dear Gentleman,

WOW, what massive replys and pics and infos in only 1 Day ...

THANK YOU very much, you are jump really forward on this :-D

of course some of the pics and infos i would also share at the right timecode,
my goal is always to bring the different pics and sources in a good timeline to
make a good history.

i will some pics repost at the right time with some more infors and details,
so please stay on the thread

Quote from: CharlesTurner on November 29, 2020, 09:14:05 PM
Here's the pics I have, I guess most were swiped from internet posts/sites...

Fantastic pics and stuff, thank you very much for your support
i love always coloured pics

Quote from: honker on November 29, 2020, 09:48:14 PM
Szabo, another great thread ! here's one I have in my files.

Mike

This Pic from the parking lot / Paddock is new for me, thanks a lot,
i would repost them for better overview

Szabo

For the 2nd station on the journey of 5S114 the Car goes to

the 24 Heures du Le Mans 19 & 20 June 1965

Le Mans is about 130 Miles away from Paris / Eifeltower,

the first batch of pics show 5S114 in the Paddock / Garage of Le Mans, where
SAI has some caravan to sleep in the near of the track

here is the 65 Layout of the track with some buildings,
the big aera is divided in several Garage (Vert, Blanc, Blue, Rouge)
but at the moment i am not sure where the Shelby Paddock was

Thanks to HONKER for the new to me Pic

soon i will post the second batch of pics and his official Introduction at Le Mans

chris NOS

I remember seeing a picture when it was loaded on plane to come to France ,but i can't find it ...anybody ? Then you could even start story from USA ;)

joephil

Article in the french magazine "l'Automobile" N ° 232 August 1965 with photos taken in Riverside.
The article is from August 1965 and it is written that the owner is Alessandro de Tomaso.

Szabo

thank you for all the answers ...

I am very happy that there is so much interest in 5s114 but please let's proceed chronologically, with details and locations

Sometimes I prepare for reports over weeks and hours and look for details and explanations

Please do not get me wrong on this.

Szabo

Quote from: chris NOS on December 01, 2020, 03:42:27 AM
I remember seeing a picture when it was loaded on plane to come to France ,but i can't find it ...anybody ? Then you could even start story from USA ;)

that would be awesome ...
but i learned is that the Car was shipped from New York to Le Havre per ship,
so maybe the pic shows transportation from LAX to NY.

Szabo

I would now like to show the second part of the Le Mans 65 pictures.

They are very different from the paddock pictures, because of the suits,
the gravel and the surroundings they look somehow noble and classy.

Most of the Pics are showed here befor, and for a long time there where new to me,
but i am not the only one who hunt for rare Pics.  ;D

So i will focus on some Details and/or Pics where not be showed here...

This one is the most famous with CS and some senior member of the ACO
( Automobile Club de l'Ouest )

This automobile club organizes the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
one person is the president of the ACO, named Jean-Marie Lelievre

This one is important for the later discussed location Details,
so please note the one of the main platform are very empty,
no visitors or audience is seen

here we see "Big Jim" James McLean drive the Shelby to the presentation aera

from the colored Pics i choose two,
in the first one showed that the Person has also a 65 Press Pack, that lies on the gravel

the second is used to identify the windshield sticker.

the first is square and shows that it belongs to one of the garages (red, blue, white ...)
(note: this is not the original !)

the second is triangular and has been mirrored for the correct inscription:
"Les 24 Heures du Mans ... 1965 ... Signalisation Mulsanne"
at the Corner after the long straight road of Mulsanne was some sort of special aera
where Teamchiefs were able to pass information on to their drivers on boards, back then there was no radio or intercom

i dont know much more about that, but to pass the aera this sign was necessary

Szabo

Finally, I would like to show how big Le Mans actually was, how many people had space in the stands and how big the area was.

In addition, I was always interested in where the recordings were made, this artistic tower presented itself as the "BP" tower, where it was shown which driver was where at the race.

There was a small area on the start / finish straight behind the main grandstand with the paddocks where this "BP" tower was set up.

In this picture from 65 you can see the first curve after the start / finish straight, if you compare this picture with the background of the second picture from the last post you can see the platform with "HUILES RENAULT" lettering and the large grandstand with the " LUCAS "Advertising on the top

In the middle you can see the artistic display tower with the "BP" sign

at this Pic from 66 we can better see the Aera behind the Main Stage with Paddock and the "BP" Sign Tower

i found also a Pic from the "BP" Tower for itself

Now i am finished with Le Mans and now the Journey really began, forward to an unknown Alpina Pass and Italy,
please share your thoughts

Richstang

Quote from: Szabo on December 01, 2020, 05:06:28 PM
I would now like to show the second part of the Le Mans 65 pictures.

here we see "Big Jim" James McLean drive the Shelby to the presentation aera

the second is triangular and has been mirrored for the correct inscription:
"Les 24 Heures du Mans ... 1965 ... Signalisation Mulsanne"
at the Corner after the long straight road of Mulsanne was some sort of special aera
where Teamchiefs were able to pass information on to their drivers on boards, back then there was no radio or intercom

i dont know much more about that, but to pass the aera this sign was necessary

Stephan,
Thank you for all the work you are putting into this 5s114 'Journey' and also for trying to follow the date order (timecode) to help us see how it all unfolds.
Your captions are very informative and a nice addition, as opposed to just posting the photos by themselves.

The name matching photo ID for James McLean (and his nickname 'Big Jim") was a bonus for anyone looking for images of SAI employees.

It was also interesting to read about the Signal Station after the Mulsanne Straight. That was new info for me.
Neat to read the triangle pass taped on the windshield was required for the teams to access that area.

Richstang

Quote from: Szabo on December 01, 2020, 05:23:39 PM
Finally, I would like to show how big Le Mans actually was, how many people had space in the stands and how big the area was.

In addition, I was always interested in where the recordings were made, this artistic tower presented itself as the "BP" tower, where it was shown which driver was where at the race.

There was a small area on the start / finish straight behind the main grandstand with the paddocks where this "BP" tower was set up.

In this picture from 65 you can see the first curve after the start / finish straight, if you compare this picture with the background of the second picture from the last post you can see the platform with "HUILES RENAULT" lettering and the large grandstand with the " LUCAS "Advertising on the top

In the middle you can see the artistic display tower with the "BP" sign

The aerial photo only show us a hint about how large this track was. The first photo shows that front straight was longer than we might think.

It is also neat to see the area at the end of the front straight at the beginning of the right turn. (Mulsanne corner?) I don't recall seeing that area from a distant view.
Most of the vintage photos I've looked at for LeMans are close ups of the GT40s. These are a welcome overview of the area...

Thanks again for posting all of this.

Coralsnake