Author Topic: 5 S 114 -the Journey in Europe- NEW 03.12.21 - Greetings from Switzerland 9 / 65  (Read 11821 times)

Szabo

• View Profile
Thanks Rich and Pete for your answers and praise to the work

The next section covers the journey of 5s114 from Le Mans to the Modena Autodrome,
and is based initially on a few words by Peter Brock and two pictures on the 1965gt350.com page

This Mean that Peter Brock drives the Car over 700 Miles from Paris to Modena,
surley not an 1 Day / 1 Night Job, so it took several Days and i really dont think he was alone

The further thoughts on the crossing are speculative and based on today's possibilities, there are no historical maps.
some roads were not built at that time.

the gray lines would lead through the tunnel below the mountain "Mont Blanc", but this was official first opened in JULY 1965,
so I am starting from the route after Lyon (French) to Turin (Italy) to came asap to a motorway (red line)

Brock also speaks of the "Autostrada des Sol" which leads from Milan to Modena, this is the first motorway that was built in Italy

Edith: 03.12.2021 Car has Goodyear Sticker after "Fangio Test" at the beginning of September 1965, but not shown on "Auto-, Motor-
und Sport" Test from End September / Beginning October --- Pics could only make from 07 - 10 / 1965

For the Car it is very special and only see for a very short Timecode that some "Goodyear" Sticker was on the Frontfender,
the Front Grill Mustang Emblem was installed and
please note that the Engine bay was even clean and not very dirty...

I tried different alpine passes to find the "wild alpine passes" but this seems impossible to me,
but I managed to find a picture that shows the car befor a large mountain covered with snow on the top.

It also shows the "Goodyear" sticker on the fender...

i found also several other Pics, they clearly shows 5s114 with Goodyear sticker, there are not used to print in
car magazine i know...
But what you can see, the Engine Bay and the Carpet of the Driver side are very dirty
(of Course the Car was on a 700 Miles Journey)

soon i will show the second part of the Car in Italy on the Modena Racetrack, and the
well known Test by Fangio.
(but maybe with some unknown Pics to that :-D)

but at the Moment i am still search for SAAC "The Shelby American" Number 36 and 37 to compare
Peter Brock thoughts and some Pics of the Fangio Test, can anyone help on this ???

Hope you enjoy and have fun to read, so share your thought and maybe some
other Pics to this Point of the Party...

« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 05:41:56 PM by Szabo »

texas swede

• View Profile
A couple of interesting observations from looking at all these pictures of 5S114.
The horse emblem at the left side of the grill seems to have disappeared at some point.
The three screws holding the passenger side kick panel seem to have a larger head than the
ones normally used on restored cars.
Texas Swede

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
...Also the white headers, think we've discussed this before.
Dave - 6S1757

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Stephan, it is in my view rather likely that Peter Brock went via Geneve, as the car was "handled" by Ecurie Filipinetti soon after ...(dates to be researched) the pics in front of the stone walls appear also to be from the environment of the Filipinetti castle.  (check the castle environment from 1967 https://www.ina.fr/video/CPF07011761)
The car was also later picked up from magazines from Geneve/Filipineti. Aside from that most Shelbys in 1965 were adressed to and handled by Filipinetti and later Ford Performance Ltd. (founded by George) for central Europe. (with Intersport and FAV/Alan Mann being the others). The deal with the Ickx family was not closed, so Dubois got the the Benelux area.

The AMS article also speaks about picking 5S114 there in Geneve.

Bernard Cahier (SCG reporter in Europe) also mentioned that he had a hand on this car (5S114) in the travelling and coordination of the contacts with the press publications. Bernard was everywhere in the hotspots of Ford Performance including visits to Alan Mann, Goldfinger, later Grand Prix adventures and had as well a loaned Shelby in 66 (6S341 I think without reviewing again).
The reason for Brock going from Le Mans to Modena area lies most proably in the fact that the Daytona Coupes were made at Carrozeria Gransport which was across the street of the Ferrari body works Car. Fantuzzi.
Just to add a bit background.

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
It is also neat to see the area at the end of the front straight at the beginning of the right turn. (Mulsanne corner?) I don't recall seeing that area from a distant view.
Most of the vintage photos I've looked at for LeMans are close ups of the GT40s. These are a welcome overview of the area...

The curve at the end of the pit straight is the "Dunlop Curve" that then leads into the "Esses" where many photos of GT40's & MK-IVs were taken because it's a great photo view.  Rounding Tertre Rouge heads onto the long Mulsanne straight.
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
A couple of interesting observations from looking at all these pictures of 5S114.
The horse emblem at the left side of the grill seems to have disappeared at some point.
The three screws holding the passenger side kick panel seem to have a larger head than the
ones normally used on restored cars.
Texas Swede

Looks like a red cap Autolite battery with raised warning lettering also...
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Szabo

• View Profile
It is also neat to see the area at the end of the front straight at the beginning of the right turn. (Mulsanne corner?) I don't recall seeing that area from a distant view.
Most of the vintage photos I've looked at for LeMans are close ups of the GT40s. These are a welcome overview of the area...

The curve at the end of the pit straight is the "Dunlop Curve" that then leads into the "Esses" where many photos of GT40's & MK-IVs were taken because it's a great photo view.  Rounding Tertre Rouge heads onto the long Mulsanne straight.

Thanks for the Photo, i dont know the Name of the first Curve

the Mulsanne Curve was a lot more edged and with less action from vierwers or platforms
and there was no BP Tower at all

Szabo

• View Profile
Thanks TransamEd for your thoughts,

in some of your words i can agree but sometimes even not so...

Stephan, it is in my view rather likely that Peter Brock went via Geneve, as the car was "handled" by Ecurie Filipinetti soon after ...(dates to be researched)

Filipinetti was on Hand at the first Day, he was also on LeMans of 65 ...

Of course it would be possible that Brock drove via Geneva, but he would then also put it on the record, right?

The castle is located in the middle of Switzerland and the passage would also have been at least a 1 day tour.

I added the lock to the map to show the deviation from the original route ...

Howard Pardee sent me the Info that Fitipilinetti was "invoicd" for 3000 Dollar on 29 September 1965 ...
Sure somebody befor was necessary to check the Car, give Oil and Service at all... but when i look on a little timeline
i think the Car was in Italy about June / July and then go back

I dont understand the term "invoiced" not so good in German ...
does this means the SAI send Filipinetti a Bill over 3000 Dollar for the used Shelby GT350 with
surely over 2000 Miles on it ???

the pics in front of the stone walls appear also to be from the environment of the Filipinetti castle.  (check the castle environment from 1967 https://www.ina.fr/video/CPF07011761)

i checked the video many times, and also compare to the very good Google Street view pics... it would take to long in this
thread to explain that the pics doesnt take on the Castle, when described simply the walls are to high at all sides ...
and the tour the cars take in the video is also the only way to get in or out with a car to the castle

Check the google street view, you can even go thruw the wood gates ... exact like 67

But i agree that the textur of the stones are similar to the castle, but there are more Castles in French an Italy also..

The car was also later picked up from magazines from Geneve/Filipineti. Aside from that most Shelbys in 1965 were adressed to and handled by Filipinetti and later Ford Performance Ltd. (founded by George) for central Europe. (with Intersport and FAV/Alan Mann being the others). The deal with the Ickx family was not closed, so Dubois got the the Benelux area.

The AMS article also speaks about picking 5S114 there in Geneve.

The only article on a magazin i know where it is spoken that the car is taken from Geneva is the AMS Articel from
October 1965 ... thats would fit very good to that "Invoiced" Term on 29 September 1965

all other Articel i know shows Pics from Modena Racetrack ...

When you have such other magazin i would appreciate it very much to see them ...

Bernard Cahier (SCG reporter in Europe) also mentioned that he had a hand on this car (5S114) in the travelling and coordination of the contacts with the press publications. Bernard was everywhere in the hotspots of Ford Performance including visits to Alan Mann, Goldfinger, later Grand Prix adventures and had as well a loaned Shelby in 66 (6S341 I think without reviewing again).
The reason for Brock going from Le Mans to Modena area lies most proably in the fact that the Daytona Coupes were made at Carrozeria Gransport which was across the street of the Ferrari body works Car. Fantuzzi.
Just to add a bit background.

There was surley a strong connection between Brock an Italy Carrozeria Gransport and De Tomaso also ...
Daytona Coupe, Super Coupe Type 65 and the De Tomaso P70 are some example, but i am not so common to
the only dates when the only cars was make ...

Szabo

• View Profile
in the last posts i forgot to ad a little timeline ...

03 / 1965 - Car finished on SAI

05 / 14 / 1965 - Car came to Le Havre per Ship and go to Paris for "Eifeltower" Shoot

06 / 19 & 20 / 1965 - Le Mans 1965 car was on several Pics shown

06 / ? ? ? / 1965 - going over Alpine pass to Italy, driven by Peter Brock

06 / befor 29 / 1965 - Test Autodromo di Modena with Fangio

so i would continue with the Journey and come to the Autodromo di Modena

De Tomaso had business ties with Shelby, so it is not surprising that the car was loaned out for Puplic Relations,
anybody knows if Italy has an Importeur for 65 / 66 Shelbys ?

The Test drive from Fangio should be known from the most of us but i hope to get some
new pics and content

The "LA Times" brought a Articel from a Italy Newspaper about a "Cobra-Mustang Test with Fangio"

i was not able to get the hole articel from the LA Times, but i found out the Articel was
released on 06 / 29 / 1965 ... so the Test with Fangio shortly befor

of the later relased Road & Track Articel in November 1965 it is known the
Photograph was a Pete Coltrin

after a long time of search i was very happy to find the original
film Negative of the shootings ... 35 Pics pure pleasure

Thankfully i was allowed to show the negativ, for more information and the oppotunity
to geht larger pics and posters from the negatives look at the homepage

(please note the the Date 29 / 07 / 1965 cant be right, because of the LA Articel)

The Road & Track Articel researched the "LA Times" article or the Italian original article very well
and describes that various things like "Cobra-Mustang" or 3500 cc are simply wrong ...
even Fangio's lap time doesn't seem to be right

The Italian Verb "La Bugia ha le Gambe Corte" means "Lies have short legs" and
indicate that the italien Articel was not very well reported to the facts...

i also find a Mini Pic of De Tomaso with 5s114 on a later Articel,
argentinian auto magazine, the text has nothing to do with the test ...

By the way, it was not unusal that Fangio make test ride on the Modena race track
here you can see him on the track with Mercedes 600

Hope you enjoy and share your thoughts,
next step is to show some Magazin Test from the Car in Europe

DRGT350

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 5 S 114 - the Journey in Europe - 6 / 65 Modena Test - 35 negativ Film Pics
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2020, 06:48:31 PM »
Nice work !

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2020, 03:28:01 PM »
The other journalist who wrote about 5S114 was Etienne Cornil, his pics appeared in Automundo, a dutch magazine (probably Autovisie) and a french one (L'automobile Aout 65). All 3 articles mention that the car "belonged" to De Tomaso at that time (Automundo was first July 28th, 1965). His pics are visible here at
https://www.facebook.com/archivodeautos/posts/1193353404034873/

Stephan, you may be right that the castle could be also an italian one, but since they are sourced from Autorevue/Switzerland based in Geneve, I still think they are from that area, maybe after it returned from Italy. I may review Bernard Cahiers written comment meanwhile on 5S114 back then, while I was in touch with him for other pictures.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 03:51:17 PM by TransamEd »

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2020, 05:12:57 PM »
Hello all
and TransamED

It seems like the story has already been told ...

You are absolutely right that the journalist Etienne Cornil wrote the
basic article and that the pictures are very similar until the same ...
(i hoped a little bit that was a little secret to that point)

If you translate the articles you can see that they are very similar to the same.
Etienne wrote that the GT350 belongs to De Tomaso ...

The pictures were all taken at the Autodromo di Modena during the test with Fangio.

it was not unsual that a Journalist sells his story to several different magazine.

I still hope to be able to give you a good and well-founded insight into the 3 articles and pictures and the magazines.

I still hope to be able to give you a good and well-founded insight into the
1 to 3 articles and pictures and the magazines.

First Magazine to show is

Automondo from 28 07 1965

the magazine was Argentinian and the language was Spanish ...

please note that this Pic has a other underground, the dont stand on asphalt, it stands on gras

the second magazine was

LŽAutomobil August 1965
this was a french magazine

only the street pics are from the Autodromo di Modena Test, the other are from Introduction Day from Riverside 27 Januar 1965

the last magazine i know was

Autovisie 1965
this was from Netherland in dutch language

the car stands on gras, but when you look on the first test, you see that is clearly the same car and test...

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2020, 06:30:44 PM »
the updated timeline

03 / 1965 - Car finished on SAI

05 / 14 / 1965 - Car came to Le Havre per Ship and go to Paris for "Eifeltower" Shoot

06 / 19 & 20 / 1965 - Le Mans 1965 car was on several Pics shown

06 / ? ? ? / 1965 - going over Alpine pass to Italy, driven by Peter Brock

06 / befor 29 / 1965 - Test Autodromo di Modena with Fangio

07 - 08 / 1965   Pics of the Car appears in 3 Magazine (Automondeo 7/65, LŽAutomobil 8/65 and Autovisie)

09 / 29 / 1965 SAI invoice Filipinetti 3000 Dollar for 5s114

10 / 1965  Car was back in Geneva and "Auto, Motor und Sport" Magazin test drive from Geneva to Stuttgart and back

11 / 65   Road & Track research the Story of LA-Times, the Italian Newspaper and the Test with Fangio

The Last test i know was

Auto, Motor und Sport 10 / 1965
Test was in german and Car was driven from Geneva to Stuttgart and back

Headquarter of Auto, Motor und Sport (in english Car, Engine and Sport) was near of my hometown in Stuttgart City
and i am sure the pics where made on the "Schloss Solitude" but why the heck dont make with the Castle in the backround ???

i was able to find out with some Google Street View Pics where the Car stands.

i wrote the edorital staff and was promised to get contact to the Archiv but at this point i get no email back.

i make a analysed the pics and try to find the spot where the Car stands...

but the question is why they make pics with the Castle in the backround ?

After returning the Car back to Geneva i lost the route ... all i get from Howard is that the Car was on 2002 still in the
Hand of a Swiss Family and are in good condition.

i will do research to get new content ...
but for this i am finished with all i find

Let me know what you think about all that, have you find other things from the car
i would be very happy to find more...

thanks all for watching and reading

Greets from Germany

Stephan

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 5 S 114 - the Journey in Europe - Argentina, Dutch, French and Geman Tests
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2020, 12:39:51 PM »
Good to see the 3 articles in higher res, I had them only in lower resolution from other sources.

I wonder a bit about the actual sale date 29.Sept.65 and AMS being published 02.Oct.

Obviously the car was driven by AMS at least 3 weeks before the 2nd. October. The normal publishing delay was about 2 weeks in those days (writing/editing/proofreading/print prep and finally printing and distribution and then subscribers got the mag typically a few days before the 2nd. Oct. Not important, but it would only tell that the car was sold to Filipinetti after the AMS actual test drive.
The article might have been written even earlier.

The car was later sold to 2 brothers who had it on display in their bar/pub/restaurant. I have the name, but I think they do not want their name here. For a long time the saying was that it was hanging under the ceiling, yet a friend from the swiss Mustang club told me after a visit at that time, that it was standing on its own wheels there together with other Shelby engines collected. Would be good to find pictures.

The car later was bought by the current owners - an italian family living in Switzerland which is listed in the registry.

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
Re: 5 S 114 - the Journey in Europe - Argentina, Dutch, French and Geman Tests
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2020, 02:26:24 PM »
Still i don't undesrtand why the autor wrote  350 GT for the model ... needed to translate GT350 ?!!!!