News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Sequential Box hook

Started by shelbymann1970, November 30, 2020, 07:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 69 GT350 Vert on December 02, 2020, 07:04:10 PM
Photo
I feel like I have to comment that when you changed to the correct hook you should not have used the seam sealer to disguise the installation . That looks out of the ordinary compared to original. I would not like to see that copied by others. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69 GT350 Vert

When i had my trunk repainted back to original red (was painted black) by a shop in 2013, they looked closely at my trunk floors and said they were original.  Which makes sense as my car is a California car with no rust.  What was interesting is my early car #100 appeared to never have evidence of a hook being welded into my car according to the shop.  I started a thread on this on Forum 1.0.  Consensus was I should add the hook because it should have been there based on the majority of cars observed.  Consequently, I added the hook.  When I started that thread on the old forum, I did receive some other photos, which I kept and attached below. 

Special Ed

I have seen deadner around original hooks.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Special Ed on December 03, 2020, 12:19:33 PM
I have seen deadner around original hooks.
Ed, I have too.  My point is that the ones with the deadner were not typical where as the ones without sound deadener were typical. I discourage non typical features copied unless it was correct for that specific car it is being used on. But that is just me.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Special Ed on December 02, 2020, 06:33:26 PM
Remember cougar trunk floors are different than mustang so the hook was designed to only fit cougars but was added to 69 shelbys also
here is their pic of a used hook they sell. I will assume it is an incorrect pic of a 69 bracket/hook? Can you guys comment on the pic? Thanks to all for the pics provided and the expert info. Gary
https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/69seqhook.html?sessionthemeid=26
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on December 03, 2020, 05:53:47 PM
here is their pic of a used hook they sell. I will assume it is an incorrect pic of a 69 bracket/hook? Can you guys comment on the pic? Thanks to all for the pics provided and the expert info. Gary

To be certain one would want to measure the total length of the metal. You could reshape and remove the step that is apparent in the picture and make it flat/straight as used (still leaving the bend for the hook) for the Shelby application
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbymann1970

Quote from: J_Speegle on December 03, 2020, 06:20:04 PM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on December 03, 2020, 05:53:47 PM

To be certain one would want to measure the total length of the metal. You could reshape and remove the step that is apparent in the picture and make it flat/straight as used (still leaving the bend for the hook) for the Shelby application
I found one for sale locally that appears to not have that bend seen in the WCC's pic in my link. It is out of a Cougar I was told. Would this look correct?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Special Ed

The hook in the add with the lowered bend maybe out of a 71 cougar or a later running change but most i seen were flat in 69 cougars anyway.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Special Ed on December 04, 2020, 12:59:46 PM
The hook in the add with the lowered bend maybe out of a 71 cougar or a later running change but most i seen were flat in 69 cougars anyway.
Thanks. I'm think WCC just used a file photo for all years. Hard to think they would sell an incorrect one year wise. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

here are 2 pics of my bracket. I have no reason to believe because of the heavy surface rust on the other side of what's left of the trunk that this wasn't original to the Cougar it was cut out of. In the top pic there was undercoating on part of the bracket along the bottom  edge  as seen in the top pic and you can see "cleaner" metal protected by the undercoat also(refer to reply #21 for before pics). The undercoating a little got down in the hook portion. It is always easy to tell undercoating when you are blasting it off. The bottom of the hook appears to never have been painted and was bare steel. Floor was dimpled in the Cougar for correct hook placement.  Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990